Irvine Chinese School, Karis or Little Dynasty?

AW said:
Another thing would be at home. Speaking English or Chinese or chinglese to the kids. 

That's how I learned, and comic books.  Now I pay a mini mortgage to send my kid to school.  Maybe I should just buy her some comic books.

ps9 said:
AW said:
Another thing would be at home. Speaking English or Chinese or chinglese to the kids. 

That's how I learned, and comic books.  Now I pay a mini mortgage to send my kid to school.  Maybe I should just buy her some comic books.

Can also make them watch soap operas!

ps9 said:
AW said:

My parents encouraged me to speak English only at home, and ICS was kind of an afterthought. Now I'm dating a girl from Hong Kong, and feel like a total idiot (linguistically) when visiting her folks in Asia. #abcproblems

happytales said:
ps9 said:
AW said:

That's pretty much how I learned. There and at the MJ table.

As a certified tutor who has helped people learn a non-native language, here are some tips that can help you teach your child any language whether it be English or Chinese:

1) Play games in the new language. Learning should be fun. It should be kept to brief sessions of no more than 30 minutes to an hour, max. Any longer and the person (child or adult) may grow tired or frustrated.

2) Journal. Get a spiral-bound notebook. Start off with you writing a question for them such as, "What would you do if you won the lottery?" Let them reply in writing. Not too long. Keep it to one side of a page. You reply on the other side. Trade back & forth over a period of time.

3) Be careful in how you correct them. If they write to you like this in the journal: "My favoritt subjekt en skool is math." Do not correct it in a red pen and cross things out. Write back using as many of the incorrect items as you can, for example: "I am glad you like school. My favorite subject was also math." Work it into the conversation. Same goes for grammar. 

4) Remember the Rule of Threes. When you teach a new word, say it 3 times. Three is a number which has been shown to reinforce memory. For example, when you hear a radio commercial, they will repeat the phone number back to you 3x.

happytales said:
ps9 said:
AW said:

Oddly enough, many people have learned English just by watching American trash T.V. I kid you not.

Reading to kids is always helpful.

Thanks for your input.  My coworker who speaks fluent Chinese just offered my kids Chinese immersion play dates on the weekends, after they learn some basic words.  That sounds good to me.  I am leaning toward starting the lessons at Karis or Little Dynasty and see how it goes.

irvinehomeowner said:
Where is qwerspanol? I think his kid is tri-lingual.

two languages is week. at 2 years old she can say Konichiwa, Pho, agua and of course english. So what is that, 4 languages? Harvard here we come!

Haha.  Most 2 year olds can count 1 to 10 in Spanish, thanks to Dora.  We need more popular cartoon characters talking in foreign language on every episode.

SoCal said:
Where is Pisa's (faux) outrage at the "dangerous" racial comments? He must be on vacation.
Hi SoCal - haha, I must have really struck a nerve exposing your misleading drug tales.

I enjoy some racial comedy and humor. this thread is funny. it's about context, and unfortunately imo, your posts were the "subtle but serious" type of comments which I find "concerning."

btw, was "dangerous" my word or just socal being socal?

Let's make a deal. You quit the exaggerations and misleading stories. And then I won't have to call you out. Kapish?  ;)

pisa said:
Let's make a deal. You quit the exaggerations and misleading stories. And then I won't have to call you out. Kapish?  ;)

Are you threatening to damage to my reputation unless I do as you say? That is called blackmail. Blackmail is not okay. Threatening another member doesn't put you in the most favorable light. You should re-think that. Didn't you ever wonder why I never responded to your original post where you tried to mischaracterize me? Because it's one of the most bizarre, utterly ridiculous comments I've read in 10 years of T.I./IHB. Quite frankly, it was not even deserving of a reply. You're not going to intimidate me into doing what you want, either. I stand by what I posted regarding the heroin problem. If you don't like it -- tough. You registered here a matter of months ago and act like you know everything when in reality, you don't have any frame of reference. Not that I would expect you to -- you're new. That's normal. We've all been new at one time or another. Yet you have a handful of posts here, typed in sensationalized all caps and exclamation marks, pointing the finger at others, not just me. You should take a step back. Get to know others before making accusations let alone threats. "Capiche"?

Back