iPhone 7

It's not a forced upgrade, you don't have to upgrade if you don't want to. But it's available to all supported models as soon as Apple releases it, unlike Android where you can have a somewhat new Android phone but your vendor/carrier won't release it.

Mobile technology moves much faster than PC technology, OS upgrades are good.

And iOS still has a much better app ecosystem, developer know this:
http://thenextweb.com/dd/2015/12/17/reservoir-devs-why-apps-really-hit-ios-before-android/

irvinehomeowner said:
It's not a forced upgrade, you don't have to upgrade if you don't want to. But it's available to all supported models as soon as Apple releases it, unlike Android where you can have a somewhat new Android phone but your vendor/carrier won't release it.

Mobile technology moves much faster than PC technology, OS upgrades are good.

And iOS still has a much better app ecosystem, developer know this:
http://thenextweb.com/dd/2015/12/17/reservoir-devs-why-apps-really-hit-ios-before-android/

It is a forced upgrade because iOS basically disables various functions and app if you don't upgrade.  Facetime for example gets disabled if you don't upgrade to the latest version of iOS.

The fact of the matter is that Apple has a few models to upgrade...there are hundreds of versions of Android phones.  Android phones run the gamut of consumers where as Apple is pretty much the high end of the market (US and Japan predominantly).

The ecosystem argument is an outdated argument.  Apple is more controlled and support but Android is much more accessible for non-established developers.  Anyone can build an app and make money off of it. 

Also...I have never had an instance where I was like...geez I wish that iOS app was on Android. 
http://recode.net/2015/05/07/androi...ios-in-generating-revenue-for-app-developers/

I can cherry pick articles too:

If China is the reason why Android is pulling past iOS in generating revenue, why does this article say the opposite?
http://techcrunch.com/2015/04/14/revenue-gap-between-ios-and-android-apps-grows-thanks-to-china/

If you analyze the data, the key here is comparing Google Play to Apple's App Store. Any metrics that say including China generates more revenue is because they are including the Chinese Android stores (not Google Play), but that means these are apps that are usually designed strictly for China and unless you are an Irvine app developer, that's not a target market for you.

Your article is misleading because the main reason why Android app revenue is comparable to Apple app revenue is volume of downloads across all apps (10 apps make $10 vs 1 app that makes $10), but if you compare revenue on a single app or single user basis, iOS is higher. So if you were an app developer, the statistic that is more important is how much more money your app can make on an iPhone than on an Android device.
The ecosystem argument is an outdated argument.  Apple is more controlled and support but Android is much more accessible for non-established developers.  Anyone can build an app and make money off of it.
You may be out of your depth here. Have you ever developed a mobile app? I can tell you that many developers prefer to work on iOS than Android, not just because of the revenue argument but also from a development viewpoint, it's an easier platform to code on. Fragmentation is still an issue here and the controlled ecosystem lends to a more stable environment to be able to develop, debug, maintain and support. On average, Android apps contain about 30% more code overhead (time and lines) than the same app on iOS. Apple's developer support is also more mature than Google's.

But I know you will just Google for the first article that says it's better to develop on Android so I did it for you:
http://www.androidauthority.com/develop-apps-for-android-rather-than-ios-607219/

Just remember the source (you seem to slip on that).

And to your point about anyone being able to build an app and make money... have you tried it? Do you know any mobile app developers? What do they tell you?

I FINALLY bought the iPhone 6s. Att anounced they will end the 2 year contract plans on Jan 8. By going with the 2 year plan, the phone price is cheaper. (Subsidized)

I am going no where, since  I have the unlimited DATA plan.

eyephone said:
I FINALLY bought the iPhone 6s. Att anounced they will end the 2 year contract plans on Jan 8. By going with the 2 year plan, the phone price is cheaper. (Subsidized)

I'm with u man. Got the 6s plus in September with a two year contract. With the grandfathered in unlimited data plan plus a 21% corporate discount. Got the handcuffs on with Att.

qwerty said:
eyephone said:

I'm with u man. Got the 6s plus in September with a two year contract. With the grandfathered in unlimited data plan plus a 21% corporate discount. Got the handcuffs on with Att.

64 or 128 gb?

qwerty said:
eyephone said:

I got that corporate discount also.

Btw - did you hear the unlimited data plans have to pay an extra $5 starting Feb.

#immaterial
http://www.macworld.com/article/301...-grandfathered-unlimited-data-plans-by-5.html

eyephone said:

Thanks for the reminder.  Almost forgot about it, going get a 6s too before January 8.

I put my kid's phone on TMobile because they had a 10GB deal for the family lines.

I don't even worry about their usage anymore because they added the Binge-On feature where video doesn't use the data. It's downscaled to 480p but you don't even notice it on a phone. They still haven't added YouTube as one of the free providers but having Netflix on there is good enough. Plus TMo has real rollover data unlike AT&T that expires after a month.

irvinehomeowner said:
I put my kid's phone on TMobile because they had a 10GB deal for the family lines.

I don't even worry about their usage anymore because they added the Binge-On feature where video doesn't use the data. It's downscaled to 480p but you don't even notice it on a phone. They still haven't added YouTube as one of the free providers but having Netflix on there is good enough. Plus TMo has real rollover data unlike AT&T that expires after a month.

How do you like TMo's reception and download speeds?

TMo is getting better... doesn't quite cover as many areas as AT&T but there are a few spots they cover that AT&T doesn't. I'm not sure if it's the 6s that has improved the LTE coverage with TMo (the Enhanced LTE) or if there are just more towers going up. It's showing 2 dots where it used to be zero dots of LTE service.

VZW is still the best and Sprint is the worst.

irvinehomeowner said:

Even than, isn't Tmobile unlimited anyway...once you use up those 10GB at LTE, they give you free 3G speed.  So if they use a ton in a month, at least you don't get a surprise bill. I am tempted to switch to Tmobile...my spring plan is just so cheap and I like my free phone every 2 years though. If I wanted to go back to Android again, I'd probably do it, but kills me to have to pay retail for a phone (when I'm already on a cheap carrier). 

irvinehomeowner said:
TMo is getting better... doesn't quite cover as many areas as AT&T but there are a few spots they cover that AT&T doesn't. I'm not sure if it's the 6s that has improved the LTE coverage with TMo (the Enhanced LTE) or if there are just more towers going up. It's showing 2 dots where it used to be zero dots of LTE service.

I actually like my Sprint more than ATT (given cost). I hated ATT. That said, their data speeds were better than Sprint, but on Sprint I always piggyback off of Verizon (or so it seems). Either way, if I'm paying a premium price in OC (i.e., not going with Tmobile / Sprint)...it is Verizon, hands down, imo. 

Note: Unless of course you have a grandfathered plan and thus are taking advantage of your unlim data that you can't get from the #1 & #2 carriers.

lnc said:
eyephone said:

Thanks for the reminder.  Almost forgot about it, going get a 6s too before January 8.

:)

irvinehomeowner said:

I'm tempted by the lower prices but afraid to leave the comfort of Big Red's network.

lnc said:
eyephone said:

Inc - Did you get the iPhone 6s?

eyephone said:
lnc said:
eyephone said:

Inc - Did you get the iPhone 6s?

Sure did.  ;D

4 months later and still hardly anyone on Android 6 (Marshmallow), while over 75% are on iOS 9.x.

That's one thing people like about the iPhone, they get the latest OS.

BTW: Has anyone tested to see what 6s chip they got, Samsung (bad) or TMSC (good)?

There is an app for that called Lirum Info Lite. I think mine has the TMSC one.

Back