Amway
Cutco
Lularoe
PrimeAmerica
USANA
Mary Kay
Herbalife
etc.

The companies above sell stuff through friends selling to friends and making friends part of the sales team so they can sell to their network.  People can make money off of these MLM companies, but you have to be at the top or at least in the middle.  If you are at the bottom, you will lose money.  The only way to get to profitability is to get your friends to sell it to their friends and get a network yourself.

A lot of times you end up losing friends.

zubs said:
dream16 said:
Sorry, what is an MLM?

Multi-Level Marketing (pyramid)

Amway
Cutco
Lularoe
PrimeAmerica
USANA
Mary Kay
Herbalife
etc.

The companies above sell stuff through friends selling to friends and making friends part of the sales team so they can sell to their network.  People can make money off of these MLM companies, but you have to be at the top or at least in the middle.  If you are at the bottom, you will lose money.  The only way to get to profitability is to get your friends to sell it to their friends and get a network yourself.

Is rodan and fields considered MLM?  This one seems to be most popular with the Asian American set in Irvine.

bones said:
zubs said:
dream16 said:
Sorry, what is an MLM?

Multi-Level Marketing (pyramid)

Amway
Cutco
Lularoe
PrimeAmerica
USANA
Mary Kay
Herbalife
etc.

Is rodan and fields considered MLM?  This one seems to be most popular with the Asian American set in Irvine.

Yes it is.  MLM's products are ok if a little pricey.  I have CUTCO knives that I still use and they are fine.

the problem with MLM is that if you are on the bottom rung you will need to "trick" someone to be under you or you will not make money.  And this person you tricked will have to trick someone else or they will not make money...etc.

So when MLM's say it's hard work, but you can make money, It's true.

dream16 said:
hello said:
dream16 said:
hello said:
Sometimes the best thing to do is to do nothing.  (although I would sell a cash flow negative rental ASAP)

And then do what exactly with that money? Thing is I am emotionally attached and obsessed with Irvine - so if I sell and move out now - I am not sure if I will be able to scoop up a 1600 Sq ft attached tri level condo in there again for 550k in next 5 years

Invest the money in other things or pay down debt or use it for something fun.  Whatever you want to do.  Never get emotions mixed with sound investment options.  If you are bleeding money, then sell it especially since it seems you wont lose much due to appreciation.  Even if you can pick up another rental here who cares?  I would care more about making money and not losing money.

Zillow report on 92618 tells me appreciation has been 3.5% over last year. So technically, will i be able to sell my property for $20k more only?

Selling costs in itself are 5% = so i will end up with a minimum of $10k loss.

Unless i can be atleast $15-$20k+ in profit from selling it to cover my 1st year of $11k losses (2 month vacancy + one time closing costs etc.), its hard to sell it.

Experts, please share your insights on how much a 2016 built 1614 sq ft 2 bed 2.5 bath can be sold for? It is a tri-level and tandem-garage - a complete leg workout.

why is it hard to sell?  Keep it and you will keep losing more and more money. 

hello said:
dream16 said:
hello said:
dream16 said:
hello said:
Sometimes the best thing to do is to do nothing.  (although I would sell a cash flow negative rental ASAP)

And then do what exactly with that money? Thing is I am emotionally attached and obsessed with Irvine - so if I sell and move out now - I am not sure if I will be able to scoop up a 1600 Sq ft attached tri level condo in there again for 550k in next 5 years

Invest the money in other things or pay down debt or use it for something fun.  Whatever you want to do.  Never get emotions mixed with sound investment options.  If you are bleeding money, then sell it especially since it seems you wont lose much due to appreciation.  Even if you can pick up another rental here who cares?  I would care more about making money and not losing money.

Zillow report on 92618 tells me appreciation has been 3.5% over last year. So technically, will i be able to sell my property for $20k more only?

Selling costs in itself are 5% = so i will end up with a minimum of $10k loss.

Unless i can be atleast $15-$20k+ in profit from selling it to cover my 1st year of $11k losses (2 month vacancy + one time closing costs etc.), its hard to sell it.

Experts, please share your insights on how much a 2016 built 1614 sq ft 2 bed 2.5 bath can be sold for? It is a tri-level and tandem-garage - a complete leg workout.

why is it hard to sell?  Keep it and you will keep losing more and more money.

A similar one sold for 585K last month, so 8% appreciation in 2 years, if i sell, i can come close to break-even

dream16 said:
eyephone said:
dream16 said:
marmott said:

Thanks so an increase of 40K in 20 months, yeah this gives me hope of selling mine for some pennies worth of profit 10k ish.

Don?t worry. You will make it up with your side business.

Haha well, its all going to be officially on papers soon + it isn't doing that great, so will have to work harder.

Seems like more people want to inquire about your side business than your condo. So what?s your side business?

eyephone said:
dream16 said:
eyephone said:
dream16 said:
marmott said:

Thanks so an increase of 40K in 20 months, yeah this gives me hope of selling mine for some pennies worth of profit 10k ish.

Don?t worry. You will make it up with your side business.

Haha well, its all going to be officially on papers soon + it isn't doing that great, so will have to work harder.

Seems like more people want to inquire about your side business than your condo. So what?s your side business?

It's Information Technology Company guys, lol - legit shit - nothing shady !

Kings said:
How about refinancing your current condo with all of the extra cash you have so you're closer to 50% LTV?  Should be cash flow positive and maybe get in at a lower interest rate than 1.5 years ago?

I locked in at 3.75 (30 yr fixed traditional) as primary residence, so not sure if there are better rates now, i heard them dropping to 3.2 something an year ago.

What should i do about this situation?

As per this, with 50k in equity, i am only able to qualify for a 47K loan at 94% LTV :(
http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/home-equity/loan-pre-qualification-calculator.aspx

How do i get a 225K loan? My 1st home has been rented for 18 months, so 0.75% of rental income should be considered - but despite that, i have a jumbo pending mortgage.

One key question i have is regarding the following:

You can certainly buy another home in another location, but there are certain conditions. First, you have to have rented out the home for a minimum of 12 months, reported it on your tax return, and made some income on it. If you will owe money each month and its negative income, it's a liability, not an asset and counts against you in your debt-to-income ratio.

Most lenders prefer a minimum rental history of two years, reported on tax returns, showing the property was profitable. A property can be profitable, but after depreciation and other expense deductions,mother property may show at a loss on tax return, but the lender will add back certain things like depreciation, etc. Again, if it's a monthly loss out the gate, you would have to show enough income to lower your DTI. (Debt to Income Ratio)

Also, your income has to show it can support both mortgages and you need reserves for both mortgages in order to qualify for a new loan.

If the above is true, how will i get a private lender loan? Because i am negatively cash flowing every year = 1st year was $11k and now with IRS returning more money due to house purchase in 2nd year of ownership , i might barely break-even.

Will private lender consider IRS return (20% returns on Mortgage Ins + Tax Paid) = mine came out to be ++$4200 extra in tax returns for 1st year.
[/font]
[/quote]

Q: how does someone prove that they lived in their primary residence when they actually rented it out and lived somewhere else?

COMMENTS ARE EYE OPENING:https://www.washingtonpost.com/real...411a84c9d55_story.html?utm_term=.3177c9ef44bd
Here's a comment from someone who wanted to get a second loan and was truthful:

I am currently refinancing my investment property and it is not easy. I bought the condo and lived in it for a few years but then got married and needed more space than I had. I have rented it out for the past five years under the original loan because you need a certain loan to value to qualify for an investment property loan, I finally got there and the rates are worse and I have to jump through multiple hoops to prove that I can maintain a property where my payments will be $300 less than they currently are. I had one prospective lender tell me that it would be a different story if I told him I occupied the residence. I couldn't believe lenders were still allowing and encouraging fraud but the strict rules for investment properties makes it tempting.

If you are stretched so thin that committing fraud seems like a good idea, this is a sign you shouldn't be doing this deal.

Also, tax returns do not equal income in a lender's eyes.  Again, you are stretched too thin if you even have to ask this question.

Liar Loan said:
If you are stretched so thin that committing fraud seems like a good idea, this is a sign you shouldn't be doing this deal.

Also, tax returns do not equal income in a lender's eyes.  Again, you are stretched too thin if you even have to ask this question.

You are assuming things without knowing any facts, anyways, that comment did not help at all.

My only assumption was that you were asking for advice.  I'm not trying to sound harsh with my comments, but rather giving you my perspective as somebody that invests in real estate and works for a mortgage lender.

I would say that it's not a good time to try and catch a knife...it's fun for the knife but not much for the person trying to catch it.

dream16 said:
I am currently refinancing my investment property and it is not easy. I bought the condo and lived in it for a few years but then got married and needed more space than I had. I have rented it out for the past five years under the original loan because you need a certain loan to value to qualify for an investment property loan, I finally got there and the rates are worse and I have to jump through multiple hoops to prove that I can maintain a property where my payments will be $300 less than they currently are. I had one prospective lender tell me that it would be a different story if I told him I occupied the residence. I couldn't believe lenders were still allowing and encouraging fraud but the strict rules for investment properties makes it tempting.

Yea, some lenders, wink wink, nod, nod.  You need to decide if the lender was merely trying to explain to you  why the pricing was high and that they'd have 'low' rates 'like you'd expect' if you were living there or if the lender was doing wink wink.

JIMHO, that wink wink, cuts both ways.  If they're going to stick their golden goose, what are going to slide past you if they can?

As for rentals being expensive, tedious and difficult to refi, yes, because the lender wants their money back.  The happy path with a rental is a good tenant that stays and only leaves major expenses when they move out, not including HVAC service, repairs, failed water heater, etc/.  But that long term tenant now is a race against the clock to lipstick rehab and get it re-rented.  The major expenses aren't from damage, rentals are just consumable.  Carpet is useful live is 5 years. paint 3-5 years, water heater 10 years.  The more affordable the rental, the more months of rent get consumed rehabbing.

Basically new carpet and new paint job is 5 years or less in a rental.  If you're lucky, the first tenant after the lipstick is a neat freak, great tenant that stays 4 years and takes care of it.  If you get just a 'good' tenant, well, you find yourself 4 years in after the 2nd tenant moves out having the debate of rehabbing early or renting with the 'worn' look which IMHO, decreases tenant quality considerably.

Back