Investing in rental properties OC or IE ?

You are going to get biased answers on this board. For most here irvine is the end all be all. If you asked folks in the I.E. they would probably be biased to the larger lots, 3-4 car garages, etc.

I think a hyper loop where you could get from I.E. to irvine or LA would be a game changer. Most people want more, but won't move to I.E. because of the commute. But get that down to 30 minutes or less and I think a lot of people would move out there.

marmott said:
Why do you need hyper loop for such small distances, get a normal train already.

Looking at the detailed map it's not guaranteed that Riverside will get a train station, it could en up in Corona:http://www.hsr.ca.gov/docs/newsroom/maps/LA_to_San_Diego.pdf

If it stops at Corona, it's great if you work in DTLA. But if you work in Anaheim or Irvine. You would have to wait or get on another train to go to OC.

There is already a Metrolink that will take you directly from the IE to OC.

qwerty said:
You are going to get biased answers on this board. For most here irvine is the end all be all. If you asked folks in the I.E. they would probably be biased to the larger lots, 3-4 car garages, etc.

I think a hyper loop where you could get from I.E. to irvine or LA would be a game changer. Most people want more, but won't move to I.E. because of the commute. But get that down to 30 minutes or less and I think a lot of people would move out there.

It's still a worse location, higher temps, farther from beaches and the cow smell is bad at times.

Plus, ever been to an outdoor party in the I.E.? Flytastic. 

Burn That Belly said:
The following is only depicting the Irvine market below in my opinion:

1 and 2 bedroom homes are like 2-seater Honda S2000. Low maintenance, and a chance to enjoy the neighborhood at a fraction of the cost. When the economy drops, these cars are in low demand and then price drops hard too. In good times, these cars are rare and are in higher demand so price goes up.

3 bedroom starter homes in the 1200-1800 sqft are the sweet spot. They are like that Honda Accord, Toyota Camry. Even in a down economy, people still need this type of car to get to job interviews, take their kids to school, and a 5-seater sedan still serves that purpose. Hence, homes like these won't drop in prices that hard as the 1 and 2 bedrooms.

3 bedroom homes above 2200 sqft or 4 bedroom homes are a premium. They are like a BMW X5M. Great to have, but not absolutely necessary. You'll pay more in maintenance, upkeep, taxes, but you'll get a better $/sqft value. However, in a down economy, nobody can afford to buy these. Then demand drops, especially for those that are hovering around $1.8-2.2M. That's because nobody NEEDS this kind of home unless you can splurge a little.

Moral of the story? Buy as many starter 3-bedroom homes as you can in a GOOD neighborhood.

The post is so funny! Question though since all of Irvine is not equal. From an investment analogy standpoint would you rather have a house in say Deerfield or the Ranch that is a 4bd (2000+ sq) and large lot or a 3bd (1200-1400sq) in Woodbridge, NW, Woodbury? Assume price of each is the same. Also after you pick please give your car analogy to each choice :)

Back