Interesting article about Chinese FCBs

Irvinecommuter

General wisdom suggests that a foreign input of moneys flooding commercial U.S. markets might be a good sign for American corporations ? but when large sums of those funds are used for snatching up residential real estate, it will, in due time, drive the prices of homes out of reach of middle-class Americans, rendering them unable to afford homes in their own country. Overpriced hubs such as San Francisco, New York, Dallas, Denver, Seattle and others are already becoming out of reach to most Americans.
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/foreign-investors-pose-threat-to-residential-real-estate-2015-06-15

I don't think there is anything here that breaks new ground but it is still interesting to read some details about the practice.  I think it's interesting that the author is worried about the money laundering aspect of the issue but anytime anyone does business with or in China...you're pretty much assured some shady dealings are going on.

What I'd like to see is all these FCB's (any foreigner that wants to invest in US property) and EB-5's to pay into our Social Security system, any welfare program, the DREAM act (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DREAM_Act), and any other taxpayer funded program.  One lump tax payment = Visa + Whatever house you want to buy.  Maybe this is already happening but to me it doesn't seem like it.

That is definitely an interesting article though!

Communists do not trust other Communists with their money.  This was true during the Soviet Union and is true today in mainland China.  Soviet leaders prepared for war with the US but kept their personal savings in USD.  Communist Chinese rail against "Western [US] Values" but pour their cash into Irvine real estate and drop their kids off in Arcadia.

The author of the article who proposes limiting mainland Chinese real estate purchases here is ignoring one of the Commandments of American Politics:

NEVER STAND BETWEEN A DEVELOPER AND HIS MONEY

Developer's greed is definitely the cause of the problem.

From my personal knowledge, EB5 families don't contribute nearly enough to society in proportion to their income.

Specifically, they report only a nominal income each year while hiding the bulk overseas. A family would buy one or two million dollar homes, fancy cars and yet report 90k or less annual income. Some of them are even entitled to the BS O-mama care. They are not in the habit of making donations of any kind.  Their children gets free public education. Yet they whine about having to pay property tax and HOA dues and the nominal healthcare insurance.  It's a freaking disgrace and yet they are proud of the way they game the system on both sides of the pacific.

It is simply not fair for existing and true middle class families to shoulder all the tax burdens and cope with the inflation of home prices.

Developers who be required to pay additional taxes for selling to foreigners like in other countries.

WillJoy said:

From my personal knowledge, EB5 families don't contribute nearly enough to society in proportion to their income.

Specifically, they report only a nominal income each year while hiding the bulk overseas. A family would buy one or two million dollar homes, fancy cars and yet report 90k or less annual income. Some of them are even entitled to the BS O-mama care. They are not in the habit of making donations of any kind.  Their children gets free public education. Yet they whine about having to pay property tax and HOA dues and the nominal healthcare insurance.  It's a freaking disgrace and yet they are proud of the way they game the system on both sides of the pacific.

It is simply not fair for existing and true middle class families to shoulder all the tax burdens and cope with the inflation of home prices.

Developers who be required to pay additional taxes for selling to foreigners like in other countries.

Well...they wouldn't qualify for Obamacare as you would not qualify as a EB5 Visa applicant.  They do pay property taxes which takes care of the local schools.

They make no income so I don't know why they would have to pay income taxes...they also don't receive SS so I am not sure why they would need to contribute.

As for rising home prices, I think just about everyone in Irvine are appreciative of the FCBs for raising their home values.

I mean I am all for a political debate about the dwindling middle class in this country but that debate has no connection to FCBs.

Only if you already own a home, there are lots who can't make that leap thanks to fcb's, like the article is saying

AW said:
Only if you already own a home, there are lots who can't make that leap thanks to fcb's, like the article is saying

Sure but I would like to live in Newport Beach too...I mean you can't really complain about gentrification when you are more than happy to take part in it but are priced out.

Irvinecommuter said:
AW said:

Sure but I would like to live in Newport Beach too...I mean you can't really complain about gentrification when you are more than happy to take part in it but are priced out.

I see your point, but it's still slightly different, when people say they can't afford expensive places like newport or beverly hills, they understand that that's the place with people of wealth, usually people who work and live here, or inherited money but lives here, for the most part, irvine/fcb cities has had an influx of foreign buyers, some don't even live here for months on end, and they're a reason why the working class can't afford housing.

AW said:
Irvinecommuter said:
AW said:

I see your point, but it's still slightly different, when people say they can't afford expensive places like newport or beverly hills, they understand that that's the place with people of wealth, usually people who work and live here, or inherited money but lives here, for the most part, irvine/fcb cities has had an influx of foreign buyers, some don't even live here for months on end, and they're a reason why the working class can't afford housing.

No...the reason why the working class can't afford housing is because of NIMBY.  Irvine has been sued repeatedly for not complying with affordable housing laws because it chooses to pay attorneys' fees and fines rather than comply.  It makes much more sense for a city like Irvine to push up home values. 

IAC doesn't help because it keeps its rent at a level where the "working class" can't afford them.

Working class are relegated to the IE or parts of Los Angeles because that's where cities like Irvine what them.  This is one of the reasons why other OC cities hate Irvine.

You don't think FCBs are wealthy people?  They are extremely wealthy and some of them create a bigger rental market. 

Irvinecommuter said:
WillJoy said:

Well...they wouldn't qualify for Obamacare as you would not qualify as a EB5 Visa applicant.  They do pay property taxes which takes care of the local schools.

They make no income so I don't know why they would have to pay income taxes...they also don't receive SS so I am not sure why they would need to contribute.

As for rising home prices, I think just about everyone in Irvine are appreciative of the FCBs for raising their home values.

I mean I am all for a political debate about the dwindling middle class in this country but that debate has no connection to FCBs.

Of the few EB5 families I know, 1 of them are on their 4th year of perm. greencard. I haven't done my research but aren't greedcard holders eligible for Omama care?

As for income tax, all residents are required to report their true income (in the ideal uncle sam's wet dream). Few people do report their true income and they can hide their overseas income easily. Yes, I am just jealous because I cannot cheat at all if even I wanted to.

IMHO, the influx of FCB are to blame for the rising home prices - it is a simple supply vs demand thing. I have my own homes so it does not affect me in anyway. But lots of my working friends all of a sudden can't afford after having saved for many years. Personally I don't appreciate FCBs for raising my home values. Even if I can sell high now, where would I go? I still can't afford to upgrade.

We talk about FCBs a lot, but are there any stats to accurately measure the effect FCBs have on Irvine residential real estate prices?

Cash for the house, cash for bmw, and some don't even live here, must be nice to have all that cash...
But think that kid will go pro is ridonkulous, reality will set in, just do well in school and be a doctor, also like how the dad refuses to go into specifics about the e85

Back