Impressions of our new school

Ooh, I love this Stuyvesant school! I just looked it up, had no idea about it!  Now I'm gonna have to move to New York City!

Also, love their stand against affirmative action. It's all merit based.
According to Wikipedia:
"The paucity of Black and Hispanic students at Stuyvesant has often been an issue for some city administrators. As of the 2014-15 school year, Asian students made up 73% of the school's population; White students, 20%; Latinos, 3%; Blacks, 1%; and unknown/other, 7%.
In 1971, Mayor John Lindsay argued that the test was culturally biased against black and Hispanic students and sought to implement an affirmative action program.[16] However, protests by parents forced the plan to be scrapped and led to the passage of the Hecht-Calandra Act, which preserved admissions by examination only."

The competition does seem fierce. Only 2-3% admitted.
I can't help but wonder, have there ever been rumors of address fraud? Admission is only offered to NYC residents. Also, cases of nepotism, bribery? NYC is full of people of means, who would probably love to brag that their kid got into the toughest school to get into. I mean, of course, they could go to any private school, but getting into a school like Stuyvesant would also prove how smart they are.

RandomG said:
Also, cases of nepotism, bribery? NYC is full of people of means, who would probably love to brag that their kid got into the toughest school to get into. I mean, of course, they could go to any private school, but getting into a school like Stuyvesant would also prove how smart they are.

Stuy kids are smart, but typically middle to low income and culled primarily from Asian immigrant enclaves.

Rich people don't bother with NYC public schools.  Prep schools like Trinity, Spence, Chapin, Dalton, Collegiate, Brearley, Horace Mann, etc. are more "elite" anyway and feed directly into the Ivy's.

WTTCHMN said:
RandomG said:
Also, cases of nepotism, bribery? NYC is full of people of means, who would probably love to brag that their kid got into the toughest school to get into. I mean, of course, they could go to any private school, but getting into a school like Stuyvesant would also prove how smart they are.

Stuy kids are smart, but typically middle to low income and culled primarily from Asian immigrant enclaves.

Rich people don't bother with NYC public schools.  Prep schools like Trinity, Spence, Chapin, Dalton, Collegiate, Brearley, Horace Mann, etc. are more "elite" anyway and feed directly into the Ivy's.

If your family is rich, you can pay to go to an elite prep school feeder to the top colleges, and avoid dealing with the cut throat competition at the public entrance exam schools full of immigrant strivers from low-middle class backgrounds. Sort of like some Irvine parents deciding to send their kids to private schools to avoid competition at Uni/Northwood, except on a more intense level.

@WTTCHMN--you sound like you're from NYC too?

There's nothing I've seen that's impressive about Irvine schools (k-6) so far.  I believe that we are the least funded school district in the state, yet the teachers get paid very well.  There are too many students per teacher.  The teachers don't really get to know the kid's strengths and weaknesses...  With all that, though, the kids still do well.  The schools are safe.  Generally the other kids are good influences.  The parents of other students care about education.  A lot of parents put their kids in after school learning programs.

My son is in 1st grade, and is at 4th grade level for reading and math.  He really gets math and is better than many adults.  I can ask him what 201*220 is and he would be able to figure it out quickly in his head.  He likes to learn and he learns on his own.  He watches his big sister learning and he learns the same stuff.  I don't expect much out of the school, but I'm a bit disappointed that they don't seem recognize his current level or potential.  But how could they with 30+ students in the class?  He meets requirements.

It might sound like I'm complaining here.  I'm not.  I'd rather send my kids here than many of the other schools.  I'm just explaining why I am not impressed. 

spootieho said:
My son is in 1st grade, and is at 4th grade level for reading and math.  He really gets math and is better than many adults.  I can ask him what 201*220 is and he would be able to figure it out quickly in his head.

Snark time...

Why does every Irvine parent think their kids are smarter than adults? I challenge your 1st grader to a Math Off!

I think my kids are smart but they are not prodigies. They don't even get straight As but that doesn't bother me.

The biggest thing for me in Irvine schools is safety. Although I wish they were fenced like Tustin schools.

irvinehomeowner said:
spootieho said:
My son is in 1st grade, and is at 4th grade level for reading and math.  He really gets math and is better than many adults.  I can ask him what 201*220 is and he would be able to figure it out quickly in his head.
Snark time...

Why does every Irvine parent think their kids are smarter than adults? I challenge your 1st grader to a Math Off!
You never know, though.  You might be talking to a real prodigy ;)  This is the internet and we are pretty much anonymous randoms here.

Some kids are better than adults at certain things.  My daughter is far better at artistic stuff than myself.  She's better at music, creativity, drawing... 

I was doing algebra at 4 years old that many adults can't.  That doesn't I was better than all adults.  It doesn't mean that I was smarter than any adult.  It just means that I was pretty advanced at math at that age.  It doesn't even mean I was better than your kid. 

Sure, every parent thinks the best of their kids.  We are incredibly biased.  Irvine has a lot of pretty bright kids.  Some need to put in a lot more work than others.  Parent's also see things in their kids that others don't on the surface.  That said, my son is a special rarity.  He probably has the potential of a prodigy.  He's not as advanced as I was at that age, but he could be.

The point was, though, that I came to Irvine with high expectations.  I had much higher expectations with the Irvine school district and therefore was quite disappointed to see reality.  I'm still far happier here than I would be if I remained in Santa Ana.  Safety and being around other kids who are good influences are important factors to consider.

I want to elementary school with a math wiz and he really did know more than the teacher.  By Jr high he got permission to take classes at the community college. A lot of teachers aren't the greatest at math.

@spootiehoo:

If your son is a prodigy, you will be disappointed in most school districts.

I don't think anyone feels IUSD is for super smart children.

Right... 

I still can't help but feel underwhelmed. I think a lot of that has to do with the lack of funding. 

Spootieho,
finally someone who speaks my language! :) :)

I must admit, with envy: your son beat my kid! I don't think she could have handled 4th grade math in 1st grade! Now she is in 4th, and she is comfortable with 6th grade math, and pre-algebra.
It was hard to feel the disappointment, but after two months of "agony" I've finally come to terms with it. It is what it is. Irvine schools are safe, and you are absolutely right, kids come from good families, are respectful and well mannered, and I've never heard a single curse word in the three months I've been here. That is something. I just wish that they would offer stronger programs for students who are ahead of their peers, or create something similar to APAAS in each school, not just certain locations.
But again, maybe by high school it will get better. Meanwhile, I'm using all the free resources I can find, and I've been pleasantly surprised to find out there is so much out there.

Spootieho, how does your son handle the school hours? I imagine it's even harder, boys tend to get more restless and bored faster.

RandomG said:
Spootieho, how does your son handle the school hours? I imagine it's even harder, boys tend to get more restless and bored faster.
He gets bored easily like I did.  He's just 6, though. 

Where we differ is that he's pretty lazy when it comes to doing anything outside of the house.  He would rather study than play with other kids.  (I find this weird)  I'm not sure if he would be one of the restless kids.

Of course, he would rather watch TV or play video games than study.  (who wouldn't?)  My personal goals are to get him out of the house and socialize more. 

Per the school hours...  They seem kinda short. 

They get out early one day a week, which is is a bit annoying. 

If you really, really want to get your kids in a competitive, top ranking school with crushing loads of homework in the area, you could move to Cerritos area and sending your kids to Whitney:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitney_High_School_(Cerritos,_California)http://www.edline.net/pages/WhitneyHS

Or Oxford Academy in nearby Cypress:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxford_Academy_(California)http://oxford.auhsd.us/

Both are for grades 7-12.  If your kids fail the pass the entrance exam you can opt to send them to Valley Christian:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valley_Christian_High_School_(Cerritos,_California)http://www.vcschools.org/

If you move to Cerritos area but work in Irvine, you can board the Metro train at Norwalk/Santa Fe Springs station and avoid freeway traffic.  There are actually 2 train stations in Norwalk, one is for Amtrack/Metro Rail and the other is for the LA Metro Green Line:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_County_Linehttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Line_(Los_Angeles_Metro)

What are the Ivy acceptance rates of those schools? Because that seems to be the only thing that matters to some people from TI.

Acceptance into top colleges is data driven and not hinged on peoples feelings.

It's like arguing which Irvine neighborhood is better.  The neighborhood that cost more is better. 

Money has no feelings, it tells you where everyone wants to live.  Much like acceptance into top colleges tells you which high school is the best.

irvinehomeowner said:
What are the Ivy acceptance rates of those schools? Because that seems to be the only thing that matters to some people from TI.

I don't know, but the schools he previously mentioned are ranked high in the state of California.

zubs said:
Acceptance into top colleges is data driven and not hinged on peoples feelings.

It's like arguing which Irvine neighborhood is better.  The neighborhood that cost more is better. 

Money has no feelings, it tells you where everyone wants to live.  Much like acceptance into top colleges tells you which high school is the best.

The neighborhood that costs more tells you where the people with money want to live and are willing to pay for it. That does not equal which neighborhood is inherently better. Asian herd mentality. That's how TIC gets mainlanders to vastly overpay for crappy little new Irvine boxes.

At some point everyone will have to agree to the definition of better.  Since everyone in the world is different with vastly contrasting views defining better is un do able.  So I use money.

Back