I'm trying to get rid of my Sony TV

PeterUK is right. My company makes equipment for LCD manufacturing, and Sony/Samsung's S-LCD JV is one of our customers. Most of the Sony's out there today are made from this fab and you can buy a Samsung for less $$ than the comparable Sony set. However, Samsung announced plans that it's building its next generation fab on its own, without Sony, so in the future this rule won't apply.

Yeah I'm just going to give it to my friend. If she won't take it, then salvation army. Tube TV's RIP.

I was debating between Sony and samsung. I went to Circuit city and the picture on the samsung is just amazing. I hate the glossy screen though, so I'm checking out LN-T4669FX which is a matte screen and is like 1900 bucks on Amazon...

$250 for 36" Sony Trinitron? i highly doubt anyone would buy for such high price. I recently sold a sony 40" TV for $50..and that took me 2 months to get rid of.

You should either donate it and use it as tax write off for next year.

i'd be surprised if anyone shells out $250 for a old Tube TV..regardless of the brand and condition. Lower the price or donate it.

Shooby, Costco got some great deals on flat screens if you have membership. They often have coupons for $200 to $300 on top of their low price. Check out Visio brand too if you're looking for best value.

<em>(edit: looks like w2b beat me to the punch)</em>

LCD manufacturing is dominated by a relatively small handful of original equipment manufacturers in asia. very few name brands manufacture their LCD tvs either partially or entirely. a great bang for your buck brand is visio. we recently put one in our office conference room and the installer said he installs a large number of these with very few complaints from customers. visio to LCD tvs is what viewsonic was to CRT monitors back in the day. if you're wary of buying unknown brands you can at least take comfort in the fact it came from costco.

i always thought the best thing that happened to vizio was that it was sold at costco, people have this perception that costco sells quality things, which in my opinion they do. If costco sells it its gotta be good right? That was my thinking when i bought a 37inch vizio without ever hearing of the brand before.

Same boat here. I'm seeing the Bravias approaching a price point I can live with, and wondering what we'll do with the 30" monstrosity we have now. We bought it 3 years ago for maybe $500, and I can't think of anything else that depreciates as quickly. Maybe Hyundais? If we can't sell it I'll donate it for the write-off.

Shooby,

Where are you? My Mom needs a TV and couldn't care less if it is tube. I'll pick it up if you are in OC and your friend doesn't want it. Then again, SA or Goodwill would probably give you a receipt for several hundred bucks for tax purposes.

Let me know.

Thanks!

<p>i have a 36" toshiba flat-crt. same deal. i'd like to upgrade to an LCD but can't find any takers.. i'm just gonna run this bad boy until the picture starts to go out. by my estimation, i should have another two years of solid use. </p>

<p>...oh, and it weighs almost 200 lbs. it is not very fun carrying it up stairs!</p>

<p>Call & ask the charties if they will take it first.</p>

<p>Tried to donate a smaller tube TV in another state to the Goodwill, was told they don't take those because there is a recycling fee they have to pay for disposal if it doesn't sell.</p>

In Dec '06 I donated a couple really old and crappy 21" CRTs to the local Goodwill and they didn't mind. I've given a good amount of electronic waste, come to think of it. Half a dozen cell phone, a couple cordless phones, an Aiwa stereo system. Oh yeah--I also gave 2 19" CRT computer monitors in addition to the TVs. In their original boxes, no less. Talk about taking up space.

I'm in VOC Camden place. I think the TV needs 3 guys to carry it minimum. If you're willing to pick it up I'm willing to give it away.

I donated my old 25" CRT when we got our plasma - to the delivery guy, actually. He was very happy to get it, and it felt good to do something nice. Maybe he turned around and sold it on craigslist, but the important part was the old TV was out of my hair.

<p>Caliguy,</p>

<p>I did something similar with a refrigerator once... just gave it to the mover who happily took it off my hands. I bet this happens all of the time. Some enterprising mover or delivery guy probably has a nice supplemental income selling "donated" stuff on Craigslist or eBay. </p>

<p>Shooby...when we bought our new TV at Bestbuy we paid a little extra for them to lug the old one away...</p>

<p>dc5...does that mean the prices on Samsung will go up? We've been really happy with our Samsung, HD looks awesome and we've only had one problem in 3 years that cost $250 to fix....</p>

<p>My Company makes the Screens for Sharp (I think) I can't remember the name of the actual screens, it's Aqua something, they're a seperate division to us....</p>

<p>PeterUK: Sorry for the late reply. The prices won't go up. A big reason why Samsung is building a new fab is to reduce costs. The S-LCD JV will max out at G8 (2.2M x 2.5M). Samsung is looking to get up to G11 (3.2M x 3.6M). This will allow it to make bigger screens at lower costs. These screens won't hit the market until late 2009 - early 2010 or so. Don't know what Sony will do then, but in the meantime, Samsung is still making the screens for Sony. Samsung's 70/80 series are equivalent Sony's XBR4/5, but for a cheaper price.</p>

Ah, I just made a purchase on Amazon for the 4669-F by samsung. cost 1929 with no tax and free ship. Same TV was 2599 at best buy. We'll see in a week how the TV is..hopefully its a smooth transaction.

<p>Shooby: That's a pretty good price. The 60 series is pretty good - you won't be disappointed. I got lucky on Black Friday and bought the 4066F (40") for $1150. It's hanging in my bedroom, 2 feet away from my bed.</p>

Back