Ikea cabinets

raisingboys

Has anyone used Ikea cabinets for their kitchen?  Using a third party installer and third party company for the cabinet doors?  I'm seeing a lot of Ikea cabinet designs on houzz.  Any input?

I heard the quality is really good, plus getting the soft close is a steal.  They have third party companies that make separate custom doors, too.  www.semihandmade.com

Next question, do you think this will affect the resale value of a higher-end home (considering we put high end appliances and remodel throughout the home, but the kitchen cabs and drawers are ikea steel frames).  There's a stigma about Ikea products, despite of the proven high quality if their kitchen cabinets.

furioussugar said:
raisingkids said:
I heard the quality is really good, plus getting the soft close is a steal.  They have third party companies that make separate custom doors, too.  www.semihandmade.com

Next question, do you think this will affect the resale value of a higher-end home (considering we put high end appliances and remodel throughout the home, but the kitchen cabs and drawers are ikea steel frames).  There's a stigma about Ikea products, despite of the proven high quality if their kitchen cabinets.

In a word- no.  I have a subzero frig and Miele appliances.  I find that people tend to  focus on those and the overall  feel of the room.  Obviously, ikea cabinets are for more modern/transitional kitchens.  If someone wants an old world/ dark wood/ heavy  look-  ikea doesn't offer anything that would work in a kitchen like that

The one place that matters the most is the KITCHEN.

eyephone said:
I would avoid IKEA cabinets.

Why? Have you had any bad experiences with their kitchen cabinets?

I know multiple people that have IKEA cabinets and no one seems to complain about them. In fact, most people rave about the soft-close drawers, etc. Considering the price and warranty (I hear it is a 25 year warranty), it seems like a steal.

Btw, other IKEA furniture, I'd stay away unless you are looking to change every 3-5 years.

HomeOwner Irvine said:
eyephone said:

I know multiple people that have IKEA cabinets and no one seems to complain about them. In fact, most people rave about the soft-close drawers, etc. Considering the price and warranty (I hear it is a 25 year warranty), it seems like a steal.

Btw, other IKEA furniture, I'd stay away unless you are looking to change every 3-5 years.

Isn't IKEA cabinets made from MDF (Medium density fiber board)?

eyephone said:
HomeOwner Irvine said:
eyephone said:

Isn't IKEA cabinets made from MDF (Medium density fiber board)?

Aren't most new builder cabinets MDF construction, just with solid wood drawer fronts and solid wood doors?

I think the Ikea cabinets are made out of particle board.
http://www.thekitchn.com/faiths-kit...a-kitchen-renovation-diary-faiths-budg-184072
http://www.dezignblue.com/

And you can go with a third party company to make custom cabinet doors specifically for the Ikea cabinets.
http://www.semihandmadedoors.com/

And the soft close option is NICE considering the $.  But the stigma still remains, despite of the proven quality over the last few years.  I read that the cabinets are better quality than the furnitures sold in Ikea.

Back