How much is feel worth to you?

Coleman

There are some open houses that I have been to in great cities, but I just couldn't get a feel for the street or the immediate neighborhood.  Shortly after, I end up seeing that house go pending which leads me to ask - When purchasing a home, how much does the feel of the street and immediate neighborhood matter to you in terms of dollars? 

I am quite picky when it comes to feel, but I know that not all people are.  My wife almost wanted to sacrifice feel for a very well done and remodeled house but came around.

Where are you guys?

I think the wife should be easy to convince particularly if u feel her in the right places... They usually don't complain too much if they are feeling it... And rather than complain, they make all sorts of other noises...

But then again, if I walk into a place and I start feeling it, then I know that I am in a good ktv neighborhood

Do u feel me?

From my experience.  Location plays a big factor.  I rather purchase a home in need of upgrading in a nice neighborhood over a home that's upgraded in a not so nice neighborhood.  You can always upgrade your home but you can't upgrade the location around you.

H        O        M        E        R said:
From my experience.  Location plays a big factor.  I rather purchase a home in need of upgrading in a nice neighborhood over a home that's upgraded in a not so nice neighborhood.  You can always upgrade your home but you can't upgrade the location around you.

I agree.

quattroporte said:

I agree.

Sucks you can't afford a nice neighborhood.

gwailo168 said:
There are some open houses that I have been to in great cities, but I just couldn't get a feel for the street or the immediate neighborhood.  Shortly after, I end up seeing that house go pending which leads me to ask - When purchasing a home, how much does the feel of the street and immediate neighborhood matter to you in terms of dollars? 

I am quite picky when it comes to feel, but I know that not all people are.  My wife almost wanted to sacrifice feel for a very well done and remodeled house but came around.

Where are you guys?

Items to consider when purchasing a home, both of which contribute to an aspect of "feel" that I think you're describing:

1. Curb appeal - this is what the home looks like on its own, when viewing the front entrance from getting out of your car and viewing it from the driveway or street. It's a fairly over-used term but takes in consideration if there is a front yard (or even if there's a driveway) how well it's been kept, how far away from the street the home is located (streetside setback), and colors, textures, landscaping utilized. The owner of the property has a good amount of control over this aspect of the home, within HOA guidelines where applicable...

2. The "window" of the home - I think this term is more under-utilized (just from what I've heard), but it describes more about the neighborhood and other surrounding area as you approach the home. I think this is what you're describing. Often times this has more impact on the home than it's own condition, and is dependent on how people are making an approach. Some very "skilled salespeople" will intentionally drive into an area only from a particular direction when showing homes, which will give buyers a very different feel than if they approached the home after passing several of the most run-down properties in the area, or from an alternate entrance. As a buyer, you may have a very different feel for a home when coming to it directly from a busy main thoroughfare entrance, rather than approaching home after turning off on several graduated sub-streets.

I advise any buyer to take a look at their prospective home during several different times during the day/week, and check the surrounding homes from several directions.
I like to check lawns and count basketball hoops. These items tell me if people are spending time/money outside the home, or if they're just doing the "minimum."
I'd also suggest: don't be fooled by a fancy car in a neighbor's driveway... predatory lending is still alive and well in the auto industry.
Where possible, I'd take the time to meet the neighbors as well, as that would be important to me.

Your moves may vary. 

Thx,
-IR2

test said:
quattroporte said:

I agree.

Sucks you lack class.

quattroporte said:
test said:
quattroporte said:

I agree.

Sucks you lack class.

Can you two take it outside?

paperboyNC said:
quattroporte said:
test said:
quattroporte said:

I agree.

Sucks you lack class.

Can you two take it outside?

True that

Back