How much does size matter?

All else being equal which house in Irvine would you choose?

• Brand new construction/small lot. 3k SF home, 4k lot, in the area you want.

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • Older construction/bigger lot. Same size home, same area, 6k lot, 13 year old construction, for abo

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • Brand new construction/bigger lot. Same size home, 6k lot, same area, but $250-300K more.

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • Less desirable location/bigger lot. Same size home, 6k lot, same price, but not the area you want.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
ob1 said:
IMO 13 year old floorplans don't hold a candle to new design.
I've seen some very nice 2001 floorplans. Even 1996 and 1988 ones (and yes, they have a pseudo great room set up... AND a dining room AND a living room).

Here's one from the late 90s in Westpark II:

Vintage-Floorplan-D.jpg

But that's my preference.

1 is Capella/OH or Sausalito/SG
2 is NP/NWP
3 is PP?
4 is El Camino Real/Walnut

Don't like FCBs so 1 is out.  Don't like PP location so 3 is out.  Don't even want to talk about El Camino so 4 is out.  That only leaves one.  Unless you can guarantee non smoking, polite FCB neighbors, I'll never waste my $1 million+ on my brand spanking new dream home to be polluted by second hand smoke and stinky dirty habits.

jmoney74 said:
ob1 said:
i1 said:
I'd take the older home provided floorplan is acceptable all else equal.

250-300k premium is kind of steep for 2k sqf extra lot. 150-200k extra would be more reasonable.

And if you remod to make it modern, you're in the new/big/expensive price range. 
Maybe it's nostalgia, but I think some people actually prefer older design-- reminds them of Duran Duran and Rubik's cubes.  ;)

Shots fired.

Have to agree with you though... Every old home my wife saw always concluded with her saying "let's gut the place."  Ugh... Lots of work.

Interesting. Having lived in a place with a large single great room concept, open to the dining room, which was open to the kitchen with huge island, looks great when staged, or in model homes, but we found, not that great in daily life. No separate space on the first floor for kids playthings, so its all out in the open, and the first thing you see when you walk in. don't like the second story loft as substitute for family room, because I feel its too far removed from rest of family life on the first floor. Cooking smells get everywhere. You see the kitchen clutter all the time (unless you are some magical being who can keep it model perfect all the time in daily life) No where for someone to play music/read quietly if others want to watch TV, etc.  Now that we're looking for the move up home, we're looking only for more traditional "O" layout. And considering only older areas with big (for irvine) lots.

nyc to oc said:
jmoney74 said:
ob1 said:
i1 said:

250-300k premium is kind of steep for 2k sqf extra lot. 150-200k extra would be more reasonable.

And if you remod to make it modern, you're in the new/big/expensive price range. 
Maybe it's nostalgia, but I think some people actually prefer older design-- reminds them of Duran Duran and Rubik's cubes.  ;)

Shots fired.

Have to agree with you though... Every old home my wife saw always concluded with her saying "let's gut the place."  Ugh... Lots of work.

Interesting. Having lived in a place with a large single great room concept, open to the dining room, which was open to the kitchen with huge island, looks great when staged, or in model homes, but we found, not that great in daily life. No separate space on the first floor for kids playthings, so its all out in the open, and the first thing you see when you walk in. don't like the second story loft as substitute for family room, because I feel its too far removed from rest of family life on the first floor. Cooking smells get everywhere. You see the kitchen clutter all the time (unless you are some magical being who can keep it model perfect all the time in daily life) No where for someone to play music/read quietly if others want to watch TV, etc.  Now that we're looking for the move up home, we're looking only for more traditional "O" layout. And considering only older areas with big (for irvine) lots.

It's give an take.  We like to have people over.  Open floor plan works well.  My wife is neat freak and I am neat as well (double meaning).  The place is generally clutter/mess free.  There are drawbacks I realize.. noise level when cooking while trying to watch TV.. so separation for activities.  In the end, we made the downstairs guest/inlaw room into a toy/play room. 

One topic to consider is that with a larger yard means more costs especially when it comes to hardscapes.  I spent $200k alone in my old house in San Diego and I regretted putting that much money in the yard.  Without maintaining it, it can quickly look horrid.  Which is the reason why I don't mind smaller yards.  But my opinion is the minority, so it is more of just for you to consider for yourself and lifestyle.  If all of your neighbor's yard are the same size, you shouldn't have much to worry about in resale advantage.  As I stated in my other posts, some of these builders are charging $100,000 lot premiums for larger yards that aren't even large.  If a buyer is looking at your house for sale in the future, that means they are shopping your neighborhood and all of these new constructions are very similar in comps.

jmoney74 said:
nyc to oc said:
jmoney74 said:
ob1 said:
i1 said:

Shots fired.

It's give an take.  We like to have people over.  Open floor plan works well.  My wife is neat freak and I am neat as well (double meaning).  The place is generally clutter/mess free.  There are drawbacks I realize.. noise level when cooking while trying to watch TV.. so separation for activities.  In the end, we made the downstairs guest/inlaw room into a toy/play room.

Agreed - right now we spend all our time in the kitchen/ family room. And when we have guests over everyone is around the kitchen island. No one ever uses our formal living/ dining. Even when I leave food out there during parties everyone gravitates towards the kitchen. Why is this? This is why we wanted the open plan to allow for one large space where everyone can be together but spaced out a bit.

I feel like we'd use every inch of space in the open plan vs our current home there are definitely areas that collect dust!

OS said:
ps9 said:
2 is NP/NWP
3 is PP?

Don't like FCBs so 1 is out.  Don't like PP location so 3 is out.  Don't even want to talk about El Camino so 4 is out.  That only leaves one.  Unless you can guarantee non smoking, polite FCB neighbors, I'll never waste my $1 million+ on my brand spanking new dream home to be polluted by second hand smoke and stinky dirty habits.

I'm not sure where the idea that NP has generous lots comes from. My sense is the ratio is slightly better than WB, definitely lower than PP. Sort of Westpark-ish average, with nice sized yards generally backing busy streets. Obviously some serious exceptions but my experience is 75% or so are modest.

The MLS. 
Of course, it's all realtive, but right now there are several NP listings in this range with 6k- 7k lots, and a couple with 4K - 5k lots.

ps9 said:
2 is NP/NWP
3 is PP?

I was thinking:
1.  Capella
2.  NP/NPS
3.  Other Grove projects - Saviero, La Vita, etc.
4.  PP/PS (less desirable mostly because we dont want to pull the kids out of Beckman and Orchard).

FCBs are (or were) snapping up Irvine resale too, so it might not be totally avoidable.
Although I've seen posts mention that PP has lower overall FCB density. 
Add the GP Veterans Memorial and that area may become an FCB-free zone.

ob1 said:
ps9 said:
2 is NP/NWP
3 is PP?

I was thinking:
1.  Capella
2.  NP/NPS
4.  PP/PS (less desirable mostly because we dont want to pull the kids out of Beckman and Orchard).

FCBs are (or were) snapping up Irvine resale too, so it might not be totally avoidable.

Why Capella over other Grove projects? Price?

Paris167 said:
ob1 said:
ps9 said:
2 is NP/NWP
3 is PP?

I was thinking:
1.  Capella
2.  NP/NPS

Why Capella over other Grove projects? Price?

That's just the first choice in the poll (brand new/small lot)-- not that it's better than the others.
But, I do prefer Capella's location to the others in my price range (which excludes Trevi/Amelia).

Did you jump to another project or still getting Capella?

We're still in Capella because we wanted the lowest price point to get behind the gates and the size of Capella meets our needs. I personally wanted to go a little larger with Vicenza or La Vita but the Mr wasn't having it because it would be $300k more minimum for a larger home.

But yes the location of Capella is a plus.

Paris167 said:
We're still in Capella because we wanted the lowest price point to get behind the gates and the size of Capella meets our needs. I personally wanted to go a little larger with Vicenza or La Vita but the Mr wasn't having it because it would be $300k more minimum for a larger home.

But yes the location of Capella is a plus.

For what it's worth, I think you made the right call.
KB is KB and the La Vita homes are nice, but the motorcourt piazza concept is risky, esp. if you're sharing a driveway with a bunch of FCBs.

OCgasman said:
irvinehomeowner said:
ob1 said:
the motorcourt piazza concept is risky luxury.
"test"ed that for you.
Lol, good one.

The motor court design is so stupid.

I don't know. 
As I toured the homes, I thought it might be cool if you got a good group of neighbors.
But then I imagined FCBs using the shared area as a smoke lounge/boisterous gathering area.
So, I quickly scratched LaVita from the list.

Brand new construction smaller home/lot in desirable area. Less maintenance and its like burger king, I can have it my way without all of the time and money to make it the way I would have wanted it in the first place.

Back