How about houses of columbus grove area

irviner2018

Very often see houses on redfin with relatively low price/sq feet. Any concerns with this area? Really appreciate your advice.

next to train tracks and power lines.

also very high MR compared to the surrounding area, but that factor goes away when you look at new construction because GP has MR all over.

noMoneyBackin2011 said:
next to train tracks and power lines.

also very high MR compared to the surrounding area, but that factor goes away when you look at new construction because GP has MR all over.

The Columbus Grove has some properties in Irvine city, which do not have power line and train track. But still has lower $ per sqft. Mello Roos is about 4 k per yr.

Burn That Belly said:
The most safest bet today if buying new in Irvine is either Eastwood or the Reserves. Eastwood has the lowest operating costs in terms of Mello Roos and HOA fees when you buy detached and the most amount of amenities and convenience nearby with almost no environmental concerns, in addition having a walk-able brand new elementary school and two massive pools. The Reserves takes it up a notch with gated community, larger foot prints of nearly identical floor plans but with larger dining room and standard stacking doors that you see in Marin, in addition to having a choice to buy a view lot of the gorgeous panoramic skyline. It's like buying a BMW X3 30i or the BMW X3 M40i. The latter is a SAV that does 0-60 as fast as the 2JZ-GTE Paul Walker Supra.

We feel the new ones are overprice, that's why we find Columbus Grove with low price. You mentioned in another post about one property recently listed (desert willow in Irvine city) at 1.255M. Is this price already low? Or if it should be even lower? We find most recent sells in Columbus grove are sold 30-40k lower than listing price. So we suppose, this property will sell around 1.2M, which is way much lower than all other properties in Irvine regardless of the high mello Roos . But why? The only bad thing is the construction circle nearby? waste disposal? not sure if it is also has landfills on site.

irviner2018 said:
Burn That Belly said:
The most safest bet today if buying new in Irvine is either Eastwood or the Reserves. Eastwood has the lowest operating costs in terms of Mello Roos and HOA fees when you buy detached and the most amount of amenities and convenience nearby with almost no environmental concerns, in addition having a walk-able brand new elementary school and two massive pools. The Reserves takes it up a notch with gated community, larger foot prints of nearly identical floor plans but with larger dining room and standard stacking doors that you see in Marin, in addition to having a choice to buy a view lot of the gorgeous panoramic skyline. It's like buying a BMW X3 30i or the BMW X3 M40i. The latter is a SAV that does 0-60 as fast as the 2JZ-GTE Paul Walker Supra.

We feel the new ones are overprice, that's why we find Columbus Grove with low price. You mentioned in another post about one property recently listed (desert willow in Irvine city) at 1.255M. Is this price already low? Or if it should be even lower? We find most recent sells in Columbus grove are sold 30-40k lower than listing price. So we suppose, this property will sell around 1.2M, which is way much lower than all other properties in Irvine regardless of the high mello Roos . But why? The only bad thing is the construction circle nearby? waste disposal? not sure if it is also has landfills on site.

It's all of that and also perception.  It is in Irvine and IUSD not perceived as such.  It is also now zoned into Irvine High, which is the "worst" of the high schools in IUSD.

That area has grown a lot and the houses are really nice.  The neighborhood is quite good as well.  It's just not seen as "desirable" as other parts of Irvine. 

I think if you are just looking for a house to live you as opposed to "maximizing house value", CG is a great buy. 

Yes, the school for Columbus Grove is not Northwood High or University High, but Woodbrigde High. I guess also the worst in IUSD.
But we are afraid that the low price (not considering high MR) is due to the former superfund land nearby and the waste management and multiple construction crushers next door. Some place even say it is waste transfer with multiple landfills. :(

Is the land that bad in West Irvine? Some properties in Westpark looks really nice, but very few on the market. The location is central, no other place can compare though.

The facts that West Irvine. West Park ultra low inventory showed you that it is a desired community to live in and people don?t want to trade up. Don?t listen from one voice.

irviner2018 said:
Yes, the school for Columbus Grove is not Northwood High or University High, but Woodbrigde High. I guess also the worst in IUSD.
But we are afraid that the low price (not considering high MR) is due to the former superfund land nearby and the waste management and multiple construction crushers next door. Some place even say it is waste transfer with multiple landfills. :(

Is the land that bad in West Irvine? Some properties in Westpark looks really nice, but very few on the market. The location is central, no other place can compare though.

If you are looking for a nice house to live in...it does not really matter what area of Irvine you pick.  West Irvine is in an older area and the floor plans are less desirable but bigger lots and yards.  I would say that upkeep is not as nice and the amenities not as good.  But the homes themselves are fine and so are the neighborhoods. 

Columbus Grove does suffer from being pretty close to the Jamboree Speedway and major streets like Barranca/Warner/Harvard.  It is a smaller community so the buffer is not as great. 

I like how you are pushing your envelope -- Woodbury :) and dropping off PS.

Burn That Belly said:
irviner2018 said:

There's a negative perception of the area. It's not as desirable. It's not as  beautiful as masterplanned communities like the newer Irvine pacific products such as Stonegate, Woodbury, Eastwood, Orchard Hills. It has no good looking trails, no good looking and giant shopping center like Woodbury Towne Center.  It's also more noisy due to the cross traffic and lack of greenery to buffer out the noise.

OCLuvr said:
I like how you are pushing your envelope -- Woodbury :) and dropping off PS.

Burn That Belly said:
irviner2018 said:

There's a negative perception of the area. It's not as desirable. It's not as  beautiful as masterplanned communities like the newer Irvine pacific products such as Stonegate, Woodbury, Eastwood, Orchard Hills. It has no good looking trails, no good looking and giant shopping center like Woodbury Towne Center.  It's also more noisy due to the cross traffic and lack of greenery to buffer out the noise.

I feel bad for PS...it's like the unwanted kid.  It's in the way back and way too spread out.  It is nowhere close to a commercial center and even the elementary school is outside of the community.  Numbers don't lie though...tons of sales and lower $/sq ft.

OCLuvr said:
Yeah true. Numbers don't lie..If $512/sq ft is less, I am okay with less :)
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/21-Shaman-92618/home/7203783

Sold on 12/17/2017

Can I see an equivalent Woodbury comp ;)?

If none, please stop creating FUD

Average Redfin $/sq ft:

PS: 

No. Listing:  69

List price:  $448
Sale price: $408

Woodbury

No. Listing: 13
List Price:  $464
Sale price: $423

Stonegate:

No. Listing:  16

List price:  $484
Sale price:  $502

Realtor.com

PS:

Median Listing price:  $1.1 M
Median List $/sq ft: $450
Average size of property:  2444 square feet
Average days on market: about 60
Median Selling price:  $766K
Mediate Selling $/sq ft:  $310

Woodbury:
Median Listing Price $908K
Median Listing $/sq ft: $464
Average Sq ft of property:  1957 sq ft.
Average days on the market:  about 50
Median Selling price: $740K
Average $/sq ft sold:  $378

Stonegate:
Median Listing Price:  $1.2 M
Median Listing $/sq ft:  $483
Average size of property:  2484
Average days on Market: about 50
Median Selling Price:  $1.1 M
Median selling $/sq feet:  $442

The comparisons with Stonegate is hard because Stonegate is still selling new.  But Woodbury has been done selling for a few years...PS is still selling new.

We shouldn't forget that PS has close to 6000 homes where as SG/WB have a lot less homes, roughly 2000. That skews the average numbers quite a bit. My point is: PS is three times of SG/WB; so fair comparison would be when they are completely built out. As far elementary school goes, WB elementary is year round and very few people like it. WB/SG have shown their max potential, as they are completely/almost built out. PS is still on going. One thing is what we believe on the forum as opposed to reality. Altair is right next to PS, but it is selling like hot cakes as opposed to people's favorite OH3, EW

Is it the most updated data? I guess they are all types of properties mixed together. Usually smaller condo has higher $/sqft in Stonegate, woodbury and cypress village.

Also the SFR in Columbus Grove is with similar $/sqft.( ~$430/sqft). not low at all.

BTW, PS has potential landslides from the landfills uphills and former superfund land in great park  down the south.

Laguna Altair is close to the new monuments and multiple highways.

OCLuvr said:
We shouldn't forget that PS has close to 6000 homes where as SG/WB have a lot less homes, roughly 2000. That skews the average numbers quite a bit. My point is: PS is three times of SG/WB; so fair comparison would be when they are completely built out. As far elementary school goes, WB elementary is year round very few people like it. WB/SG have shown their max potential, as they are completely/almost built out. PS is still on going. One thing is what we believe on the forum as opposed to reality. Altair is right next to PS, but it is selling like hot cakes as opposed to people's favorite OH3, EW

Altair is gated and completely different.  PS hasn't sold nearly as well as Stonegate or Woodbury. 

A community selling new homes are going to skew up the sales numbers.  A comparison cannot be had until all new sales are completed and the real estate market have settled.  FWIW:  Trulia shows that the price at PS has dropped 6% YOY.
https://www.trulia.com/real_estate/Portola_Springs-Irvine/13087/market-trends/

Back