Housing Analysis

OC_relocation said:
We moved to Irvine in 2010 during the time of housing crisis. We were new in the country so had no idea about real estate, i wish someone had told us. We had the opportunity to buy SFH in Stonegate for around 500ish, LR for around 800s, PP for around 600K and condos for 300ish. We missed the boat. 

We decided to buy in 2012/13 time frame, looked aggressively in Irvine and around OC. We couldn't compete with cash buyers, finally in 2014 we bought a condo.

Irvine in 2010/11 was very different from what we have now, there was no CV, Stonegate was partially built, PS was half built, no signs of GP/Altair/OH(new)/EW. 

Now you have many options. There is simple supply demand equation, in next slow down, Irvine will be impacted for sure. How much it will be impacted depends on how desperate people are, and job market.

One of my friends just bought a house at Altair, where builder offered them 200K discount.

I am not an expert in RE by any means, but i would not rush to buy now.

Thanks for sharing your story. Not bad $200k discount. Not bad at all.

You can?t control everything mainly time. If you get lucky that?s great, but I?ve come to the decision to not put off buying a home or starting a family because you want to time the market.

My nephew has an argument with his parents whenever he saves up enough to buy whatever new video game is coming out that month. They?ll tell him can?t you wait, they always drop in price like a couple months after they come out. His response is always, but then I didn?t have the game for those months.

So you may have to overpaying retrospect if you want a house at the ?wrong? time in the market, but as long as you?re responsible like my nephew who saves up his birthday gifts, allowance, etc. then being able to live in the house and get started with your life is worth more than anything IMO.

We?ve come to grips with this and understand that sure if we were born a couple years later maybe we?d catch a down point in the market. But we are what we are. One thing you can?t control is time. We aren?t getting any younger.

jamesKirk said:
You can?t control everything mainly time. If you get lucky that?s great, but I?ve come to the decision to not put off buying a home or starting a family because you want to time the market.

My nephew has an argument with his parents whenever he saves up enough to buy whatever new video game is coming out that month. They?ll tell him can?t you wait, they always drop in price like a couple months after they come out. His response is always, but then I didn?t have the game for those months.

So you may have to overpaying retrospect if you want a house at the ?wrong? time in the market, but as long as you?re responsible like my nephew who saves up his birthday gifts, allowance, etc. then being able to live in the house and get started with your life is worth more than anything IMO.

We?ve come to grips with this and understand that sure if we were born a couple years later maybe we?d catch a down point in the market. But we are what we are. One thing you can?t control is time. We aren?t getting any younger.

This is how we felt as well! We bought when we were ready to buy, and we're really happy to finally be living in a home we own. Now we feel like we can actually think seriously about having children. There's more to life than ROI!

moc said:
jamesKirk said:

This is how we felt as well! We bought when we were ready to buy, and we're really happy to finally be living in a home we own. Now we feel like we can actually think seriously about having children. There's more to life than ROI!

MaxROI 4 life

Compressed-Village said:
Liar Loan said:
Compressed-Village said:
Interesting. So how much longer before we start to see a big drop? You sounds like you know the timing, so fill me in.

You don't consider 4.6% of your home's value to be a big drop?  That's a $56,000 loss in one year based on Irvine's existing SFR median price. 

We are still in the early innings though.  The "big" drops will probably begin next year once the rest of OC starts declining like Irvine.  There's still a long ways to go before this bottoms out.

You talking bullsh--....my same model matched just closed a month ago with a gain of $50K compared to a year ago on the same model sold. So there you have it. You can't take an average of 4.6% for a neighborhood....You clearly don't know what you talking about. The hood that I am in, seeing an increase on average of 3%. There.....

Really?  Your argument is that one particular house increased 50K whereas LL's argument is that all of Irvine dropped 4.6% on average?  Your argument, regardless of your position, is simply just weak. 

Liar Loan said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Liar Loan said:
IHO - You shouldn't really average a median.  The way the OCR does it is compare the median for the full 6-month period to the median for the same 6-month period one year ago.

According to OCR for the first half of 2019:

SFR's ~ Sales -8.5% ~ Median price -2.4%
Condos ~ Sales -10.5% ~ Median price -0.9%
New Homes ~ Sales -34.4% ~ Median price +5.9%
---------------------------------------------------------
TOTAL ~ Sales -12.5% ~ Median price 0.0% (Flat)

Not sure why not. All I did was use the median for each month and average them so you can see what the median is for a 6-month period and a 12-month and compare them.

Median as a data point isn't actually entirely reliable either but that's all the data I have to play with.

Still,  just using your numbers, if sales volume is so low, why aren't prices lower?

Once you average a series of six or twelve medians, they cease to be medians.  You have to pick one or the other, mean or median, because even the lowliest statistics professor at UCI would advise against taking the mean of a series of medians to derive anything meaningful about the data.  The mean, median, and mode are all meant to be summary statistics that capture the "center" of the data.  They are alternatives to one another, not designed to be layered on top of one another.

Sales volume is a leading indicator of the market.  Once sales start to decline, it takes awhile for prices to find a new equilibrium, especially since real estate transactions take a long time to close, and the market then needs time to absorb that new information.

math is not his forte as we saw previously.

irvinehomeowner said:
And you want to keep using that whopping 4.6% drop. Isn't that within a seasonal delta? I've posted that YOY prices in the last 5-8 years have experienced drops of 5-15% so isn't anything in that range considered business as usual?

Drops beyond that... to me, is worth talking about. Some have predicted that *prices* will drop over 15%. You said "big"... is that what you mean?

Sounds like you are hedging now.  Only drops greater than 15% is worth talking about?  15% in Irvine can easily be a 200K price drop.  How long would it take you to save 200K post tax dollars?

Contrary to what you say, Irvine has not seen YoY price declines in the last 5-8 years.  We are seeing the first price declines now.  I honestly do not know where you get all this false data.  Please post your 5-15% YoY price declines in the past 5-8 years. 
https://www.zillow.com/irvine-ca/home-values/

meccos12 said:
irvinehomeowner said:
And you want to keep using that whopping 4.6% drop. Isn't that within a seasonal delta? I've posted that YOY prices in the last 5-8 years have experienced drops of 5-15% so isn't anything in that range considered business as usual?

Drops beyond that... to me, is worth talking about. Some have predicted that *prices* will drop over 15%. You said "big"... is that what you mean?

Sounds like you are hedging now.  Only drops greater than 15% is worth talking about?  15% in Irvine can easily be a 200K price drop.  How long would it take you to save 200K post tax dollars?

Contrary to what you say, Irvine has not seen YoY price declines in the last 5-8 years.  We are seeing the first price declines now.  I honestly do not know where you get all this false data.  Please post your 5-15% YoY price declines in the past 5-8 years. 
https://www.zillow.com/irvine-ca/home-values/

Either you misread me or I wasn't clear enough. I'm talking about seasonal drops. I posted about this before where some drops each year can be as much as 5-15%.. it all depends on where you measure it from, which from what I was saying above, is subjective. Maybe I should have used the term "seasonal" instead of YOY.

From your Zillow chart:

Jan 2011 to Apr 2011: 7.7% drop
Aug 2011 to Nov 2011: 6% drop
Jan 2011 to Jan 2012:  9% drop (YOY)
Jan 2011 to Apr 2012: 16.6% drop  (more than 15%!)
Aug 2016 to Feb 2017: 9.6% drop

But as I said, these are all vague numbers because you don't know what kind of housing stock sold during these highs and lows.

I find it hard to say that the majority of buyers can save "16%" on any home today vs a home they could have bought a year ago, but that's the story you like to tell.

Maybe you should be a realtor and find all these bargains for people.

moc said:

"He who observes the wind will not sow, and he who regards the clouds will not reap." - Ecclesiastes 11:4

Or basically "You don't always have to wait for perfect conditions."

irvinehomeowner said:
Either you misread me or I wasn't clear enough. I'm talking about seasonal drops. I posted about this before where some drops each year can be as much as 5-15%.. it all depends on where you measure it from, which from what I was saying above, is subjective.

Im sorry, did I misread you writing "YoY"????  Wait a minute... no you clearly wrote YoY.  So no, I did not misread you, but you seem to be misleading if anything.

irvinehomeowner said:
Maybe I should have used the term "seasonal" instead of YOY.

LOL really?  Maybe?  Yeah maybe since these are easily two exchangeable terms huh? 

irvinehomeowner said:
I find it hard to say that the majority of buyers can save "16%" on any home today vs a home they could have bought a year ago, but that's the story you like to tell.

If prices have dropped nearly 5% and there has been a 1% reduction in rates, then you can buy 16% more home with the same money today than you could have one year ago.  I believe those were my exact words.  Do you want me to do the math for you?  I know you have a hard time with that.

meccos12 said:
If prices have dropped nearly 5% and there has been a 1% reduction in rates, then you can buy 16% more home with the same money today than you could have one year ago.  I believe those were my exact words.  Do you want me to do the math for you?  I know you have a hard time with that.

Not really. It depends on the house, the upgrades, the location. ?Nearly 5%? does not apply to all homes thus the math is not that simple.

And yes, at least I admit that I misused YOY. You still have not figured out what paying a fixed 15 year payment on a 10/1 ARM means.

?LOL?

Let's get back to discussing the topic:

meccos12 said:

So according to your link:

The median home value in Irvine is $851,200. Irvine home values have declined -1.3% over the past year and Zillow predicts they will fall -2.5% within the next year.

According to Redfin:https://www.redfin.com/city/9361/CA/Irvine/housing-market

Home Prices in Irvine
Average over the last month
$875K Sale Price
+2.9% since last year

So Redfin says 2.9% increase and Zillow says 1.3% drop. But let's use the lower number.

Shouldn't that indicator of decreasing sales volume from March 2018 had a larger effect than a 1.3% drop?

And I'm not asking because I'm trying to prove anyone wrong... I'm asking because I agree with you guys when you said lower volume should result in lower sales prices.

I don't think a lag is a good answer because despite reported lower volume since March 2018, Irvine prices have gone up and down several times (seasonal?).

I'll offer my own theory since no one else has said anything other than lag:

I think in a less stable owners market, sales volume has a larger effect due to panic, inability to pay, etc... but when most of the owners are more financially stable and don't need to sell, the downward price pressure is not as high because they can just "wait". On most of the real estate sites, you'll see that the distressed homes charts are lower than previous years. The Zillow chart shows foreclosed homes in Irvine at less than 2% since 2013. Their Irvine health summary says:

Irvine Market Health
Data through Jun 30, 2019
69 Average days on Zillow
3.7% Homes with negative equity (8.2% US Avg) (Jun 30, 2018)
0.4% Delinquent on mortgage (1.1% US Avg) (Jun 30, 2018)

That's less than half the US average, which is already pretty low too.

Combine this financially stable owner base with low rates and always available new home stock seems to skew the math expectation of much lower prices in Irvine.

In 2008 the FEDS balance sheet was 0.8 trillion dollars
Today it is 3.8 trillion dollars
After 11 years, where did the 3 extra trillion dollars go to? ???

Do you think housing is going to drop?
Maybe it's time to buy gold or at least something tangible like a house.

Why is the stock market hitting all time highs?  I wonder...

Here is the graph in dollars of the fed balance sheet:

fredgraph.png

It kind of correlates with real estate values.  As you see the fed unwind in 2018, you see property values start to flatten and drop.

irvinehomeowner said:
So any other theories on why the decrease in volume hasn't had as large an effect on prices?

According to Case Shiller, price index for LA metro area is up *YOY* for July:
https://us.spindices.com/indices/re...case-shiller-los-angeles-home-price-nsa-index

July 2019: 286.18
July 2018: 282.96

Maybe instead of "slowdown" it's a "not rising as fast".

Real estate rising slower than the already low rate of inflation is not a good sign.

The early 80's downturn was characterized by "flat" prices from 1980-85.  The problem is inflation was very high over that time, so the buying power of a dollar in 1980 got whacked by the end of 1985.  Anybody that sold, would have been much better off selling in 1980 than in 1985.  Conversely, buyers were much better off buying in 1985 than in 1980.  Yet if you look at a price chart of that era, you might assume that no price crash occurred.

The same thing applies to this example, albeit in the beginning stages of a downturn.

Sure timing is important also, but more important fact in RE business are these 3 things.

Location.

Location.

Location.

You're welcome.

Back