Homeless camps coming to Irvine

Compressed-Village said:
WTTCHMN said:
Irvine sued over treatment of homeless people and lack of shelters
https://www.ocregister.com/2019/02/...ment-of-homeless-people-and-lack-of-shelters/

That?s what makes this country so great. Anyone can sued anyone and enrich the lawyers. Make Irvine Great Again. At the end of the day, it?s just noise and nothing come out of it except putting foods on table for lawyers to chow down.

It's a civil rights case...the lawyers who work for the non-profit don't make more money.

Something is brewing as I heard about this suit as well as others coming from several news outlets yesterday. It was jarring to hear how "Beverly Hills and Irvine are both falling short of their commitments" and how "nobody wants to be Huntington Beach" - referring to the Governors recent lawsuit over lack of affordable housing in HB. So now housing activists are considering Irvine to equal Beverly Hills. Interesting.,,,

Expect the push for South OC to host more homeless shelters and build affordable housing to strengthen.

My .02c

Part of this is the Irvine Company's fault.  I was at a forum recently where it said something like 3/4s of Orange County vouchers for housing go unused because there aren't enough apartment complexes that will take the vouchers. 

Think about that.  We already have programs that exist to help people out who are on the brink of either becoming homeless or getting back on their feet, but they can't actually find a place to stay despite having some income and guaranteed rent money...

eyephone said:
They should fix that light on Valencia and Kensington Park by DD. That light has been blinking red for a while.
(Tustin legacy area)

Someone that just drove by that area told me that the light works properly. But in the morning before I posted it didn?t. I?m glad that my previous post somehow resolved the light to be fixed.

Irvine will fight this lawsuit due to voter opposition/NIMBY forces. But if they lose, I foresee a shelter at GP or even IBC.

There is nothing to fight really. The issue at hand is that if a bunch of homeless people set up camp in some Irvine park, the Irvine police can?tove them. Some Boise Idaho case ruled that unless you have a shelter bed available you can?t not remove the homeless. So Irvine doesn?t actually have to open a shelter, but if they don?t have shelter beds to offer the homeless you can?t move them by arresting them or anything. By law, you can no longer enforce anti-camping rules agaisnt the homeless without having the shelter beds to offer them. Boise is challenging the ruling. Once Santa Ana and several other central OC cities opened up temporary shelters pretty quickly. Once that happened Tustin agreed to open a shelter as well because they didn?t want the Santa Ana homeless to come to Tustin and start camping in Tustin parks. So the temporary shelter is next to the AMC by the district on barranca

And Irvine wants to "chip in" to have Irvine homeless go to the Tustin shelter because it's near Irvine anyway so why duplicate services, according to Mayor Wagner. Tustin can probably be bought off but expect the residents to pitch a fit and count on it being very organized and loud.

Ready2Downsize said:
And Irvine wants to "chip in" to have Irvine homeless go to the Tustin shelter because it's near Irvine anyway so why duplicate services, according to Mayor Wagner. Tustin can probably be bought off but expect the residents to pitch a fit and count on it being very organized and loud.

Everyone in Tustin wants to stick it to Irvine so highly unlikely that will happen. Irvine?s homeless populations appears to be substantially higher so I can?t see Tustin residents being ok with a 200 or so bed low barrier shelter just because Irvine doesn?t want one. Tustin tried to do that as well, but the judge said no

Back