Home Purchase

If you are a realtor/broker.. You can pull up that info on the MLS. 

If you aren't a realtor/broker, you can go to the property, knock on the door and ask for their name, if they paid cash or took out a mortgage.

I believe those details are public info that can be found at the County (Clerk Recorders Office?).

Title companies gather that data and typically provide real estate professionals access to it.

You can also purchase access yourself.  One company I've used is SiteX:http://www.sitexdata.comand I believe it costs ~$4 per property (unless you have a monthly plan which reduces the cost).

JakeRoberts said:
When a home is purchased, where can I look up who bought the property, and if they paid cash, or took out a mortgage?

If you PM me with the property address I'd be happy to provide you the info.
-IR2

I think that information is still available publicly... or privately via some vendor (like foreclosureradar.com or propertyshark.com).

after being told such and such property sold for cash, I wanted to do some fact finding myself to determine if such and such property did indeed sell for cash

I think that normally when a property sells for cash, the pending date and the close date is very fast.  Like 15 days or less...but that' what I've noticed.

zubs said:
I think that normally when a property sells for cash, the pending date and the close date is very fast.  Like 15 days or less...but that' what I've noticed.
Yeah, that tends to be true for the most part but there are exceptions.  Like I had a cash buyer for a condo recently and it took over 30 days to close because the REO seller took their sweet time in getting what we needed to close (signed grant deed and approval of HOA delinquencies). 

propertyshark.com
Great website!

So without being a realtor, or going through a realtor, the County Clerk Recorders Office is where I go to find out if a property was purchased with cash?

I'm not sure the County Clerk Recorder would have information on all-cash transactions.

If there is no loan information, you could make the assumption it is all cash but that may not be entirely accurate.

irvinehomeowner said:
I'm not sure the County Clerk Recorder would have information on all-cash transactions.

If there is no loan information, you could make the assumption it is all cash but that may not be entirely accurate.
The way that you'll know it was an all cash puchase is that there will not be a recorded deed of trust (mortgage) on the same day (or within days) that the grant deed gets recorded.

USCTrojanCPA said:
irvinehomeowner said:

The way that you'll know it was an all cash puchase is that there will not be a recorded deed of trust (mortgage) on the same day (or within days) that the grant deed gets recorded.

i know some guys that like kneecaps and baseball bats that will give you a loan but not report it ;)

rkp said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
irvinehomeowner said:

i know some guys that like kneecaps and baseball bats that will give you a loan but not report it ;)
They charge too much.  :p

Back