HOA & Washing your car on your driveway

B2FiNiTY

So what kind of places around Irvine have SFR or similar that allows you to wash your car at home?

Seems like nowadays, most communities don't allow washing your car.

B2FiNiTY said:
So what kind of places around Irvine have SFR or similar that allows you to wash your car at home?

Seems like nowadays, most communities don't allow washing your car.

The CC&Rs in Orchard Hills Village II allow it, but have some silly requirements that efforts are made to divert the water runoff away from the street and into soil (conservation).

If you guys haven't tried it yet, Optimum No Rinse is heaven's gift to car washing.  Only need a bucket of water so neighbors can't really say anything.  either 2 bucket method or just buy a dozen microfibers and throw it in the ONR.  I use a electric blow dryer for faster drying and have a large waffle towel for any remaining excess water (just tab dry). No swirls and takes 15-20 mins  ;D 

SoclosetoIrvine said:
If you guys haven't tried it yet, Optimum No Rinse is heaven's gift to car washing.  Only need a bucket of water so neighbors can't really say anything.  either 2 bucket method or just buy a dozen microfibers and throw it in the ONR.  I use a electric blow dryer for faster drying and have a large waffle towel for any remaining excess water (just tab dry). No swirls and takes 15-20 mins  ;D

ONR is amazing! 2 bucket method and clean/dry each panel until entirely clean. The time it takes a bit of work is getting all the bugs off of my front bumper. Still haven't figured out an efficient way to clean those off.

vh5150 said:
SoclosetoIrvine said:

ONR is amazing! 2 bucket method and clean/dry each panel until entirely clean. The time it takes a bit of work is getting all the bugs off of my front bumper. Still haven't figured out an efficient way to clean those off.
http://googone.com/products/automotive-spray-gel/

HOA doesnt allow it because the state doesnt allow it, its illegal.  Even if the HOA does allow it its still illegal.

irvinehomeowner said:
If you can afford to live in Irvine, you don't wash your own car.

:)

Maybe more folks could afford to live in Irvine, if they did more things like wash their cars themselves.  :-[

Perspective said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Maybe more folks could afford to live in Irvine, if they did more things like wash their cars themselves.  :-[

I thought people don't wash their cars to afford living in Irvine. :p

irvinehomeowner said:

I didn't mind washing my car...actually enjoyed it when I had the time.  Any ever look into chemicalguys.com, Costco online carries one of their kits, but haven't done much research myself.  I'd like to wash my cars myself again.

irvinehomeowner said:

I know you're being sarcastic, but it's not about the money. It's a hobby and passion
Same as people who take care of their own gardens etc

For me specifically, I'm a little OCD when it comes down to paint care and I won't take it to any of those $20 washes.  You are guaranteed swirls from bad washing techniques and I wouldn't trust those people making minimum wage to care for your car.  Look at your car paint in direct sunlight, you'll probably see swirls or small scratches/webbing. You do more harm from a bad wash than not washing it, period.  When I bring my car If I do get lazy enough or need a nice detail, I'll only take it to a few guys that I trust with their work and cleaning methods.  I have a good mobile guy that comes out but he's $$$ but his work is on point

I just found a mobile guy. He brings his own vats of soft water in the back of his truck, clay wax, all the supplies. Does dent removal. Appears to do a great job on my one neighbor's 5 cars. I'm probably going to give it a try.

SoCal said:
I just found a mobile guy. He brings his own vats of soft water in the back of his truck, clay wax, all the supplies. Does dent removal. Appears to do a great job on my one neighbor's 5 cars. I'm probably going to give it a try.

Which neighbor, Corvette Guy? :p

rideBMC said:
SoCal said:

Which neighbor, Corvette Guy? :p

:D It's actually "Pajama Pants"!!!

The guy has 1 older truck ($), 1 new truck ($$), 2 brand new sports cars, ($$$$$), and a Harley Davidson ($$$$).

Yet he rents a small house and can't afford a pair of pants.

Corvette Guy has 2 Corvettes and takes meticulous care of them on his own.

irvinehomeowner said:
So like the 240 receptacle thread, all you guys must have Teslas.

No one washes Hondas or Toyotas by hand.

#SarcasmStrike2
#ToyotaLivesMatter

SoCal said:

Awesome! Yes make sure they have soft water is the biggest thing.  Another thing to see is if he does hand buff or uses an buffing machine/polisher.  Usually machine is needed to get rid of any minor scratches/swirls.  Check in sunlight after he finishes to see if the surface is "mirror" like  8)

vh5150 said:
The time it takes a bit of work is getting all the bugs off of my front bumper. Still haven't figured out an efficient way to clean those off.

This is going to sound like major OCD but if you check your bumper daily when you get home, some basic onr/microfiber will do the job on those bugs/bird boop.  It gets really hard to remove when it gets caked in sunlight.  Some meguiar quikwax or quikdetailer is what I use for anything harder to remove. 

SoclosetoIrvine said:
irvinehomeowner said:
So like the 240 receptacle thread, all you guys must have Teslas.

No one washes Hondas or Toyotas by hand.

#SarcasmStrike2
#ToyotaLivesMatter

SoCal said:

Awesome! Yes make sure they have soft water is the biggest thing.  Another thing to see is if he does hand buff or uses an buffing machine/polisher.  Usually machine is needed to get rid of any minor scratches/swirls.  Check in sunlight after he finishes to see if the surface is "mirror" like  8)

vh5150 said:
The time it takes a bit of work is getting all the bugs off of my front bumper. Still haven't figured out an efficient way to clean those off.

This is going to sound like major OCD but if you check your bumper daily when you get home, some basic onr/microfiber will do the job on those bugs/bird boop.  It gets really hard to remove when it gets caked in sunlight.  Some meguiar quikwax or quikdetailer is what I use for anything harder to remove.

It sounds a bit OCD, but it sounds more like something I did in my late teens/early 20s only.

Back