HOA Direct TV: Santa Maria Plan 2

fishfinder333

I live in Santa Maria Plan 2 in Stonegate. These homes are townhomes/condo style. I would like to install diret tv but my plan has no balcony. HOA states that I can only install dirct tv via tripod and cannot be mounted on roof or common walls due to the fact they are maintained by HOA. I do have a atrium that is considered exclusive common area. Can I mount a dish in my own atrium even though HOA maintains those walls in the atrium?

The FCC Telecommunications Act of 1996 prohibits restrictions that impair the installation, maintenance or use of antennas used to receive video programming.

Im so confused. Anyone with HOA and direct tv experience please chime in. I'm currently fighting my hoa, but have yet to receive a response when I pointed the to the FCC sight.

Thanks

No, you cannot mount a dish in the common area that is maintained by the HOA.  What happens if you cause damage to the wall?  What happens when you move out?  These are the reasons why you aren't able mount a dish in a condo environment.

From FCC site - looks like it needs to be an exclusive use area:

The rule applies to individuals who place antennas that meet size limitations on property that they own or rent and that is within their exclusive use or control, including condominium owners and cooperative owners, and tenants who have an area where they have exclusive use, such as a balcony or patio, in which to install the antenna.  The rule applies to townhomes and manufactured homes, as well as to single family homes.

The rule allows local governments, community associations and landlords to enforce restrictions that do not impair the installation, maintenance or use of the types of antennas described above, as well as restrictions needed for safety or historic preservation.  Under some circumstances where a central or common antenna is available, a community association or landlord may restrict the installation of individual antennas.  The rule does not apply to common areas that are owned by a landlord, a community association, or jointly by condominium or cooperative owners where the antenna user does not have an exclusive use area.  Such common areas may include the roof or exterior wall of a multiple dwelling unit.  Therefore, restrictions on antennas installed in or on such common areas are enforceable.

qwerty said:

The rule applies to individuals who place antennas that meet size limitations on property that they own or rent and that is within their exclusive use or control, including condominium owners and cooperative owners, and tenants who have an area where they have exclusive use, such as a balcony or patio, in which to install the antenna.  The rule applies to townhomes and manufactured homes, as well as to single family homes.

The rule allows local governments, community associations and landlords to enforce restrictions that do not impair the installation, maintenance or use of the types of antennas described above, as well as restrictions needed for safety or historic preservation.  Under some circumstances where a central or common antenna is available, a community association or landlord may restrict the installation of individual antennas.  The rule does not apply to common areas that are owned by a landlord, a community association, or jointly by condominium or cooperative owners where the antenna user does not have an exclusive use area.  Such common areas may include the roof or exterior wall of a multiple dwelling unit.  Therefore, restrictions on antennas installed in or on such common areas are enforceable.

Isn't my atrium my exclusive use area? Therefore shouldn't I be able to install the dish on the eave within my atrium?

fishfinder333 said:
I live in Santa Maria Plan 2 in Stonegate. These homes are townhomes/condo style. I would like to install diret tv but my plan has no balcony. HOA states that I can only install dirct tv via tripod and cannot be mounted on roof or common walls due to the fact they are maintained by HOA. I do have a atrium that is considered exclusive common area. Can I mount a dish in my own atrium even though HOA maintains those walls in the atrium?

The FCC Telecommunications Act of 1996 prohibits restrictions that impair the installation, maintenance or use of antennas used to receive video programming.

Im so confused. Anyone with HOA and direct tv experience please chime in. I'm currently fighting my hoa, but have yet to receive a response when I pointed the to the FCC sight.

Thanks

For some reason when you mention tripod, qwerty is the first thing pop into my mind.

fishfinder333 said:
qwerty said:

Isn't my atrium my exclusive use area? Therefore shouldn't I be able to install the dish on the eave within my atrium?

Just get cable instead of satellite. Unless you are already have an existing contract with direct tv.

if you pierce the outside wall of your condo to run a wire, you will be required to remove that wire once the HOA figures it out.  You most likely will have to do something slightly inconvenient and not great looking, which is run the wire through your door.  A flat wire which directv has is less obstructive than a round coaxial wire.

Back