High School salesperson

irvinehusky

Have any of you gotten solicited by high school age looking kids that try to sell something to fund their school trip to Europe or things like that?  They're always so slick you know they're not doing this part time.  They have a comeback for anything you say.  Well coached.

I had one the other day saying he lives close by (don't they all say that?) and selling discount cards for Uni High's wrestling team.  If he's not lying then he must be a super-duper lightweight since I probably could have snapped him in two easily.

Well, I get rid of them as politely as possible but when one said "you don't want to help us get to Europe?", I really wanted to tell him, "I can't afford to send my own kids to Europe; that's your parents' responsibility" but didn't.

Anyway, I assume all of these kind of kids are "pros"?

We do buy from the neighbors' kids, Girl Scouts, etc.

Because I hate dealing with these types of characters, I often don't answer the door. 

You come to Bullsback's house, odds are I will not open the door. You'll know I'm there cause you will hear some form of sports tv on in the background and probably some sounds. Only problem is if we have the front door open cause our daughter is playing out front with us. Then we are in trouble...thankfully I usually use my daughter as the excuse and say, oh we are going to the park right now, come by later. When they come by later....no answer.

So these kids aren't legit?

The discounts don't work?

Bought 2 in the last few months, one from Pop Warner kids (the VIP Card) in front of Albertson's in Quail Hill and another from a Boy Scout in front of Ralph's (had a $5 immediate discount from Ralph's).

Used the VIP Card to get discounted Disneyland tickets that made up for the $20 for the card and then some (and had a better discount than AAA).

The problem is, I keep forgetting to use the discount cards when I go to places they can be used at.

The Boy Scout/Girl Scout deals in front of shops, etc. are all fine.  I'm talking about slick talking kids that knock on your door.  They're not your shy, cute Girl Scout/Boy Scout/neighbor kid knocking on the door. 

I've read some of these kids are bused around by adults that take advantage of them and house and abuse them in horrible conditions.  I'm not saying all of them are but I'm sure there are some around, even near us.

irvinehomeowner said:
So these kids aren't legit?

The discounts don't work?

Bought 2 in the last few months, one from Pop Warner kids (the VIP Card) in front of Albertson's in Quail Hill and another from a Boy Scout in front of Ralph's (had a $5 immediate discount from Ralph's).

Used the VIP Card to get discounted Disneyland tickets that made up for the $20 for the card and then some (and had a better discount than AAA).

The problem is, I keep forgetting to use the discount cards when I go to places they can be used at.

Hmm... I remember some wrestling kid at our door... I don't remember if we bought one of the cards.

We are kind of suckers for kids and their causes because I can imagine our kids having to do that one day.

I should ask the Mrs. if we did buy one from him to see what the discounts were... I think it was like from one place, Lampost Pizza off of Culver/Walnut... I guess it could be some marketing ploy.

I doubt IUSD would even permit their kids to go door to door due to legal issues that might come up.  Santa Ana Unified (and Tustin), maybe.  :p

As you know, when they need money the PTA does the soliciting.

irvinehomeowner said:
Hmm... I remember some wrestling kid at our door... I don't remember if we bought one of the cards.

We are kind of suckers for kids and their causes because I can imagine our kids having to do that one day.

I should ask the Mrs. if we did buy one from him to see what the discounts were... I think it was like from one place, Lampost Pizza off of Culver/Walnut... I guess it could be some marketing ploy.

I will say...if a kid catches me...I usually will end up buying it, even though I'll likely never use it. But I refuse to buy magazine subscriptions or any of that crap. 

I went to IUSD schools my whole life and I remember doing the magazine sales and trying to get all of the prizes as part of the fundraiser. It never got comfortable cold knocking a neighbors door to see what subscriptions they wanted. The worst was when it was in my neighborhood and some old guy would come by complaining about why he hasn't gotten his subscription yet and pissed at me. Get pissed at the crappy fundraising company the school selected that it takes like 4 months turnaround time till you start getting your subscription to home and gardening. 

irvinehusky said:
I doubt IUSD would even permit their kids to go door to door due to legal issues that might come up.  Santa Ana Unified (and Tustin), maybe.  :p

As you know, when they need money the PTA does the soliciting.

irvinehomeowner said:

I don't think they tell the kids to sell candy door to door. (Just think of the liability.) #peoplearecrazy

Kids are getting better and better.  One time a sweet little girl, who must have been five years old approached me to sell me some Girl Scout cookies.  I didn't have cash, so I said I would love some mint cookies, but don't have any cash on me, so she replied back by saying that they take checks, credit card on her mommy's cell phone, or I can paypal it to her mom with my phone.

My jaw dropped!  I went to a nearby ATM got cash and bought couple boxes from her.  :-[

rnirvine said:
Kids are getting better and better.  One time a sweet little girl, who must have been five years old approached me to sell me some Girl Scout cookies.  I didn't have cash, so I said I would love some mint cookies, but don't have any cash on me, so she replied back by saying that they take checks, credit card on her mommy's cell phone, or I can paypal it to her mom with my phone.

My jaw dropped!  I went to a nearby ATM got cash and bought couple boxes from her.  :-[

Sucker  ;D

Back