Help tracing a water leak

IrvineBS

I recently got a surprise water bill of over $300!

So I called IRWD and they had someone come out to re-check the meter. I used 10 CCF last month and a week into my new bill I'm already at 6 CCF!

This is impossible as we don't have sprinklers and only use water for clothes and dishwashers and to bathe.

I'm suspecting a leak? Anyone have any advice on where to start to hunt for any leaks or recommendations on who to call?

Thanks!

Call a plumber ASAP.

Once you get it fixed, IRWD will discount your water bill by about half.  You will just need to show them proof that you had a leak fixed.

If you don't notice the leak, it's probably under your slab.  The plumber will be able to detect it.  have you tried putting your ears next to the plumbing in your walls?  Do you hear constant water running?

3500 gallons in 1 week over what you normally use (if billed every 2 months), and you don't see any signs?  That's 1 gallon every ~3 minutes).  How did the check the meter to make sure it's accurate? 

Consider picking up a cheap automotive stethoscope to listen to the slab.  If it was in your walls you would have known on day 1.  Also walk around and look for overly muddy/wet areas outside between the street and the structure.

And keep an eye out for a neighbor's landscaper that might be watering your neighbor's yard with your water (happened to us in our last house...... our hose was just "so convenient" for him to use).

Ready2Downsize said:
And keep an eye out for a neighbor's landscaper that might be watering your neighbor's yard with your water (happened to us in our last house...... our hose was just "so convenient" for him to use).

OmG! No way.

Older homes pre 1996 the copper plumbing beneath the slab may already have sleeves to avoid friction against the slab when the copper pipes expand and contract constantly during temperature change. The problem is when the pipes elbow out of the slab and upward into the walls the elbows rarely were sleeved. This is where the movement occurred severely. The constant movement or rubbing between rough concrete and thin copper pipe lining easily could cause a hole. This is where you should start looking. You can feel the heat around the area where it's leaking through the slab. The biggest worry is where is all these water going and exiting. If you live on a property where there is a downslope adjacent to your property the water is exiting through the fissure. This is not so bad vs where the water had no where to go causing an extreme saturated earth beneath your house. Saturated earth causes the adobe nature of Foothill ranch soil to expand creating uplifting forces. The slab is not postensioned prior to 1998 so check for eneven floor. Leak like this on flat land could cause a sink hole by draining away silty and calcite earth beneath the foundation and rarely occurred to properties on higher elevation. If there is a split fissure where the water is exiting it could cause settlement to your foundation. Good luck and I hope it's nothing serious.

Back