HELP please. European family in OC for a year. Where to live?

TheGlitts

Hi,

and thank you for reading my post. We are a family relocating from Norway to OC for a year, 4 children from 4 to 16. We will visit OC for a few days this weekend, hoping to find a house. Therefore getting good advice is somehow urgent...

The main reason for this 1 year adventure is for the kids to attend US schools and be fluent in English. OC was chosen because of climate, proximity to international airport, safety and good schools.

Our challenge now is to decide on which neighbourhood we should live in. Looking at the safety and school metrics Irvine seemed like a good choice, but I must admit that when I now discovered that there are over 60% asians in the elementary schools I am a bit concerned. The idea is to get an "American Experience", language, culture, (including neighbourhood BBQs etc.) my impression of Americans in general is that they are including, outgoing and social.

I have travelled to more than 50 countries, and a lot in Asia. I have nothing against Asians. But we are looking for an "American Experience" and the stats on Irvine might suggest that we could be missing out on that goal...

So I need some guidance from you guys! And if you are able to be objective on the issue - based on the above, where in OC should we rent a house? (budget is $4-8.000 per month, commute is not an issue as I will be working from home)

Thank you!

:)

JP

It sounds like an American experience is more important than the schools since they will only be here for one year anyway.

I would recommend east side Costa Mesa (east of the 55 freeway), that will give you the more traditional American neighborhood feeling. I would stay away from Irvine if you really want the American experience.

Newport Beach is another good choice. You could also do cities in south Orange County such as lake forest, mission viejo, aliso Viejo, Laguna niguel or Laguna beach.

If I had to rank them it would be as follows:

1 east side Costa Mesa
2 Newport Beach
3 Laguna niguel (Nellie Gail ranch area)
4 laguna beach

Good luck. Not sure if you are already 100% set on Orange County but you should consider Manhattan beach/Redondo beach/hermosa beach, commonly referred to as the "south bay". It's in Los Angeles county but has all the same attributes you listed that attracted you to Orange County

Are you aware that your post has racist undertones? The vast majority of students in Irvine schools were born in the US. Being majority Asian-American doesn't make Irvine unAmerican.

However, you are certainly free to seek whatever experience you want because this is America.  Just be clear that you are not seeking an "American" experience, but a white experience.  In this case, you'd be better off somewhere in flyover country.

For practical advice on staying in OC, a majority white experience can be pretty much only be had in Newport Beach.  Almost every other school in OC will have a very high number of Hispanic students, which sounds like something you don't want.  Even most schools in Laguna have a very high percentage of Hispanic students.

Alternatively, you can try to expand your world view and your kids' by stepping outside of your comfort zone and trying an Irvine or other OC area school. 50% asian means that 50% are NOT asian.  I don't see how going to a school with 90% white kids is somehow a more balanced experience.

I'd recommend considering Aliso Viejo, Mission Viejo, Ladera Ranch, and Rancho Santa Margarita/Las Flores. Several areas there have neighborhood BBQs, good Halloween and Christmas experiences, etc. I haven't noticed that aspect in Irvine to the same extent.

I also haven't noticed that community aspect to the same degree in very expensive or 'older' neighborhoods (in regards to your $4k-$8k price range).

My child goes to elementary school in Irvine and although 50% of students are very "Americanized" Asians born and raised here, the other 50% of kids are from very diverse backgrounds of all ethnicities and cultures. I've never felt like he was attending a "foreign" Asian school.

But I agree with a previous poster. If you are looking for a more "White American" experience (which by the way is more Un-American than it is American given we here are a melting pot of backgrounds and cultures that represents the beauty of our nation) then I'd recommend more south OC like Ladera Ranch, Coto de Caza, Talega (in San Clemente). Newport Coast or Corona Del Mar.

I grew up in the South Bay and this area is very diverse with different backgrounds and cultures which you may not like. In the Southbay the whitest areas are Manhattan Beach and Rancho Palos Verdes.

California is a very diverse place, esp the subsets of Los Angeles County. The "American" experience you maybe seeking will most likely be found in the other states like New England, West Virginia, Iowa, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, Kentucky and North Dakota (which have been named some of the "whitest" states in the country.) Good luck in your search for the American experience. Not sure you'll find it in OC though.

Cmon guys - if JP wanted an Asian experience he would go to China for a year. If his interpretation of the American cultural experience skews a little white so be it. The fact that he is giving his kids this experience is pretty awesome

Something is wrong here when qwerty is the voice of reason.
OP- given your budget, I would def go coastal. CDM would be my top choice in OC.

qwerty said:
Cmon guys - if JP wanted an Asian experience he would go to China for a year. If his interpretation of the American cultural experience skews a little white so be it. The fact that he is giving his kids this experience is pretty awesome

100% agree

There is also the safety and education metric the OP is concerned about.

Not sure of those things in CDM or the coastal schools.

The OP not looking for an "authentic" American experience, but rather a stereotypical one.  I presume that when he returns home, he wants to tell his friends he lived next door to a Real Housewife.  He ran on the beach everyday like David Hasselhoff on Baywatch.  And his kids partied with the likes of MTV Laguna Beach.

I don't blame him.  If I moved to Norway for a year, I'd be pretty disillusioned if half my neighbors were Arab migrants.  I'd want to live in a log cabin on a fjord, bathe in Neutrogena, and eat salmon everyday on Wasa crispbread.  I'd telemark to work, party with Nobel laureates, and my kids would be dating Norwegian supermodels.

JP said, ""American Experience", language, culture, (including neighbourhood BBQs etc.) my impression of Americans in general is that they are including, outgoing and social"

He's from Norway, a relative smaller and more homogenous society. (closest to Norway I've been to was Finland and it was much more homogeneous in many way than even just California so...)  May be he doesn't see that America is the United many States and "American" experience can be drastically different from CA to Montana, to New Mexico to Alabama to Michigan to Massachusetts to Alaska to Hawaii...

I've been some neighborhood party and BBQs going on even in Irvine (older neighborhood) and the participants were mostly non-(FOB) Asians or English speaking assimilated Asians...  Most outdoor sport events I've been to and participated were vastly Caucasians and again, a smaller # of English speaking and possibly born-in-America Asians.

I agree with those who pointed to south coastal OC for "non-Asian American" experience... but more outdoor and social experience, may be deep south or Texas might have been a better choice??? Is Newport Coast or Laguna Beach that friendly and social?  My experience has not been that but I've never actually lived there...

I'm not putting JP down.  He or she is a foreigner trying best for his/her family.  I think it's interesting though that no matter where you are from, an impression of a country or a certain group of people can be grossly exaggerated or simplified.  It could be a good learning opportunity for JP.  Good luck.

Based on my recent stay at Turtle Rock/Turtle Ridge, it looks like most of the population here is White.  Although you see many Asian students walking around at UC Irvine, most of the residents here are old timer "White Americans".

I recommend you look around Turtle Rock/Turtle Ridge area if you prefer Irvine.  I also think folks at West Irvine and Tustin Ranch are predominately white with good schools.  You want to be zoned to Peter Canyon's elementary, Pioneer Middle School, Beckman High School.  Orchard Hills or Northpark could work as well (Leport OH Preschool, Hickman Elementary, Orchard Hills Middle, Beckman HS are all close).  Also, K-8 in Beacon Park that is opening this fall might also work.  Kids can just walk there.  But, I think there will be many Asians at BP as it's a new development.

You have 4 children, so droping off and picking up will take a lot of time.  It will be preferable for schools to be close.  Even better if they can walk to schools.  I don't recommend South OC as you will be driving alot and spending most of your day just driving kids to places.  This is not good especially if you are a foreigner and not familiar with the area.

According to the census bureau, as of 2014, the U.S. is: 62% white, 17% hispanic, and 13% black, plus a combo of small percentages of various others rounding out the hundred percent. If you want an experience reflecting that, you will certainly have no problem finding the hispanics, however, nowhere in O.C. can offer you that many blacks. Talk to Panda about moving down south. Or you could stay in SoCal by slashing the budget, lowering expectations for the schools, and safety, and moving closer to south-central Los Angeles if that's what you really want. (I don't really think that's what you want. I agree with WTTCHMN.)

I would recommend Ladera Ranch.  Very family friendly and social with neighborhood events and BBQ's. Tons of families with young kids.  Schools are still very highly rated, but not at the level or Irvine.

Biggest drawback to Ladera is usually the commute to Irvine is 35 to 40 minutes, but if you're working from home, that is not an issue.

Once employment location is settled, draw a 30 minute one way commute line around that work center and pick. (SoCal is correct. OP is going to work from home... my miss...)

Assuming Irvine/Newport/Santa Ana, I'd say Old Towne Orange, but that's just how I roll.

My .02c

SGIP

TheGlitts said:
Our challenge now is to decide on which neighborhood we should live in. Looking at the safety and school metrics Irvine seemed like a good choice, but I must admit that when I now discovered that there are over 60% Asians in the elementary schools I am a bit concerned. The idea is to get an "American Experience", language, culture, (including neighborhood BBQs etc.) my impression of Americans in general is that they are including, outgoing and social.

Californians in general are not very inclusive, outgoing, and social when compared to folks in Southern States or East Netherlands (Almelo).  We are more cliquish and superficial, partly due to the diverse demographics.  But diversity in demographics and geography is a bonus for those who seek it in California.  Authentic ethnic cuisine can be found from around the world here, and Mexico is just below San Diego.  You can go from dry desert terrain (Palm Springs) to playing in the snow from 10-15 min tram ride -- I was there last weekend and it was snowing (not that it would interest someone from Norway eh).

If you're specifically looking for a more Caucasian experience, it's not difficult to look up local demographics (city and school) on wikipedia.  Consider other parts of California, such as San Luis Obispo in central CA, and areas from Saint Helena to Cloverdale/Healdsburg in Northern CA.  For Irvine area, consider Laguna Beach.

Generally, neighbors in cul-de sac's are friendlier and more likely to attend your backyard BBQ's.  But you still need to take the first step in meeting the neighbors.

that's my recommendation too. go with south county cities.

zovall said:
I'd recommend considering Aliso Viejo, Mission Viejo, Ladera Ranch, and Rancho Santa Margarita/Las Flores. Several areas there have neighborhood BBQs, good Halloween and Christmas experiences, etc. I haven't noticed that aspect in Irvine to the same extent.

I would suggest Laguna Niguel.  We lived there for a year and had a great time.  We could bike to the beach.  Weather was temperate-- not as cold in the winter and not as hot in the summer. 

Back