Help deciding our new home in Irvine

bones said:
GH said:
I think if you plan to live in the house for 15+ years, I guess resale value should be the least of your worry (very hard to predict resale 5 years out, much more 15 years out).

I agree with OpenSky, if you are open to living in Portola Spring, definitely check out Sage II.  IMO, their layout is way much better and more efficient than Colibri and Parkview (haven't been to Saratoga, so can't compare).  Only negative I think is it doesn't have a driveway.

Yes and no.  Life happens and sometimes our plans aren't as fixed as we thought they would be.  I always buy real estate with an eye towards future resale.

I agree to some extent, but my point is personally if I plan to live on a certain home for a long time, I would give more consideration to other factors like plan layout, affordability, neighborhood fit with potential resale value at the lower bottom of  the list.  Afterall,  nobody can accurately predict which neighborhood would have better resale value in 5 years, much more 15 years down the road.  All the resale talk are short-term market perception and can easily change in the medium to long term especially for newer communities.

bones said:
OpenSky said:
qwerty said:
its all about tustin ranch south.

Don't you guys have a garbage dump down that way too ?  ???

Shouldn't qwerty be working on your wood tile floors insteading of TI-ing?  >:D

im moving on up bones - im the supervisor of the guys who do the flooring. besides, my specialty is in the gardening area.

Sam78 said:
thoughts? we are as confused as mud.

Thanks,

My advice is if people who don't even have school-aged children in the school system/s are giving you advice on schools, take it with a grain of salt. That would be like Iho giving you dieting advice. Also, if more well-rounded advice on housing is what you crave, I would suggest visiting the City Data forums or Redfin forums.

SoCal said:
Sam78 said:
thoughts? we are as confused as mud.

Thanks,

My advice is if people who don't even have school-aged children in the school system/s are giving you advice on schools, take it with a grain of salt. That would be like Iho giving you dieting advice. Also, if more well-rounded advice on housing is what you crave, I would suggest visiting the City Data forums or Redfin forums.

OoOoo BURN!!

OpenSky said:
qwerty said:
OpenSky said:
qwerty said:
its all about tustin ranch south.

Don't you guys have a garbage dump down that way too ?  ???

tustin ranch south AKA tustin legacy doesnt have a landfill that im aware of, only toxic land.

Theres a distinctive stench near Barranca and Jamboree... When I had a convertible I would close it around Von Karman in anticipation of it.  Is that a processing facility for WM?

oh yeah your talking about the WM facility off of jamboree/warner.  ive never smelled anything there, but always have my windows up with the AC on.

bones said:
GH said:
bones said:
GH said:
I think if you plan to live in the house for 15+ years, I guess resale value should be the least of your worry (very hard to predict resale 5 years out, much more 15 years out).

I agree with OpenSky, if you are open to living in Portola Spring, definitely check out Sage II.  IMO, their layout is way much better and more efficient than Colibri and Parkview (haven't been to Saratoga, so can't compare).  Only negative I think is it doesn't have a driveway.

Yes and no.  Life happens and sometimes our plans aren't as fixed as we thought they would be.  I always buy real estate with an eye towards future resale.

I agree to some extent, but my point is personally if I plan to live on a certain home for a long time, I would give more consideration to other factors like plan layout, affordability, neighborhood fit with potential resale value at the lower bottom of  the list.  Afterall,  nobody can accurately predict which neighborhood would have better resale value in 5 years, much more 15 years down the road.  All the resale talk are short-term market perception and can easily change in the medium to long term especially for newer communities.

I think we're talking the same thing.  The points you highlighted above all help with resale.

partly true.  But what I'm trying to point out is if say the Baker Ranch Parkview is the best fit for Sam's family in terms of location/layout/community makeup etc, then he shouldn't worry about the general opinion that it has poor resale prospect down the road.  I also agree that the BR homes would have resale challenge compared to Irvine short term, but who knows in the long term ..

SoCal said:
That would be like Iho giving you dieting advice.
Do what I say, not what I do.

I know how to diet I just... uh... consciously dissent.

Even in a city that has a good school district overall, each school, each class, each teacher can be different. That's why private schools still exist even when there are good public schools all around.

If you are really concerned about your kids' education, you can always find a way to provide a good one for them no matter where you live.

bones said:
GH said:
I also agree that the BR homes would have resale challenge compared to Irvine short term, but who knows in the long term ..

The gentrification of Lake Forest?

I believe that you brought this up before, LF and Foothill Ranch is largely built out so the population is pretty much set. 

bones must be related to frank69m.

Just kidding... yes... you can smell that, even taking Warner to the District or if you take your car to get serviced... or drop off hazardous waste, but I think Columbus Square/Grove closer to Warner gets the brunt of it.

Back