Harvard student arrested for bomb hoax to avoid final exam

Vinster

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...taking-exam-20-year-old-student-Eldo-Kim.html

I thought this was interesting in regard to the thread about getting into Harvard.

The student is Eldo Kim who graduated from Kamiak High School in Mukilteo, Washington. At first, I thought, this was some hicktown in Washington but it turns out it's a wealthy suburb of Seattle and Kamiak High rates a 10 on Greatschools.org.

Also, Mukilteo was #9 on Money's top 100 small towns in 2011. Supposedly, Kamiak High, which opened in 1993, cost $50-60 million to build and was one of the most expensive public high schools ever built at that time.

I bet that high school also have 9 acceptances to Columbia too!

Vinster said:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...taking-exam-20-year-old-student-Eldo-Kim.html

I thought this was interesting in regard to the thread about getting into Harvard.

The student is Eldo Kim who graduated from Kamiak High School in Mukilteo, Washington. At first, I thought, this was some hicktown in Washington but it turns out it's a wealthy suburb of Seattle and Kamiak High rates a 10 on Greatschools.org.

Also, Mukilteo was #9 on Money's top 100 small towns in 2011. Supposedly, Kamiak High, which opened in 1993, cost $50-60 million to build and was one of the most expensive public high schools ever built at that time.

Sad story.  I feel for his parents.  From Harvard to probably Jail U.

When we were living in WA state, we lived in Mukilteo.  It's about 30 minutes north of downtown Seattle.  It is a "suburb" but a very nice area (some, not so nice). Lots of Boeing engineers as neighbors. If you want your Costcos, 99 Ranches, etc. right nearby, it would not be for you.

Our kids would have gone to Kamiak High.  It's a very good school with a good Elementary and Middle school nearby.  Of course not as highly rated as the Bellevue schools which are way up there in the US school rankings.  But Bellevue has very expensive real estate.  Sounds familiar?

irvinehomeshopper said:
The most dangerous colleges in the US based on FBI data. UC Berkeley at #2 and UCLA at #1.

Take note, safety obsessive parents! I hope that I did not spoil your day.

let the record show that USC was not on the list. they always used to make it known when i was there UCLA had more crime than USC. 

irvinehomeshopper said:
Harvard is among the top 10 most dangerous colleges. Why would those safety obsessive Irvine parents want to send their kids to the most dangerous colleges?
Maybe because they are like me, more concerned about safety than Harvard (or any Ivy).

Harvard, Yale and MIT have the most crime in America. Much of the ills were attributed by the students themselves. Parents, raise your kids right. Besides good grades teach them about moral and ethics.

@irvine husky. Let me teach you a thing about environmental psychology. One of the best tool to hide crime is a tree lined street with parkway, median and sidewalk with brick texture. Order, rhythm and consistency of surrounding in addition to lush landscaping give people a false sense of safety. The surrounding around UCLA is lush and green and most importantly white folks driving Mercedes while USC has exactly the opposite. Graffiti walls, lack of uniformity, dead weeds, and blacks driving pimped cars. USC is much safer than UCLA. From a image stand point UCLA has a much better packaging. Packaging is deceiving!

Another example is take Disneyland for example. In the last 10 years the area around Disneyland received a make over. Multiple layers of Palm trees, lush medians, texture sidewalks, themed bus shelters, and a consistent signage kiosks along both Harbor and Katella. Tourists felt safe and pedestrian activities along both streets increased over the years. However, prostitutes, drug dealers, and thieves blend right in and no longer a noticeable eye sore to the community. Did crimes go away? a overwhelmingly NO. Visually the streets feel much safer.

What about my avatar? No one likes to bowl?

Also, Berkeley is #2 on the list and it's pretty ghetto...hippy criminals...who woulda thought.

irvinehomeshopper said:
@ qwerty The most dangerous colleges in America for women.

Here is the metaphor UCLA=Irvine and USC=Tustin. UCLA knows how to manipulate the statistics.

yep, back then they used to tell us UCLA had alot more rapes than SC due to how large the UCLA campus is, more areas with less people. USC has about 40K students (grad and undergrad) on about 226 acres. UCLA has what 42K students on 419 acres.

Many living in Irvine are used to a crime less environment I don't know if they can adapt to a setting of criminal activities. That is why Asians are the easy preys for criminals? Thieves love Asian tourists!

Irvine kids have never been on the bus so this is a lousy example. The only dangers Irvine kids need to learn is to never to give their future pregnant wife the keys to the trunk of a car, avoid 5th level of parking garages, bridges of wrapped products and upper levels of Marriott. Mysterious spirits are known enters the body at these places.

Tyler Durden said:
Unless your kid grows up in a bubble, they should be able to ascertain when and where they do not fit in.  Similarly, who not to talk trash to and when to make themselves scarce.

For folks like myself or qwerty have been in rougher neighborhoods, it is not a big deal.  But for folks whose most dangerous excursion is black friday at walmart, they might be overwhelmed.

Helicopter parents might actually realize what a disservice they did for their kids by sheltering them their whole lives, when they can't figure out why their iPhone was stolen on the bus.

Bottom line is - part of being an adult is taking responsibility for your own safety.  These places are not syria or afghanistan where you randomly die due to everyday violence.

Tyler Durden said:
How are their kids going to be able to handle commutes on the NYC subway, DC metro, SEPTA, Boston T, Chicago L or MUNI or BART, let alone the London underground? Because guess what - you have to sit next to whoever sits down in your seat.
Heh... my kids have been on all of those except DC Metro (maybe next year), SEPTA (not sure if we'll ever visit PA, and the London underground (we've been on it BK, before kids).

Not my kids. They ALL wanted to be OUTSIDE of OC for college and when they were done, not one lives in the OC.

Now they would all like to move to Irvine, but alas, they've been priced out since their areas didn't appreciate like Irvine has.

They ALL are now sorry they ever moved out........... boring and all.

Back