Haning picture/paint without nails?

Roger

Does anyone have any recommendations for hanging picture/paint without using nails?  We tried the 3M command but doesn't work well because our wall is textured. 

irvinehomeowner said:
Is there a reason you don't want to put a small nail sized hole in the wall?

To cover those back up is really easy.
Haha no particular reason...  just would prefer not putting any hole in the wall... I know I know I am being anal  ;D

Just put up a picture over the mantel yesterday, ended up with some 'extra' holes due to my laser level thing broke.  Just use some spackle to cover it up.  Didn't even bother sanding/painting as the picture will cover up the area :)

irvinehomeowner said:
@Roger:

I think you're the only one who can see those nail holes.
Yep...  although I found that we bought the wrong kind of 3M command product... should have bought the strip instead of hook type.. got to give it another try one more time...  :-\

Put up a picture yesterday using a 3m anchor.  30 minutes later, I hear a crash.  It fell off the wall.  frame busted.  The frame was not too big, maybe 24x18. 

anyways...  The anchor was actually still stuck to the wall, but the hook on the anchor broke off.  lesson learned.

I can proudly say, as a 10+ year home owner that has nailed a lot of walls, no picture/frame/mirror/curtain/rod/fan has ever fallen from its position. 

Don't use those 3M picture or wall hangers - they will all eventually fail.  Just what you need is to be abruptly woken up at 3am to the sound of broken glass and your wife freaking out because she's sure home invasion burglars have just entered via your kitchen window.

Trust Me :)

So based on people's reply the 3M product is a no go...  I guess I will have to live up with nail holes  :)  Thanks for the heads up though everyone!

I'm a fan of 3M. I follow the rules on the packaging and also a few I've learned on my own.

Do's:

- Make sure the wall is relatively clean and dust-free. (I don't follow the package instructions about wiping it with alcohol and a cotton ball. Ain't nobody got time for that.)

- Observe the weight limit on the adhesive and hook you are using. It's easy to make a mistake. It will be printed right on the front, usually in an upper corner.

- Wait the indicated amount of time before hanging up your item!!! This is important. Be patient!

Don't:

- Place where wall vents direct A.C. / heat. I learned this on my own. The temperature changes can cause it to not hold.

- Hang something with glass... just in case. Technically, you can. But I don't.

- Hang on roughly textured walls. You probably won't have to worry about this one because it probably won't even stick long enough for you to wonder if it will hold.

.... I use 3M mainly for lightweight unframed canvas pictures, seasonal decor, and items which I know I'll be moving around a lot such as my kid's room to keep everything up to date. In all the time I've used 3M, I've rarely had an item fall. The main one I remember was a Christmas wreath above my mantle, doing Olympic flips and bounces as it tumbled down and it did it again and again until I identified the problem. And yeah, it's terrifying when it happens in the middle of the night. The wreath took everything with it, like a glass snow-globe. I did the 3:00 a.m., trembling, crying "Oh my God, we have an intruder downstairs" thing, too.  :)

SoCal said:
I'm a fan of 3M. I follow the rules on the packaging and also a few I've learned on my own.

Do's:

- Make sure the wall is relatively clean and dust-free. (I don't follow the package instructions about wiping it with alcohol and a cotton ball. Ain't nobody got time for that.)

- Observe the weight limit on the adhesive and hook you are using. It's easy to make a mistake. It will be printed right on the front, usually in an upper corner.

- Wait the indicated amount of time before hanging up your item!!! This is important. Be patient!

Don't:

- Place where wall vents direct A.C. / heat. I learned this on my own. The temperature changes can cause it to not hold.

- Hang something with glass... just in case. Technically, you can. But I don't.

- Hang on roughly textured walls. You probably won't have to worry about this one because it probably won't even stick long enough for you to wonder if it will hold.

.... I use 3M mainly for lightweight unframed canvas pictures, seasonal decor, and items which I know I'll be moving around a lot such as my kid's room to keep everything up to date. In all the time I've used 3M, I've rarely had an item fall. The main one I remember was a Christmas wreath above my mantle, doing Olympic flips and bounces as it tumbled down and it did it again and again until I identified the problem. And yeah, it's terrifying when it happens in the middle of the night. The wreath took everything with it, like a glass snow-globe. I did the 3:00 a.m., trembling, crying "Oh my God, we have an intruder downstairs" thing, too.  :)
We plan to try the 3M picture hanging strip another time as mentioned that the previous one with hook is the wrong kind because we have texture surface.  And the direction under the strip didn't specifically mentioned not to use on a texture surface while the one we got earlier did.  The picture we plan to hang is very light without frame.

Back