Guards at the Grove

lovingit

So my friend just moved into Altair and they have guards manning their gates.  Altair is managed by Sea Breeze.  We have been at the Groves  for over three years now and we still don?t have guards at the gate. The Grove is managed by Keystone Pacific. Is there anyway to file a complaint and change the current HOA?  Is this the HOA?s fault?

lovingit said:
So my friend just moved into Altair and they have guards manning their gates.  Altair is managed by Sea Breeze.  We have been at the Groves  for over three years now and we still don?t have guards at the gate. The Grove is managed by Keystone Pacific. Is there anyway to file a complaint and change the current HOA?  Is this the HOA?s fault?

Get ready for the HOA increase...

Seems like Irvine Company never intended for there to be a guard at the gate to the Groves until the community got beyond a certain percentage built.  That was the comment from Capella salesperson when we initially visited.  However, the conversation led me to believe that a guard would be in place within a year.  3 years is ridiculous and would leave me to wonder if sales are much slower than initially projected? 

Considering Irvine Company usually does things in a first class manner, the lack of a guard for what has always been sold as a guard-gated community is quite puzzling.  I would be very upset about the lack of a guard and my friends that live there are as well.  I think all the homeowners in the Groves should sign a petition to insist that a guard be hired asap.

Yup, I attended one of the HOA meeting and the whole attitude of the Board was very puzzling.  My impression from that meeting was the primary obstacle for the guard was the Irvine Company rep on Board. 

The Irvine Company is still paying a portion of the maintenance costs, but I can't imagine that cost would be the only obstacle to the hiring of a guard.  The IC's portion of the guard cost would be immaterial to their overall costs to develop and market the community.

Around 2012, I was part of a focus group for the Orchard Hills development that was asked about wants/needs/desires as it related to Orchard Hills.  Larger lot size and guard at the gate were common to the group's list of wants.  Despite paying to find out what interested parties wanted, IC seems to have ignored the results of the focus group.  I had a strong interest in buying at Orchard Hills but bought in Portola instead as I got essentially the same Capella floorplan on a 2,000sf larger lot for $200K less.  For some people, lot size does matter.

Irvine Turtle said:
Yup, I attended one of the HOA meeting and the whole attitude of the Board was very puzzling.  My impression from that meeting was the primary obstacle for the guard was the Irvine Company rep on Board.

They have over $1m in reserves.  Costs can?t be the reason only.

irvine buyer said:
Seems like Irvine Company never intended for there to be a guard at the gate to the Groves until the community got beyond a certain percentage built.  That was the comment from Capella salesperson when we initially visited.  However, the conversation led me to believe that a guard would be in place within a year.  3 years is ridiculous and would leave me to wonder if sales are much slower than initially projected? 

Considering Irvine Company usually does things in a first class manner, the lack of a guard for what has always been sold as a guard-gated community is quite puzzling.  I would be very upset about the lack of a guard and my friends that live there are as well.  I think all the homeowners in the Groves should sign a petition to insist that a guard be hired asap.

Someone (Paris maybe?) said quite some time ago there wouldn't be a guard until x% was built out in the entire OH area covered by the gates.

Ready2Downsize said:
irvine buyer said:

Someone (Paris maybe?) said quite some time ago there wouldn't be a guard until x% was built out in the entire OH area covered by the gates.

I believe that number was 75% but this was when we first moved into the groves back in 2014. I don't know if that number still stands or they changed it. Haven't been able to make it to a board meeting - anyone that has attended, did they give a specific guideline as to when the gate will be manned?

HOA recently updated the guard houses.  Groves probably already hit >75% build-out.  I wonder if they are preparing to place the guards soon (<2 years?)
btw, does anyone know how much HOA usually increases if the Guards are in place?  What was the HOA increase at Turtle Ridge and how long did it take them to put the guards in place after the community started building?

just running random numbers wise,

there are probably about 525-550 HOA paying homes in the groves right now.  (la vita 70, messina 90-100, saviero 90, vicenza 90, capella 72, amelia 70, trevi ?40, varenna 15-20?)

at $279/home, that is ~150K/mo in dues, or 1.8M/yr. 

guard makes what...$17/hr?  (no idea).  $17/hr*24hrs*2 gates*365 days =  ~300K/yr.

that would equate to about $45/mo in dues per home, per year, assuming that the #of homes stays the same (not true) and that there is absolutely no surplus each year (also not true.)

honestly they could probably afford it without too much difficulty.

also, i don't think we are at 75% buildout.  alta vista, bella vista, padova, lucca, and varenna are nowhere near buildout.  also there is a large swatth of land NE of trevi/amelia that is still unplanned.  so there could be a ways to go still.

Back