Gov. Brown visits Irvine, says ?absolutely certain? OC will get vet cemetery

eyephone said:
fortune11 said:
eyephone said:
jmoney74 said:
eyephone said:
i1 said:
iacrenter said:
I'm okay with the land swap but Irvine shouldn't be funding the cemetery.
+1
$40M works out to ~$500 per homeowner. Would rather see that used elsewhere

Wasn't there a bond last election, because the school district needed money. Where did $40 mil come from?

250M for great park fund

"I hate the way our government spends our taxes."

Trump

Source:http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article...le-possible-because-i-hate-way-our-government

Yeah why not --  he and his family just love mooching off other taxpayers to line their own pockets.  Personally I would rather see our tax money go towards a vet cemetery for our fallen heroes than paying $1m per day  to keep Melanie separate from this dumb-ass-in-chief or to fund jared kushner's  fundraising trips to meet Chinese FCBs offering them investors visas.

Tend to agree w Compressed Village , I think years from now people will be glad to have this vet cemetery.  The UCLA example is very valid.  Properly done, it will add a unique visual dimension and add visual diversity to the area.  Things like sports complex etc will help as well.

1. The president and family gets secret service protection.
2. Why was there a school bond last year? When the city just donated $40 million.
3. Get real this area is not like UCLA. There is not a VA hospital. Are comparing UCI with UCLA?
4. Why do certain people get free cell phone service in California? (great use of tax payers money?)

it is more like the country is spending a lot of $$ to baby sit the petulant man child in the Oval Office ... hey as long as we can get our tax cuts ... why not . 

The bigger issue is corporate welfare / public union benefits drain / gerontocracy -- senior entitlement , things which sap money that could be going towards other productive uses like infrastructure . 

The point of comparison w UCLA is that you can have a veterans cemetery and not have it affect property values since there are other more important factors driving it.  Do you think a row of cookie cutter tract homes in a random irvine neighborhood will lose their value just because there is a green space nearby that is in fact preventing construction of other cookie cutter homes ?  It is incredible degree of narrowcasting to suit personal preference of a certain buyer base. 

fortune11 said:
eyephone said:
fortune11 said:
eyephone said:
jmoney74 said:
eyephone said:
i1 said:
iacrenter said:
I'm okay with the land swap but Irvine shouldn't be funding the cemetery.
+1
$40M works out to ~$500 per homeowner. Would rather see that used elsewhere

Wasn't there a bond last election, because the school district needed money. Where did $40 mil come from?

250M for great park fund

"I hate the way our government spends our taxes."

Trump

Source:http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article...le-possible-because-i-hate-way-our-government

Yeah why not --  he and his family just love mooching off other taxpayers to line their own pockets.  Personally I would rather see our tax money go towards a vet cemetery for our fallen heroes than paying $1m per day  to keep Melanie separate from this dumb-ass-in-chief or to fund jared kushner's  fundraising trips to meet Chinese FCBs offering them investors visas.

Tend to agree w Compressed Village , I think years from now people will be glad to have this vet cemetery.  The UCLA example is very valid.  Properly done, it will add a unique visual dimension and add visual diversity to the area.  Things like sports complex etc will help as well.

1. The president and family gets secret service protection.
2. Why was there a school bond last year? When the city just donated $40 million.
3. Get real this area is not like UCLA. There is not a VA hospital. Are comparing UCI with UCLA?
4. Why do certain people get free cell phone service in California? (great use of tax payers money?)

it is more like the country is spending a lot of $$ to baby sit the petulant man child in the Oval Office ... hey as long as we can get our tax cuts ... why not . 

The bigger issue is corporate welfare / public union benefits drain / gerontocracy -- senior entitlement , things which sap money that could be going towards other productive uses like infrastructure . 

The point of comparison w UCLA is that you can have a veterans cemetery and not have it affect property values since there are other more important factors driving it.  Do you think a row of cookie cutter tract homes in a random irvine neighborhood will lose their value just because there is a green space nearby that is in fact preventing construction of other cookie cutter homes ?  It is incredible degree of narrowcasting to suit personal preference of a certain buyer base.

Again you didn't address why did the city of Irvine issue a bond for the schools. (Need money to fix the schools) But they are writing a check for $40 mil for the cemetery.

Your argument regarding Trump doesn't make sense. So what's the solution don't protect the president? 

There is no reason for you to bring up UCLA to support your argument because it doesn't make sense.

Again, people and business are fed up with State of California that's why they are leaving.

Maybe we shouldn't work or barely work so we could qualify for the following: free unlimited cellphone plan service with data, free food (ebt card), $12k towards a purchase of an electric car plus $2,000 for a charging unit, free no charge to use zip cars in Sacramento public housing, subsidized housing
http://www.greencarreports.com/news...ps-low-income-drivers-switch-to-electric-cars

Then add the California gas tax passed by the California legislature, for the icing on the cake.

CA is not a model by any means on managing tax money effectively , no one is saying that but there are trade offs .  There are other " red states " in the south that keep cutting taxes and going nearly bankrupt (Oklahoma, Arkansas) as they don't have much by way of human talent and resources.  And have institutionalized bigotry and poor air and water quality to boot.  And look up federal revenue data - the biggest moochers of federal tax dollars are governments and people in those red states (except Texas) . CA gives a lot more in revenue than it gets back.

Extremes are bad.  Given a choice I would rather partake in the opportunities CA's nanny state taxing regime gives me even if it means , giving more in tax money some of which I know will go to waste.  Maybe it is the price you pay.  If you live in Manhattan it is even worse taxwise, but Wall Street is not packing up and moving to low tax Florida any day soon. Doesn't mean one cannot always continue to agitate for reform wherever possible.

As to Trump, he can certainly help us out by 1) stop having taxpayers subsidize a 3 state lifestyle 2) stop paying his own properties from federal tax dollars 3) stop grafting for the trump businesses using the office as a tool . 

I remember when the right wingers on talk radio and fox would not stop foaming at the mouth when Michelle Obama took one vacation in Spain with her family.  But are perfectly happy enabling Trump's daily douchbaggery.  Tribalism at its finest. 

In a way Trump is the best thing to have happened in terms of exposing the hypocrisy and double standards of his enablers. This country needed to be jolted from its complacency and lack of civic engagement .

Our Gang said:
3. Get real this area is not like UCLA. There is not a VA hospital. Are you comparing UCI with UCLA?

Irvine VA Hospital - next item on the list.

LOL!

Stop stirring the pot. VA Hospital in Irvine ain't happening. VA hospitals require a good amount of land which is way too expensive here and the feds aren't about to cough up the dough.

Irvine is not Westwood. The high home price tag is because of the Chinese. Chinese are the real suckers for high benchmark price point. Chinese were the first to accept the tiny yards. Chinese were the first one to accept the 2CWG, The Chinese were the one to accept the no driveway. The Chinese were the first one to accept the 3 stories. The Chinese will be the first to abandon the properties next or close to the cemetery. The caucasians will not pay over a $1m to purchase the resales to make it like Westwood resulting from a massive exodus.

Ready2Downsize said:
Our Gang said:
3. Get real this area is not like UCLA. There is not a VA hospital. Are you comparing UCI with UCLA?

Irvine VA Hospital - next item on the list.

LOL!

Stop stirring the pot. VA Hospital in Irvine ain't happening. VA hospitals require a good amount of land which is way too expensive here and the feds aren't about to cough up the dough.

That is what was said about the cemetery.  LOL!  Just watch.

irvinehomeshopper said:
Irvine is not Westwood. The high home price tag is because of the Chinese. Chinese are the real suckers for high benchmark price point. Chinese were the first to accept the tiny yards. Chinese were the first one to accept the 2CWG, The Chinese were the one to accept the no driveway. The Chinese were the first one to accept the 3 stories. The Chinese will be the first to abandon the properties next or close to the cemetery. The caucasians will not pay over a $1m to purchase the resales to make it like Westwood resulting from a massive exodus.

I think even if the non US born Chinese were to exit the market, there will be enough US born Asian demand for Irvine due to its ideal location within the OC business/employment center.  Most of new Irvine homes will trade for $500/sf.  That will be the baseline. 

I find it funny that on years ago on the IHB, people would not accept that FCBs would keep Irvine prices high (yes... I'm calling you out Graphrix) and now today, most people on TI are saying that FCBs are why Irvine prices are so high.

BTW: When I was at Auburn looking at the basement model Chelsea X, I didn't see one FCB. Is the price point too high? Do FCBs buy in Hidden Canyon?

Join the petition to build Cemetery in Great Park on Irvine Blvd by high school and homes.
https://irvinecommunitynewsandviews.org/veteranscemeterypetition/

To the Irvine Community:

We ask the People of Irvine to join us ? to sign our petition calling upon the Irvine City Council to honor our veterans and their families by keeping the sacred promise we made to build the Veterans Memorial Park and Cemetery in the Great Park, as planned.

We, the undersigned, call upon the City Council to follow through on its original plan and promise ? adopted by resolution of the Council in July, 2014; enacted by the State Legislature (AB 1453) in September, 2014; and approved by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs in 2016 ? to build the Southern California Veterans Memorial Park and Cemetery on a dedicated parcel of 125 acres of land in the Great Park.

The City?s generous gift of land to the State of California allows the 125-acre Veterans Memorial Park and Cemetery to be built in our 1,300-acre Great Park for an estimated $77 million (the cost of just one railroad underpass in Irvine). Under State law, our beautiful Veterans Memorial Park and Cemetery would be maintained in perpetuity by the State of California (Section of AB 1453) and the U.S. Veterans Administration. This means there would be no maintenance costs to the City of lrvine, ever.

Reject the ?Land Swap?

We further call upon the Mayor and City Council to reject the so-called ?land swap? proposal being promoted by the FivePoint Communities development company. The land swap would result in the City?s dismembering and shrinking the Great Park by transferring ownership of the 125-acre Great Park Veterans Cemetery site to FivePoint, and granting FivePoint the right to develop the parkland for commercial and industrial uses, and possibly for 2,000 additional housing units. Meanwhile, the Veterans Cemetery would be banished to a site miles away from the Great Park, near the junction of the I-5 and I-405 Freeways, where FivePoint has made vague promises to build some kind of ?private? Veterans Cemetery.

The estimated windfall profit to FivePoint from this land swap scheme is $500,000,000 or more, reflecting unconscionable developer greed and disrespect ? all at the expense of veterans, veterans? families, and all Irvine residents.

This is wrong. It?s just plain wrong.

Do The Right Thing

Let?s do the right thing. Let?s honor American veterans and their families by respecting our local and State law and following through on our promise. Let?s build the Veterans Cemetery in the Great Park, as planned, so that by Veterans Day, 2019, the first of many deserving American veterans and their families can be laid to rest, just as we promised, in the Veterans Memorial Park and Cemetery in the Great Park.

Edward Pope  Angelo Vassos    Larry Agran

Honor the veterans by forcing a location they don't want and can't afford on them? No way! It's classic political double speak.

Back