Gov. Brown visits Irvine, says ?absolutely certain? OC will get vet cemetery

but which location???  I'll bet FivePoints will convince the city council to do the swap. 

It's a no brainer for Gov Brown to support the swap. The residents prefer it overwhelmingly and with Irvine pledging $40M toward the cemetery the state doesn't have to put in a dime to get a cemetery for the vets at the new location. It's simply good politics.

Is there a conflict of interest?

"Brown also reacted to questions about his sister?s ties to the developer.

Kathleen Brown, a former California Treasurer and current partner in the Manatt, Phelps & Phillips law firm, also sits on the board of directors of developer FivePoint.

It?s unknown whether she has played any role in deciding which site becomes the cemetery.

?I didn?t even know that ? you?re telling me. My sister has a lot of working years ahead of her, so (Kathleen) doesn?t come to me for advice,? Brown said. ?What?s the difference? They?re (FivePoint) part of this deal. Now, would you like me to get FivePoint out and then have nothing? So, I think it?s fine.?"
http://voiceofoc.org/2017/05/oc-veterans-cemetery-strawberry-fields-forever/

My comment: Sounds like a "potential"conflict of interest to me. She sits on the board of Five Points. Her brother is the governor of California.

Which housing locations would be most affected at new site?  Almost like they have already stated which site they want.

Doesn't seem like any homes are near there. It's really a win win for all. Although I oppose using Irvine funds to help pay for it.

If this is true, big win for Portola/Great park homes. I would expect prices to go higher in these neighborhoods.

OCLuvr said:
If this is true, big win for Portola/Great park homes. I would expect prices to go higher in these neighborhoods.

If no cemetery prices will go through the roof.

iacrenter said:
I'm okay with the land swap but Irvine shouldn't be funding the cemetery.

Agree.

I wonder if anyone here ever visit or drive by the Los Angeles Veteran cemetery? It is right smack in the middle of Brentwood, UCLA, Westwood and Getty Center. These area command hefty property price tags on the full spectrums of property. I disagree that without the cemetery price guaranteed to go to the roof. The lack of buildable lands in the LA veteran cemetery CAUSES the high prices.

Years from now you will be glad to own in the surrounding area of the Vet cemetery.

Compressed-Village said:
iacrenter said:

Agree.

I wonder if anyone here ever visit or drive by the Los Angeles Veteran cemetery? It is right smack in the middle of Brentwood, UCLA, Westwood and Getty Center. These area command hefty property price tags on the full spectrums of property. I disagree that without the cemetery price guaranteed to go to the roof. The lack of buildable lands in the LA veteran cemetery CAUSES the high prices.

Years from now you will be glad to own in the surrounding area of the Vet cemetery.

The vet cemeteries are generally quite nice. Hope they can build a memorial as well in that alternative location.

i1 said:
iacrenter said:
+1
$40M works out to ~$500 per homeowner. Would rather see that used elsewhere

Wasn't there a bond last election, because the school district needed money. Where did $40 mil come from?

eyephone said:
i1 said:
iacrenter said:
+1

Wasn't there a bond last election, because the school district needed money. Where did $40 mil come from?

250M for great park fund

jmoney74 said:
eyephone said:
i1 said:
iacrenter said:
+1

250M for great park fund

"I hate the way our government spends our taxes."

Trump

Source:http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article...le-possible-because-i-hate-way-our-government

eyephone said:
jmoney74 said:
eyephone said:
i1 said:
iacrenter said:
+1

250M for great park fund

Trump

Source:http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article...le-possible-because-i-hate-way-our-government

Yeah why not --  he and his family just love mooching off other taxpayers to line their own pockets.  Personally I would rather see our tax money go towards a vet cemetery for our fallen heroes than paying $1m per day  to keep Melanie separate from this dumb-ass-in-chief or to fund jared kushner's  fundraising trips to meet Chinese FCBs offering them investors visas.

Tend to agree w Compressed Village , I think years from now people will be glad to have this vet cemetery.  The UCLA example is very valid.  Properly done, it will add a unique visual dimension and add visual diversity to the area.  Things like sports complex etc will help as well. 

fortune11 said:
eyephone said:
jmoney74 said:
eyephone said:
i1 said:
iacrenter said:
+1

250M for great park fund

Trump

Yeah why not --  he and his family just love mooching off other taxpayers to line their own pockets.  Personally I would rather see our tax money go towards a vet cemetery for our fallen heroes than paying $1m per day  to keep Melanie separate from this dumb-ass-in-chief or to fund jared kushner's  fundraising trips to meet Chinese FCBs offering them investors visas.

Tend to agree w Compressed Village , I think years from now people will be glad to have this vet cemetery.  The UCLA example is very valid.  Properly done, it will add a unique visual dimension and add visual diversity to the area.  Things like sports complex etc will help as well.

Agreed. Just didn't like it next to a school and homes. Alternative location is good. Better than more homes.

fortune11 said:
eyephone said:
jmoney74 said:
eyephone said:
i1 said:
iacrenter said:
+1

250M for great park fund

Trump

1. The president and family gets secret service protection.
2. Why was there a school bond last year? When the city just donated $40 million.
3. Get real this area is not like UCLA. There is not a VA hospital. Are you comparing UCI with UCLA?
4. Why do certain people get free cell phone service in California? (great use of tax payers money?)

Back