Golden west shutters vs Orange County Shutters

AW said:
Homer_Simpson said:
What was the price per sqft you guys ended up paying for those shutters?  The best quote I've gotten from a local manufacturer/installer was $12.50.  Everything made at their factory in Ontario and the quality seems great!
Let us know if this vendor is any good. I know it can be had <$20, but $12.50 is indeed cheap!  I know someone in the Ontario area who may be looking at some window shutter options next year

You need to sign up for Homer's site:

www.HomeOfNoHome.com

:)

Just completed all of my upstairs shutters. Having to wait 2 years to do all of the upstairs windows since I am not a 1%ers. I did not go with either of these guys since the price is way high. I got all wood shutters, great price and pretty happy with it.

I'm also in the market for shutters. Are OC Shutters and Golden West Shutters still the go to for shutters? I have little knowledge on shutters. I don't know what to look for and ask for as far as options on shutters and any information/help would be greatly appreciated. I know people in this thread have been quoting price per square foot. Is that just a measurement of how many square feet of window the shutters are covering? How much should I expect to pay on a price per square foot basis? Is there a huge quality difference between brands, wood, etc.?

Since number of windows and size of windows varies widely between homes, the price per s.f. is just a good comparison method when compare price paid among different homes and vendors.

Golden West has their own showroom and factory and all of their shutters are made in their own factory in Lake forest.  Unlike many others, they had showroom and it would be a good idea to visit their showroom.  The sales staff will go over their products and provide some sales pitch/info on quality of their shutters, that might give you an idea what to look for in the shutters.  They are on the slightly more expensive side, it was around $21-$23/s.f. but not sure the latest pricing. 

The cheapest shutter from what I recall is from Express Blinds at around $15/s.f..  A few TI poster are happy with them but this is the product I would only used in a rental property or a in-between home. 

The most expensive one I found are the Hunter Douglas shutters, they are over $30/s.f., totally not worth it.  The Golden West, OC and Norman shutter (from Pacific Windecore) are just as good if not better at 2/3 of the price tag. 

Just want to give you an idea of price range.  More good info here:
http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,3313.msg277609.html#msg277609

pjs4x4 said:
I'm also in the market for shutters. Are OC Shutters and Golden West Shutters still the go to for shutters? I have little knowledge on shutters. I don't know what to look for and ask for as far as options on shutters and any information/help would be greatly appreciated. I know people in this thread have been quoting price per square foot. Is that just a measurement of how many square feet of window the shutters are covering? How much should I expect to pay on a price per square foot basis? Is there a huge quality difference between brands, wood, etc.?

Check out JMRBlind.COM this is where I got my shutters. All wood shutters. High quality and their price beat all of the three mentioned here as I got quotes from all four for comparison. Of course you better do the same so you know exactly what you getting. It does takes alot of works but hey, you gonna have to live with those for as long as you own the house. JMR blinds are lifetime warranty. Can't beat that.

I received my first quote yesterday for basswood shutters with 3.5 inch louvers. The main difference in pricing was whether or not I wanted the tilt bar that goes in the middle of the blinds. If I wanted the tilt bar, it was about $17.50 per square foot and about $19.50 without the tilt bar.  I think it looks better with the tilt bar but wanted to get some opinions before I make a decision. Also, does that price per square foot seem reasonable for basswood shutters?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

I think hidden tilt bar looks better too.  Front centered tilt bar looks more traditional, hidden tilt bar looks more contemporary and that what most people preferred nowadays.  And anything with good quality and under $20/s.f. is really good price.

There are also shutters with no-tilt-bar or invisible tilt bar like Norman's Sussex series, it looks really nice but more expensive of course. 

For some reason I like the tilt bar in the middle and the hidden one looks like the shutter is missing something. But Inc is right, I like more of a traditional look so if you want more contemporary or modern definitely go with the side or hidden bar.

The other thing I recommend is to actually live in the house for a bit before deciding on window coverings so you can see how the sun hits each window and decide where you want more light vs more privacy. This will help you mix in different types of window coverings. From a design standpoint it is really boring and looks quite plain if you cover every window of your house with just one type of window covering like shutters. Going through model homes you can see that they always mix and match - shutters, drapery, shades, roman blinds. It adds interest.

Homer_Simpson said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Homer_Simpson said:
What was the price per sqft you guys ended up paying for those shutters?  The best quote I've gotten from a local manufacturer/installer was $12.50.  Everything made at their factory in Ontario and the quality seems great!

You have to give to take.

Name of your local company? $12.50/sft is cheeeeeeaaap!

I think we used Windecor... I forgot how much we paid it was a while ago.

I'll let you know how it goes for our new build.  I've seen the quality in some of my neighbors homes and it's really well made and installed.

My neighbor is still surprised about the pricing because it was about a buck cheaper than what they got.  Window Decorators couldn't touch this price. 

PM me.

Would like to know this company that quoted $12.5 per sqft for shutters. Sent PM.
If someone also knows this company, please send me PM.
Thanks.

We had Orange County Shutters, just install a couple more shutters. There price is $17.50 Sq Ft. 100% Basswood. Golden West Shutters are over $25.00 Sq Ft.

M5BMW said:
We had Orange County Shutters, just install a couple more shutters. There price is $17.50 Sq Ft. 100% Basswood. Golden West Shutters are over $25.00 Sq Ft.

That's really good price you got from OC Shutter and it was even lower then the quote I got years ago.  GW is getting more expensive, maybe the higher CA's minimal wage has something to do with it since their factory is in the Lake Forest. 

Back