Go To for Food

I like Popeyes more than KFC.  Their Tuesday deal can't be beat.  As for the sides we only get their mashed with extra gravy.  I haven't been down to the Lake Forest location yet, anybody been?

I'd take McDonalds over KFC if I had to choose between the 2 since I'd be going to Popeyes for fried chicken. 

akkord said:
I like Popeyes more than KFC.  Their Tuesday deal can't be beat.  As for the sides we only get their mashed with extra gravy.  I haven't been down to the Lake Forest location yet, anybody been?

I'd take McDonalds over KFC if I had to choose between the 2 since I'd be going to Popeyes for fried chicken.

Popeyes and Church's are both much better than KFC.  Korean Fried Chicken is the right answer though. 

Haven't really gone to KFC in a while...we got to McDonald's for breakfast every once in awhile.    If I want fried chicken...we get the korean version or get them at Pavilions or Ralph's

Has anyone tried the new 'fresh' quarter pounders at McDs?  It seems fresher, but for whatever reason, I just don't like it very much. 

paydawg said:
Has anyone tried the new 'fresh' quarter pounders at McDs?  It seems fresher, but for whatever reason, I just don't like it very much.

what is a "fresh" quarter pounder?  is that like using "real" chicken?

paydawg said:

I'll stick to In'n'Out thank you very much. 

USCTrojanCPA said:
paydawg said:

Mooya burger is good.

USCTrojanCPA said:
paydawg said:

In n Out still a go to, but been liking The Cut and Burger Lounge too. 

Where's your go to for Korean fried chicken?  I normally go to Hashigo and BBQ Chicken if in the mood.  Also like Northwood Pizza, Pizza Port wings and Albertsons, though Albertsons is hit or miss as it can be too salty sometimes. 

Irvinecommuter said:
akkord said:

Popeyes and Church's are both much better than KFC.  Korean Fried Chicken is the right answer though. 

Haven't really gone to KFC in a while...we got to McDonald's for breakfast every once in awhile.    If I want fried chicken...we get the korean version or get them at Pavilions or Ralph's

akkord said:
Where's your go to for Korean fried chicken?  I normally go to Hashigo and BBQ Chicken if in the mood.  Also like Northwood Pizza, Pizza Port wings and Albertsons, though Albertsons is hit or miss as it can be too salty sometimes. 

There's a "Chicken?" thread in the Watercooler section for other chickens recs. :)

I prefer BBQ Chicken too... but if you just want wings/drums, try Krave Fusion next to Souplantation.

What makes fried chicken "Korean"? The spice? The coating? Where you buy it from?

akkord said:

Irvinecommuter said:
akkord said:

Place in Zion...Furia or something like that.

Irvinecommuter said:
akkord said:
Where's your go to for Korean fried chicken?

Place in Zion...Furia or something like that.

+1 for this place.  We like it a lot too. Order when you get there. Takes about 15 minutes to fry up. Shop Zion while you wait.

Okidoki - Tustin (has wide variety of diff japanese food: noodles, sushi, yakitori, hotpot); I love the spicy udon that comes in a fiery stone pot
Crack Shack - Costa Mesa (bomb fried jidori chicken)
Miyabi Shabu - fav shabu place in irvine currently cos the meat quality is very good for the angus choice (even compared against the $80 wagyu they had)
North Italia - pasta (very nice date place, and pasta's yummy since made from scratch)
Habana @ spectrum is actually good as an inexpensive brunch place at their bakery section (with cuban sandwiches, pastries, those fried potato balls Porto's known for, coffee)
Moulin - Newport Beach (French brunch place)
Hive & Honey Marriott Rooftop bar was cool to check out since it's the only rooftop bar in Irvine. Good view, but drinks were a bit pricey (no cover tho!)
Shinsengumi - Irvine (since it closes at 11pm, and one craves ramen/udon a lot when everywhere in Irvine closes)
Bruxies - Irvine (always has $5 wednesday specials, and lately has everyday $7 chicken tender deal)

Happy Hours in Irvine:
Habana - Cuban restaurant in spectrum ($5-6 drinks and small plates)
Brio Tuscan Grille - Spectrum (nice sangrias and $5-6 drinks and small plates)
Tokyo Table - DJ

Our "go to's"

Sushi: Ahi Ahi

https://www.yelp.com/biz/ahi-ahi-sushi-bar-and-grill-foothill-ranch?osq=Sushi

Pho: Thanh Binh

https://www.yelp.com/biz/thanh-binh-lake-forest-2?osq=Than+Binh

Rice Bowls: Mo's. I dearly wish to win the lottery and open one of these nearby.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/mos-no-2-santa-ana-2?osq=Mos

Healthy Food: Rutabegorz

https://www.yelp.com/biz/rutabegorz-tustin?osq=Healthy+Food

Vegan: Seabirds Kitchen.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/seabirds-kitchen-costa-mesa

Fast Indian: Nina's

https://www.yelp.com/biz/ninas-indian-and-british-groceries-lake-forest

Plenty of good suggestions in prior comments. Will need to put some on my To Do list.

Places to look forward to:
Left Coast Brewpub opening this month in the Sand Canyon plaza
Breakfast Republic coming to University Center by UCI

All That Shabu coming soon to Culver Plaza sounds interesting. Does anyone know if this is AYCE (since the name sounds like All that bbq haha)?
Jiaozi dumpling coming soon @ marketplace looks interesting...
Oooh and a new stacks pancake location coming soon to Newport Bluffs

misslavender said:
Okidoki - Tustin (has wide variety of diff japanese food: noodles, sushi, yakitori, hotpot); I love the spicy udon that comes in a fiery stone pot
Miyabi Shabu - fav shabu place in irvine currently cos the meat quality is very good for the angus choice (even compared against the $80 wagyu they had)
North Italia - pasta (very nice date place, and pasta's yummy since made from scratch)
Habana @ spectrum is actually good as an inexpensive brunch place at their bakery section (with cuban sandwiches, pastries, those fried potato balls Porto's known for, coffee)
Hive & Honey Marriott Rooftop bar was cool to check out since it's the only rooftop bar in Irvine. Good view, but drinks were a bit pricey (no cover tho!)
Shinsengumi - Irvine (since it closes at 11pm, and one craves ramen/udon a lot when everywhere in Irvine closes)
Bruxies - Irvine (always has $5 wednesday specials, and lately has everyday $7 chicken tender deal)

Happy Hours in Irvine:
Tokyo Table - DJ

You forgot 85c bakery cafe

inv0ke-epipen said:
misslavender said:

Happy Hours in Irvine:
Tokyo Table - DJ

You forgot 85c bakery cafe

Off the list for a reason? ;)

Irvinecommuter said:
Diverging but happy hour in Irvine is an interesting topic...standard places like TGIF, BJ, and Cheesecake Factory.  Any other spots?

Habana, EMC, and Tokyo Table for late night happy hour.

Back