Georgia Tech and UCLA Admissions

No surprise. Harvey Mudd is basically a scaled down version of CalTech, and like CalTech it is only for the very serious student that has no desire for the social aspect of college.

tech.jpg

Georgia Tech Admitted 23% of the 2018 freshmen applicants, while UCLA admitted 14.1 of its 2018 freshman applicants. 37% of the Georgia resident freshmen were admitted, while only 19% for out of state students.

Only 12% of the California resident freshmen class were admitted into the 2018 UCLA freshman class.

UCLA 2018 Stats
Admit rate ? Overall
14.1%
Admits
Applicants

Question to TI Posters:

1. If my son or daughter can get accepted into UCLA as an in-state student (STEM Major), he/she would also have the qualifications to be admitted to the second tier Ivy like Brown, Vanderbilt, Cornell, or Rice.

2. If your child were accepted all as a STEM major to UCLA, Rice, Brown, Vanderbilt, and Cornell, which college would you encourage your child to attend? The price tag for 4 years at UCLA is $126k vs $300k+ for an Ivy education. Is the hefty $300k price tag worth to have the Ivy name?

3. If you are an UCLA alumnus (1992 - 1998), you would not be able able to attend UCLA today with your high school grades. Agree or Disagree?

4. Among your peers who are graduates of a state school like UCLA (State School) etc, vs an Ivy, who is doing better in the real world after 20 years after college?

OCtoSV said:
No surprise. Harvey Mudd is basically a scaled down version of CalTech, and like CalTech it is only for the very serious student that has no desire for the social aspect of college.
Cares said:
bones said:
Cares said:
haiku said:
They said that 10-20 years ago, it might not have been that much, but now (think 2012-2013) it'd probably take $500k min to $1M to receive favorable treatment assuming your child didn't fully qualify.

I'm sorry but I would say there is a 0% chance you would get anyone from an admissions committee to confirm or disclose that they take donations for favorable consideration.

You don?t need them to confirm or disclose. Just look at the named buildings, scholarships, fellowships, professorships, etc and chances are, the named offspring are graduates/current students.

I am in no way denying that this does happen. I am skeptical that you would get anyone to say it happens.

You didn't listen to what words the US Attorney actually said in the press conference on Varsity Blues.

Back