Free Irvine Art Festival

Mcdonna1980_IHB

I'm taking my kids here today. It's Free!

Saturday, June 6, 2009

9am-5pm

Each year, the Irvine Fine Arts Center hosts the Studio Arts Festival, an Irvine Fine Arts Center fundraiser, in beautiful <strong>Heritage Park</strong>. Join us at the beginning of June for a firsthand look and opportunity to purchase some of the finest artwork by Southern California artists including many Art Center instructors and patrons. Over 100 artists participate and include a variety of disciplines from ceramics, sculpture, jewelry, painting, photography, textiles, glass art, gourd art and more!

Enjoy live music and food around the lagoon as you spend a spring day shopping for fine art. Come out and relax with us and see demonstrations of how these artists produce such wonderful artwork. Past demonstrations have included ceramic wheel-throwing, portrait sculpture, plein air painting, and weaving. Spend the day Saturday enjoying what the Irvine Fine Arts Center has to offer you.

Admission and parking are free!

For more information call (949) 724-6880

We went last year. They had a booth where you can make your own ice cream sundae, and you can pick out and keep the hand-painted ceramic dish.

[quote author="Mcdonna1980" date=1244335169]I'm taking my kids here today. It's Free!

Saturday, June 6, 2009

9am-5pm

Each year, the Irvine Fine Arts Center hosts the Studio Arts Festival, an Irvine Fine Arts Center fundraiser, in beautiful <strong>Heritage Park</strong>. Join us at the beginning of June for a firsthand look and opportunity to purchase some of the finest artwork by Southern California artists including many Art Center instructors and patrons. Over 100 artists participate and include a variety of disciplines from ceramics, sculpture, jewelry, painting, photography, textiles, glass art, gourd art and more!

Enjoy live music and food around the lagoon as you spend a spring day shopping for fine art. Come out and relax with us and see demonstrations of how these artists produce such wonderful artwork. Past demonstrations have included ceramic wheel-throwing, portrait sculpture, plein air painting, and weaving. Spend the day Saturday enjoying what the Irvine Fine Arts Center has to offer you.

For more information call (949) 724-6880</blockquote>

McD, I hope you can write about your experience at the Arts Festival and share it with us on the <a href="http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/forums/viewthread/5317/">Super Saver Saturday</a> thread; I would love to hear all about it, thanks...

I passed through this last Saturday... had some nice stuff.

And before graphix faints... the real reason I was there was because I was on my way to some pick-up hoops. The parking was ridiculous and I had to walk through the festival to get to the courts.

Had I known about this earlier I would have taken the kids. I went to one of these years ago in Laguna Beach... trying to impress the woman who eventually was crazy enough to marry me.

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1244464224] I went to one of these years ago in Laguna Beach... trying to impress the woman who eventually was crazy enough to marry me.</blockquote>

The "Sawdust Festival"?

No... it was some independent vendor thing actually in the beach town. They closed off some streets for it.

The last time I went to the Sawdust Festival was for a summer job watching middle school kids... many more years ago.

[quote author="roundcorners" date=1244459136][quote author="Mcdonna1980" date=1244335169]I'm taking my kids here today. It's Free!

Saturday, June 6, 2009

9am-5pm

For more information call (949) 724-6880</blockquote>

McD, I hope you can write about your experience at the Arts Festival and share it with us on the <a href="http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/forums/viewthread/5317/">Super Saver Saturday</a> thread; I would love to hear all about it, thanks...</blockquote>

I rarely venture into the adventure section so I missed the SSS thread. Maybe Z can direct this there. The festival was okay. I wish here was some demostrations from the artists or hands on crafts. I think the kids would a enjoyed that. But we did have a nice time viewing the arts on display. There was some beautiful ceramics for sale. Afterwards we hung out at the library.

Off topic... Heritage Park's playground was ripped up with the exception of the cool super tall slide. Anyone know if they are doing away with that slide? I hate all this foo foo safety playground crap. Children stay home and play video games because playgrounds are boring. Dame lawyers ruin all the fun! There is one playground in Woodbury that is a tad reminiscent of my childhood. Thank you to whom every stood up to the safety Nazis for that one.

[quote author="Mcdonna1980" date=1244544722] Heritage Park's playground was ripped up with the exception of the cool super tall slide. Anyone know if they are doing away with that slide? </blockquote>

It has been like that for quite some time now. I have been wondering what is going on there. Last summer we went and it was a disaster. Graffiti there, trash all over, play equipment broken. I couldn't believe I was in Irvine. It is really a shame.

The playground was semi-closed for a while (they boarded up most of the climbing structures)... they just tore it down and started new construction about a month ago. What's interesting is I believe they just renovated that playground within the last 5-10 years... it must get lots of usage.

I think they are trying to preserve the tower slide as that has been a landmark to Heritage Park... the only problem is it is unsafe due to age and the shifting ground. There is a plan posted for the playground outside the construction fence facing the lake... I'll take a look when I'm there next time to see if the slide is in the plans.

Back