Four family members struck by car in Irvine; one dies

irvinehomeowner said:
paperboyNC said:
Paywall won't let me read it. Was the whole family pedestrians crossing the street?

I think if you turn off your ad blocker it will let you in.

The funny thing is you can still read the comments, and for once the OCR commentators weren't hurling racial insults at each other, but working together to share tips on getting around the paywall... LOL.

Liar Loan said:
irvinehomeowner said:
paperboyNC said:
Paywall won't let me read it. Was the whole family pedestrians crossing the street?

The funny thing is you can still read the comments, and for once the OCR commentators weren't hurling racial insults at each other, but working together to share tips on getting around the paywall... LOL.

even ocr is trying to "build the (pay)wall" to keep out undocumented readers

Kings said:
Liar Loan said:
irvinehomeowner said:
paperboyNC said:

I guess we're all illegal now.

Liar Loan said:
Kings said:
Liar Loan said:
irvinehomeowner said:
paperboyNC said:

I guess we're all illegal now.
not me!  my parents bookmarked the ocr website when i was only a child so i deserve free viewing!

Kings said:
Liar Loan said:
irvinehomeowner said:
paperboyNC said:

2akih0.jpg

Hes had multiple duis in the past.
His bac was .22.  For reference,  .22 is too drunk to drive.  Anything above .15 is too impaired to drive.  Anything above .08 is illegal.

Prosecutor is asking for 22 years to life.
http://orangecountyda.org/civica/press/display.asp?layout=2&Entry=5572

spootieho said:
His bac was .22.  For reference,  .22 is too drunk to drive.  Anything above .15 is too impaired to drive.  Anything above .08 is illegal.

1 dui = you screwed up
2 dui = you know what you?re doing and don?t care
3 dui = you are beyond fixing

one life sentence please

spootieho said:
That's a major wtf right there.  The justice system has failed that poor family.  I wish they could sue the courts.  I agree with Kings.  Let him rot.

Kings said:
spootieho said:

1 dui = you screwed up

one life sentence please

I disagree with #2 and #3.  For an alcoholic, they may care but have no self control.  This guy should have been in a rehab program, and with multiple DUI's the court should have restricted his license to work travel only, and required a breathalyzer to start his car.

Liar Loan said:
Kings said:
spootieho said:

1 dui = you screwed up

one life sentence please

I disagree with #2 and #3.  For an alcoholic, they may care but have no self control.  This guy should have been in a rehab program, and with multiple DUI's the court should have restricted his license to work travel only, and required a breathalyzer to start his car.

do we know they were an alcoholic though?  and even if they were, it's still a conscious choice to drink - especially this dunce who got his second dui 1 year after his first.  correct me if i'm wrong, but #1 is just a hefty fine and (potentially) suspension of license for 1 year.  after #2 should have been breathalyzer in car (for how long?) and rehab (for how long?).  he didn't get "caught" with his third dui until 15 years later.  who knows how many times he drove intoxicated between that period?

i know a couple people who have gotten duis and a couple more who have died at the hands of those issued one.  unfortunately, i'm emotionally invested in this issue so it's a good thing i'm not the one making final decision on sentencing.

King: similar story. I know of a person that got a dui and went to jail. Then he walked into the processing and was let go because the jail was too full. (I don?t know how many duis had but I assume more than 1. I would guess 2 +)

I don?t know if being in LA makes a difference.

Kings said:
Liar Loan said:
Kings said:
spootieho said:

1 dui = you screwed up

one life sentence please

do we know they were an alcoholic though?  and even if they were, it's still a conscious choice to drink - especially this dunce who got his second dui 1 year after his first.  correct me if i'm wrong, but #1 is just a hefty fine and (potentially) suspension of license for 1 year.  after #2 should have been breathalyzer in car (for how long?) and rehab (for how long?).  he didn't get "caught" with his third dui until 15 years later.  who knows how many times he drove intoxicated between that period?

i know a couple people who have gotten duis and a couple more who have died at the hands of those issued one.  unfortunately, i'm emotionally invested in this issue so it's a good thing i'm not the one making final decision on sentencing.

I agree it's an emotional issue.  I'm in the same boat of knowing people that have gotten DUI's, and some others that have been killed/injured by drunk drivers.  I've also known some addicts that went through rehab and turned their lives around, so maybe that colors my feelings about this.

I think this guy is an alcoholic if he's had multiple DUI's.  That's pretty much text book definition for me.  But I agree that even if he couldn't control his cravings, he did have the choice of whether to drive drunk or not, and he chose to get in his car on multiple occasions. 

I don't know what explains this faulty decision-making other than major denial that a problem exists.  I'm not in the camp of believing that just because somebody is drunk, it excuses them from acting like an idiot or worse.

I've know plenty of alcoholics whom know not to drive. 

That said, when you get to a certain level of drunk, you might not be able to make good decisions.  At some point, you lose your inhibitions and will do stuff your sane self wouldn't do.  If you are going to get yourself to that level, then you should probably make plans in advance.  Make sure you don't have your keys.  Make sure you don't have a car.

I'm personally going to prejudge this guy and guess that he is 100% at fault and has no excuse for what he did.

I do understand that some of these cases are a bit complicated to judge.  I've been in an incident myself.  The designated driver gave me car keys and told me to drive when I was black out drunk.

Back