Flooring for San Mateo Plan 2

lookinginirvine

Anyone care to share how much they spent for flooring for a San Mateo detached condo?

We are thinking about two options for flooring:

1) whole first floor in tiles and second floor laminate (bathrooms and laundry will be tile)
2) laminate throughout the whole house with the exception of bathrooms and laundry which will be in tile.

Since we just signed our contract, it is too early for us to get an outside contractor to come out and take measurements.
I spoke with Eric from Venetian Flooring over the phone and he quoted me roughly $9,000-$10,000 for 1/2" thick laminates throughout the whole house but since he doesn't do tile, I don't know how much it will cost me to do tile in the bathrooms and laundry.

If anyone care to share how much they spent on their flooring, that would help us make our decision if we should get our flooring done with the IP Design Center when the time comes.

What do you guys think of the idea of letting IP do the tiles in the bathrooms and laundry and have Venetian do the rest of the house in laminate? Or should I get another contractor to work on the tiles? If IP is not that much more expensive, I rather pay a little more for the convenience of an easy move-in instead of having to deal with several contractors.

lookinginirvine said:
Anyone care to share how much they spent for flooring for a San Mateo detached condo?

We are thinking about two options for flooring:

1) whole first floor in tiles and second floor laminate (bathrooms and laundry will be tile)
2) laminate throughout the whole house with the exception of bathrooms and laundry which will be in tile.

Since we just signed our contract, it is too early for us to get an outside contractor to come out and take measurements.
I spoke with Eric from Venetian Flooring over the phone and he quoted me roughly $9,000-$10,000 for 1/2" thick laminates throughout the whole house but since he doesn't do tile, I don't know how much it will cost me to do tile in the bathrooms and laundry.

If anyone care to share how much they spent on their flooring, that would help us make our decision if we should get our flooring done with the IP Design Center when the time comes.

What do you guys think of the idea of letting IP do the tiles in the bathrooms and laundry and have Venetian do the rest of the house in laminate? Or should I get another contractor to work on the tiles? If IP is not that much more expensive, I rather pay a little more for the convenience of an easy move-in instead of having to deal with several contractors.
The quote you got for the laminate seems really high.  I did all of my flooring (engineering hardwood downstairs, stairs, upstairs hallway with carpet in the upstairs bedrooms and tiles in bathroom and laundry room) for about $14k for a 1,900sf home.  I would go shopping for laminate flooring on State College in Anaheim or places like Lumbar Liquidators.  Laminate is a lot easier to install and the material is cheaper than engineering hardwood.  I would recommend carpet in the bedrooms (good carpet runs about $3.50-$4.00 installed with padding).  The thing that you'll also want to consider upgrading if you do flooring with an outside contractor is get nice baseboards (check with World of Molding in Santa Ana). 

Yeah we got the quote from Venetian Flooring System first because they are highly recommended here on Talk Irvine.

I will probably get a few other quotes later when I can get someone to come take measurements. Our house is not even build yet so there was nothing for Eric measure, he just gave us a quote based on what we told him we wanted.

We didn't want carpet anywhere in the house because we have a 1 1/2 year old who is not potty trained yet. Eventually we'll want to potty train him once the house is built but carpet will just create a headache for us to clean up after him.

lookinginirvine said:
Yeah we got the quote from Venetian Flooring System first because they are highly recommended here on Talk Irvine.

I will probably get a few other quotes later when I can get someone to come take measurements. Our house is not even build yet so there was nothing for Eric measure, he just gave us a quote based on what we told him we wanted.

We didn't want carpet anywhere in the house because we have a 1 1/2 year old who is not potty trained yet. Eventually we'll want to potty train him once the house is built but carpet will just create a headache for us to clean up after him.
I used Venetian to do my engineering hardwood flooring installation and I'd highly recommend them for that.  Because the installation of laminate flooring is simpler than engineering hardwood flooring, you should be able to get it installed cheaper (the price of the material should be about 50% less too).  You can have the contractors meet you at the sales office and take them to the model to take measurements (that's what a lot of my new home buyers did).  It won't be 100% accruate, but it'll be close enough to get a good quote.   

That's a great idea! I will have the contractors meet me at the models to take measurements. Why didn't I think about that?  :p

By the way, who did you use for your tile for the bathroom and laundry? Venetian recommended that I contact Kohler Tile Company for my tiles but it'll be nice to have a few more quotes to compare.

lookinginirvine said:
That's a great idea! I will have the contractors meet me at the models to take measurements. Why didn't I think about that?  :p

By the way, who did you use for your tile for the bathroom and laundry? Venetian recommended that I contact Kohler Tile Company for my tiles but it'll be nice to have a few more quotes to compare.

You might want to check out Arizona Tile if you'd like several options of surfaces. Good people, good value, and I've had nothing but great experiences with them.

-IrvineRealtor

lookinginirvine said:

I used a contractor who did several things for me, including installing tiles in my bathrooms and laundry room.  I bought my tiles over at Floor Decor in Santa Ana (East of the 55 off Dyer).

I'd go tile before laminate.

Laminate is loud (at least the one we used to have) and I don't think it looks very good. I thought there was engineered wood that also had a click-lock system so that it was easy to install like laminate.

Here's my two cents...

Factor in long term/resale appeal as well.. potty training is limited time frame, probably a year or so away.. laminate has great durability and clean up is easy.. but if installed upstairs.. they sometimes creak, and creak, and creak.. it drove me bonkers and doesn't show well in a empty hollow home during showings (at least the acoustic part).  Tile is the easiest to cleanup (we try to move the kid to tile surfaces during puke times) but it is cold.. and being spoiled in socal, I can't stand cold flooring especially in the early morning during our brief "winter" time.  I would limit tile to the "flood" areas like bath/kitchen.. and maybe a "puke zone" for the little one during sick times.  If within budget, get hardwood (engineered or not) for flooring downstairs, tile for all wet areas like laundry, kitchen, and bath for the whole house, and carpet for the rest of upstairs..  If you go with IP on the standard carpet, you can hold off on upgrading until you're out of the "pooping in the middle of the room" phase, then rip it out and go with a better carpet elsewhere.  I think I use quotation marks too much..

irvinehomeowner said:
I'd go tile before laminate.

Laminate is loud (at least the one we used to have) and I don't think it looks very good. I thought there was engineered wood that also had a click-lock system so that it was easy to install like laminate.
Sounds like they didn't install the foam padding and plastic moisture barrier.  My dad and I installed laminate floors in most of my rentals and it's never made any noise. 

We had the foam padding... the surface itself is very loud... like when you drop something (coins, babies, etc) or walk in heels (no... not my stilettos)... it's a loud clack-clack sound.

I don't think I've seen a laminate floor in all the homes I've toured that wasn't loud. I think that's also why IP went to that tile-like flooring that looks like wood.

As for the "PS9 freeze the footsies" factor... area rugs warms the areas up and most of my family wears slippers downstairs. And having tile downstairs allows us to not have to enforce the "take off your shoes" rule to visitors.

lookinginirvine said:

I did this for my san mateo plan 1... including tile in bathrooms and laundry for $7200.  I also saved the carpet remnants, bound the edges and put felt underneath for $400 for the rooms upstairs.

villagepeople said:
lookinginirvine said:

I did this for my san mateo plan 1... including tile in bathrooms and laundry for $7200.  I also saved the carpet remnants, bound the edges and put felt underneath for $400 for the rooms upstairs.

$7200 for the whole house including tiles? You just put a big smile on my face $$$$$. :D 
Please let me know who you used. I will definitely get a quote from them if you can recommend them!!!

lookinginirvine said:
villagepeople said:
lookinginirvine said:

$7200 for the whole house including tiles? You just put a big smile on my face $$$$$. :D 
Please let me know who you used. I will definitely get a quote from them if you can recommend them!!!

i used these guys...
http://www.yelp.com/biz/irvine-carpet-and-flooring-irvine

but i can't recommend them.... the workers rushed it... I had to call them back to fix stuff they broke like the door frame where they were trying to rip out the old baseboards... they left the place a mess and they smoked in the garage and put the butts out on the new garage floor.. they used and clogged up my toilet before I even used it!

I got several other quotes most of them were around $1.50 per sq foot for labor + whatever materials cost.  The reason I went with them was cause they had a scraped laminate that looked (to me at least) as good as the engineered hardwood the design center quoted me for, for 18k just for the downstairs.  They will also replace all the base boards, which I thought were a good idea, but if I were have done it again I would go with the people who were going to do quarter rounds because they don't have to pull out the original baseboards (which caused the damage) and they still have to use quarter rounds in some places.

Hope this helps.

I'm aware this a old thread.  But I'm wondering if lookinginirvine is around to commend how did your flooring job go?  What flooring contractor did you go with?

I ended up going with Tompkins flooring for the whole house. Overall, they did a pretty good job. Went with Tompkins because other flooring contractors were either too expensive or was not interested in doing my flooring....

songkou said:
I'm aware this a old thread.  But I'm wondering if lookinginirvine is around to commend how did your flooring job go?  What flooring contractor did you go with?

Back