flooring first and paint after?

lovingit

Would you guys do flooring first and then paint the interior of your house or vice versa?I was originally thinking of painting the interior first and then doing flooring after so you don't damage the new floors but, according to some painters, there might be an issue with paint drying and sawdust everywhere.

You or the painter would probably cover the floors while painting, so there should be no issues of damaging the new floors ?

Will the baseboards need to be painted?

I usually find that flooring installers will mark up the walls more than painters will mark up the floors.

For the 3 times I've put in flooring and paint, both the flooring and painters agreed that flooring should go in first.

In new homes, they paint first, but that's because 1. They spray apply and 2. Flooring is a design center option and usually held until the later stages.

Is there risk when the painter spray the baseboards that it will get on the carpet? I look at how the baseboards go deep into the carpet, so not sure how they would tape it up. Almost seems inevitable that paint would get on the carpet.

An option is to install all the hardwood, then get the painters to come, then get carpet installed last? Unless, there is a chance that when they rip out the old carpet and install the new carpet, they damage the newly painted baseboards.

That's what I'm doing.  Hardwood first, then paint, then carpets. 

But if you did carpet first, then paint, it should be okay, too.  The painters taped up the carpet edges pretty well, even though I told them I was changing the carpets.  I just didn't want their shoes to transfer paint on the new carpets if they were careless when removing the plastic after painting.

If the carpet installers knick some paint off the baseboards, you could just touch it up and it will probably be knicked by the vacuum and furniture later anyways. 

BTW, do you already have a hardwood installer?  I want to recommend the guys that did my hardwood floors.  They were phenomenal and cheaper than other vendors I found on TI.  I really appreciate them and am eager to refer them. 

Good luck!

In my experience, painters will put down plastic and/or tarps to protect your floors, floor installers won't do anything to protect your walls/paint.

irvinehomeowner said:
In my experience, painters will put down plastic and/or tarps to protect your floors, floor installers won't do anything to protect your walls/paint.

Good point. 

For my last two renovation, I've be doing it top down.  Paint first, then flooring.  My contractor was also recommending this way.  He's reasoning was that it is hard to remove paint on the new carpet or wood flooring(paint thinner might damage the wood finish), harder to fixed scratches on the new wood floor then clean up the dust or repair dent on the wall. 

I guess home owner had to decide which contractor are more competent/more careful and decide who goes first and who goes second.

We bought our house with no flooring installed.

Paint first, hard surface work next (counters, showers, etc), followed by carpet and then custom cabinetry.

I did floor first then painting
1. Demolishing tile is big mess
2. Floor is bigger cost
You want your house control by floor color not wall color
After you install floor , you can easily match paint
If you paint first , you donothave many choice for paint to match your floor

i1 said:
I found most painters and flooring guys both say they should go first. and there was no clear consensus from online home reno forums.
My painters recommend doing flooring first. But that's also because they painted the baseboards.

Back