Floor tile opinion wanted

Rizdak

Sooo... I want to update the flooring in my parents' house. Am thinking about one porcelain tile for common areas, and another one for bathrooms. (The remaining areas would be carpet.) Is it weird to have different types of tile adjoined between two rooms? Like a hallway and a bathroom.  I don't know much about tile, so if you have better ideas, let me know. I'm just trying to update their house for the sake of selling - Thanks.

If its a powder room or a common bathroom attached to main living areas, I think matching the flooring to the common areas looks nicer.

Especially for the sake of selling you probably want something that just looks decent and has wider appeal instead of overdesigning.

Since you are using a different tile for a separate space with a door, I don't think it really matters if you use different tiles.

I'm assuming the master bath doesn't connect to the hallway so there is less concern. For the other bathroom, I would suggest a transitional effect like a mosaic or the a border made up of one of the tiles set in a different direction so it's not just an abrupt switch from one tile to the other.

A mosaic tile would look something like this:

transition-between-2-different-tiles.jpg

A border using one of the tiles would be like this:

8-tile-to-tile-transition-tampa-tarpon-springs-sarasota-brandon-bradenton-clearwater-orlando-largo-st-pete-florida.jpg

The transition in the bottom pic is very elegant. Like it! And the choice of both tiles works because they're both fairly neutral.

Given you're looking to sell though I just wouldn't pay up on design choices in case it turns off any potential buyers. Having said that, what you're talking about sounds pretty minor in the grand scheme of things.

Why not just do the same tile for all the tile areas? One thing to switch when you are going from wood to tile but to me I think things look nicer when you use the consistent tile (especially given this design and how the tiles link). Totally different story if the bathrooms were connected to a point where they didn't align with the other set of tiles (i.e., were on the other side of a bedroom so you were going from carpet to a tile that was different as the one used through the main living areas (and much more common to see). 

While I think the bottom one does a nicer job with the separation, I still don't particularly like it. 

Thanks for all the thoughtful responses. I hadn't considered the bordering between tiles. May just go with one set of tile for the purpose of selling if it's simpler, though. I thought it might be a little strange to extend the same tile all the way from kitchen to bathroom, but it sounds like you guys think it would be fine.

Rizdak said:
Thanks for all the thoughtful responses. I hadn't considered the bordering between tiles. May just go with one set of tile for the purpose of selling if it's simpler, though. I thought it might be a little strange to extend the same tile all the way from kitchen to bathroom, but it sounds like you guys think it would be fine.

Back