Fav Ice Cream?

Btw, we did not polish off the containers last night. Not because I didn't want to. But because I didn't want my hips to. Here is the calorie count:

Vanilla caramel: 180 calories per half cup
Triple chocolate: 160 calories per half cup

It's higher in calories than its equivalent flavor of ice cream... if you care about those things. The side effect of the gelato is temporary diet amnesia where you just don't care.  :)

qwerty said:
I really like talento gelato, the cookie crunch flavor. Comes in those pint containers and costs $4-5, pricy but tasty and it cuts back on the calories if you happen to eat the whole container (800 calories)

Ah. When I was checking out at the store, the cashier mentioned Talento and suggested I buy it. Having this my cart already, I passed but would buy it when this ran out. I'm glad you like it. Based on your recommendation, I will get the Talento on my next trip.

I tried the Sea Salt Caramel gelato by Talenti.

DSC_0013.jpg

It was good when compared to ice cream but I wouldn't call this gelato. The consistency is completely different from other brands. This one was quite hard. Difficult to scoop, not cloud-like as I mentioned with the Breyers. There is no discernible difference between this "gelato" and regular ice cream. In fact, the slow-churned varieties of ice cream may even be more "gelato-like" than Talenti. However,  Talenti does have an impressive selection of innovative flavors. Each one was more magnetizing than the next. The decision process can be lengthy! Overall, I'm not much of an ice cream lover so I couldn't really see myself buying the Talenti again as there wasn't much to set it apart from the rest out there. True gelato may be a different story with its ease of scooping and softer texture.

As with Breyers, H?agen-Dazs has also just entered the gelato market. I will give them a try next.

i just tried the rasberry cheesecake gelato from breyers, it was ok. i actually like the talenti gelato much better. ive tried 3-4 of the talenti flavors and they are all tastier.

TLow97 said:
Thrifty's used to make a flavor called "Butter Toffee" or something like that... I forgot the name.  Tasted similar to Butter Pecan, but there were toffee chips instead of the Pecans.

Oh man, that was so good.  Can't seem to find anything similar anymore.  Of course this was when I was a kid over 25 years ago, so I might have thought it was toffee but could have been something else. 

It was called Butter Almond Toffee.  It was the best.  Hasn't seen since around 1985.

I bought a pint of Talenti the other day. I think my grocery store just started carrying it. It's not as fluffy as other gelato. More like soft ice cream. But it was good.

SoCal said:
I bought a pint of Talenti the other day. I think my grocery store just started carrying it. It's not as fluffy as other gelato. More like soft ice cream. But it was good.

They make a very good hazelnut chocolate chip but haven't been able to find it lately. BTW, gelato is not just texture but also ingredients/recipe that differentiate it from ice cream. Although most of the stuff in the freezer section is "frozen diary dessert" these days. They put so much other junk in it, they are not allowed to call it ice cream anymore.

WTTCHMN said:
zubs said:
This is my favorite ice cream parlor:http://www.cauldronicecream.com/

And this is what I get only without the puffle crap.

11899452_953269234736421_173859252_n.jpg

It's at the intersection of Bristol and McArthur near south coast plaza.

But the puffle is what makes it unique.  Otherwise you can just go to Creamistry.

That's the thing about Creamistry.  It probably has the same flavors as Cauldron, but how do you order it?

Lets take a comparison:
Cauldron menu:
4a8bb0894c737dbc66685df4f9ad4ab1.jpg

Easy to read...easy to order.

Creamistry menu
Creamistry-3-640x230.jpg

Dafuq is all that shit?

I get it....Cremistry is a play on chemistry, so their menu gots to look complicated n shit.

I took AP Physics in high school...I don't do 2 gud....I don't wanna relive that shit at the ice cream shop.  The creamistry menu gives me anxiety.

zubs said:
I get it....Cremistry is a play on chemistry, so their menu gots to look complicated n shit.

I took AP Physics in high school...I didn't do too gud....I don't wanna relive that shit at the ice cream shop.  The creamistry menu gives me anxiety.

I guess you don't like any of the build your own food restaurants: Pieology, Chipotle, H20 Poke, Cava Grill, etc...

iacrenter said:
zubs said:

I took AP Physics in high school...I didn't do too gud....I don't wanna relive that shit at the ice cream shop.  The creamistry menu gives me anxiety.

I guess you don't like any of the build your own food restaurants: Pieology, Chipotle, H20 Poke, Cava Grill, etc...

Don't get me started on H20...worst portions ever and the sauce they make is terrible
If you want an awesome place, try out Poki Roll if you ever in Cypress

On the point of ice cream, call me old fashioned but I like me some good ol' thrifty ice cream cookies and cream  8) Gelato wise, love that hole in the wall at laguna with the fresh made waffle cones "Gelato Paradiso" their espresso/coffee flavored ones are amazingggg

SoclosetoIrvine said:
iacrenter said:
zubs said:

Don't get me started on H20...worst portions ever and the sauce they make is terrible
If you want an awesome place, try out Poki Roll if you ever in Cypress

On the point of ice cream, call me old fashioned but I like me some good ol' thrifty ice cream cookies and cream  8) Gelato wise, love that hole in the wall at laguna with the fresh made waffle cones "Gelato Paradiso" their espresso/coffee flavored ones are amazingggg

I've actually never eaten at H2O and based on your review I never will. My favorite poke place is Pokinometry in Anaheim.

+1 on Gelato Paradiso in Laguna Beach. It's a hidden gem that the Mrs and I love.

Back