Father and Two sons panhandling at Heritage Plaza

You also have to be aware that some of these panhandlers are simply gypsies and other types of scammers.  There are two girls that used to panhandle in the parking lot of the Vons near my house.  It was reported by neighbors that they were seen hopping into the back of a BMW driven by their father at the end of their "shift".

Last year I also had Christmas carolers doing something similar.  They came to our door and started singing "We Wish You A Merry Christmas" and then asked for a couple of bucks to fund "presents for poor kids".  The father stayed in the vehicle while sending his kids out to do this.  We had two girls come to our door and my neighbors said there were also a group of two boys that belonged with them, hitting up other streets in the area.  Think if every house gives them money for every 1 minute interaction they are probably averaging at least $50 an hour.

They are at the Culver Target.  Hate them with their fake sob story holding their baby who are obviously drugged and passed out.  People were giving them money too.  I?ll Cal social services to help them out.  See how fast they run.

rickr said:
Instead of taking pictures of this family at a time of need and posting it on a public forum for all to see, why don't you offer the guy a job or a few bucks. Everyone is down on their luck some time in life and needs some help. Not everyone is blessed to be born rich and live off mom and dads millions.

Who knows what the backstory is. He could be disabled or has gone through BK because of medical bills. No reason to make fun of him and his young family.

This seriously offends me. Something like this should not be here. Especially when young kids are involved.

My initial reaction was similar, I was trying to look at it from a sympathetic point of view.  I know there are others like me who are just salarymen and not filthy rich, unable to buy luxurious homes with cash like FCBs, and all it would take is a streak of bad luck for me and I'd be out on the streets.  Regardless, I am thankful for where I am and what little I do have.

But as I started looking into the matter and doing a little more digging, I have changed my perspective.  I am not naturally cynical, but I've read many stories where gypsies and the like prey upon good natured souls, and fabricate these crazy sob stories and pull on people's heartstrings to make us give.  Many times, the adults and kids come from different families, but they are 'assigned' a shift to work a certain area together, because people are more willing to give when they see kids in these situations.

It's sad that the kids are exploited this way, and I for one would feel incredibly wronged and manipulated if I found out I gave towards a fake cause.  Imagine if someone posted a gofundme sob story, raised 100k, and then you found out they were just lazy bums and didn't want to work, so they came up with a sob story of how their dad died of cancer at 35 and the family has been on the streets for two years, when in fact they live in a perfectly fine 2/3 bedroom home.

I still try to give most people the benefit of the doubt, but this particular begging location has a bad reputation (i.e. the beggars here are usually lying).

undecided said:
It's sad that the kids are exploited this way, and I for one would feel incredibly wronged and manipulated if I found out I gave towards a fake cause. 
I don't think gypsies love their kids any less than you love yours. That they make a living in a way you find objectionable does not make them bad parents. Yes, tugging on heartstrings is manipulation, but gypsies are nothing compared to Madison Avenue.

Happiness said:
undecided said:
It's sad that the kids are exploited this way, and I for one would feel incredibly wronged and manipulated if I found out I gave towards a fake cause. 
I don't think gypsies love their kids any less than you love yours. That they make a living in a way you find objectionable does not make them bad parents. Yes, tugging on heartstrings is manipulation, but gypsies are nothing compared to Madison Avenue.

Teaching their kids to be professional con artists doesn't make them bad parents?

undecided said:
I for one would feel incredibly wronged and manipulated if I found out I gave towards a fake cause.

You could always do what Pastor Chuck Smith did. One day, I was listening to Pastors' Perspective. They had a caller with an identical concern. Chuck (or it may have been one of the other two co-hosts on the air with him, don't quote me on this, it was a while back) said when he's giving money to a beggar, he prays with them over it. As he's leading them in prayer, he prays the money would be used to bless the man, used for food to nourish the man's body, etc. (other true needs being met). He goes on to pray aloud that if this money is being used in any sinful ways or gained through deception, that the money would become a curse on the man's life. Some refuse to take the money.

:)

if you really care, take them to that korean bbq place and have dinner with them. do that before criticizing the original poster or even throwing a stack of benjamin at them.

SoCal said:
undecided said:
I for one would feel incredibly wronged and manipulated if I found out I gave towards a fake cause.

You could always do what Pastor Chuck Smith did. One day, I was listening to Pastors' Perspective. They had a caller with an identical concern. Chuck (or it may have been one of the other two co-hosts on the air with him, don't quote me on this, it was a while back) said when he's giving money to a beggar, he prays with them over it. As he's leading them in prayer, he prays the money would be used to bless the man, used for food to nourish the man's body, etc. (other true needs being met). He goes on to pray aloud that if this money is being used in any sinful ways or gained through deception, that the money would become a curse on the man's life. Some refuse to take the money.

:)

leading them into prayer is good, but if it was pastor smith or any pastor, he should have presented the gospel instead of checking them if they are legit. he should have told them about jesus who burn that belly claims to be his savior. i don't know if he's talking about the same jesus from the holy bible.

Back