Experience with dispute resolution with associations

bondz3

Homeowners,
Is there anybody out there that has experience with dispute resolution with property management companies / HOA boards?

Irvine Inhabitant said:
Homeowners,
Is there anybody out there that has experience with dispute resolution with property management companies / HOA boards?

Which community? It really depends on the items in the poorly written guidelines. If there are any open ended rules, and the rules is written for open interpretations then maybe.

Depends on what you're planning on fighting about.

And depends on the board.

Because frankly, the last thing you want is a p.o'd petty board member.  Think Donald Trump with a bruised ego looking for a reason to fee and harass you through CC&R policing.

Or you might be lucky, the board will be completely reasonable, not perceive your issue as a pissy waste of their over committed time.

I live in La Vita. In a recent board meeting, a number for neighbors issued complaints about the Board denying any customization of the driveways or even slight modifications, such as, a driveway liner.

The argument that the neighbors have made some that the model homes have custom driveways but yet we really not allowed to have driveways approved for customization?

It seems awfully inconsistent. So we have a Board that is represented by 2 Irvine Company representatives and one community members. This doesn't seem like a fair composition. Also, any rational person would find it hard to believe that given this Board composition, that even if your request is a reasonable one, that this Board will give reasonable consideration to approve if they simply don't want to. This driveway example is just an example.

I have lived in Irvine for decades. I believe rules are good but I believe that rational requests deserve better consideration than what they are getting today .

Irvine Inhabitant said:
I live in La Vita. In a recent board meeting, a number for neighbors issued complaints about the Board denying any customization of the driveways or even slight modifications, such as, a driveway liner.

The argument that the neighbors have made some that the model homes have custom driveways but yet we really not allowed to have driveways approved for customization?

It seems awfully inconsistent. So we have a Board that is represented by 2 Irvine Company representatives and one community members. This doesn't seem like a fair composition. Also, any rational person would find it hard to believe that given this Board composition, that even if your request is a reasonable one, that this Board will give reasonable consideration to approve if they simply don't want to. This driveway example is just an example.

I have lived in Irvine for decades. I believe rules are good but I believe that rational requests deserve better consideration than what they are getting today .

The rules shouldn't be too surprising.  Front landscaping was included, so TIC is just trying to maintain a cohesive look to the motorcourt, er Piazza.

"But the model did it" argument never works because the builder is allowed to flout the rules.  Builders always do things that aren't kosher like huge palm trees, patio structures, etc. that the HOA would never allow.

Although I have seen homeowners who've purchased models who were allowed to keep these things even if the HOA told them to rip it out after escrow.

One of the most common CC&R violations in models is the planting of trees within 3' of walls. You'll see 25' tall thin trees between models that provide some beauty and privacy between close houses, but the houses have the standard 5' side yards. Just because the models violate the CC&Rs, doesn't mean the HOA will let you do so.

In La Vita especially, with its shared motor-courts, I can understand not allowing neighbors to make alterations to driveways. This is Irvine, where standard cohesive, maybe boring, exteriors are appreciated.

I don't live in La Vita but we had a meeting a few months after we moved in with the HOA and whoever wanted to attend which went over some landscaping rules. They specifically mentioned that the models do have things that will NOT under ANY circumstances be approved so read the rules carefully.

In addition we wanted an arbor over our bbq and our landscaper told us the city would not approve it with any setback (the model has it). When I asked in the sales office about it, I was told......... oh, yeah, well the models don't necessarily pass city code and we'll probably have to have it removed before we close escrow on the model.

Motorcourts and landscaping that is taken care of by the HOA can under NO circumstances be modified including hardscape.

Since there are only three board members you only need two who are willing to put the issue up to vote or maybe change it (assuming there isn't a master association with a similar rule that is probably going to be just about impossible to get changed).

WTTCHMN said:
Irvine Inhabitant said:

The rules shouldn't be too surprising.  Front landscaping was included, so TIC is just trying to maintain a cohesive look to the motorcourt, er Piazza.

"But the model did it" argument never works because the builder is allowed to flout the rules.  Builders always do things that aren't kosher like huge palm trees, patio structures, etc. that the HOA would never allow.

Although I have seen homeowners who've purchased models who were allowed to keep these things even if the HOA told them to rip it out after escrow.

The builder puts in the models and then makes the rules for the HOA and completely controls the HOA until another board member replaces one of theirs until finally it's run by the actual homeowners but by then landscaping has to be in.

Unfortunately the builder controls ALL the cards in the beginning.

While trying to get ideas for the backyard, I saw some things in the model that didn't look kosher, like tall or big trees close to walls, raised planter walls, a structure blocking the air conditioner.  I'm pretty sure I wouldn't try to get away with those things.

I still could not get past 2 million dollars for mortorcourt homes. I do admit that the interior of La Vita is beautiful, but shared driveway motorcourt is a dead give away that modification is not allow by HOA as it shared and so is condo / town homes shared driveway. It will make your driveway standout from the pack and it may or may not matter to others. Perhaps its just me, but for 2 Mil. I want customize almost everything, including driveway and on my own 10K lot.

Compressed-Village said:
Happiness said:
Most customized driveways are simply a way of displaying the homeowner's bad taste.

I guess you haven't comes across all the good ones.

It's very popular in Strada (OH Village II) to replace and/or tile over the concrete entry walks (in a washed finish) with travertine-looking tile. It feels a bit over-the-top, and very often clashes with the exterior style or stonework of the house.

This is what I think most modified driveways achieve also.

That's the thing I see a lot with FCB mainlader. They choose  or somehow prefer the bland travertine that does not match or complement the evterior of their house and it does look odds. Money can buys many things but it does not buy good taste nor class. I am sure the original poster of this thread will enhance and put in some good stuff for his driveway. But it will face opposition from at least HOA. Why buy motor court. With 2 mil plus budget be on your own lot. This is just me though.

The driveway should have something on it to add some appeal. A plain concrete slab with black tire marks on it sitting against the front of your house is deplorable.

Back