Elderberry at PS

the.irvine said:
There r 3-4 ready to move in homes at EB, which are not selling. Just saw a price reduction notification. What does this mean?

Well, it means they are having trouble finding buyers at their current prices.  If they have standing inventory and it's built out, probably have to start cutting prices to get some traction.

Hi everyone - really appreciating this forum and the help it provides as my family moves into the area.

I am also very curious about the situation at Elderberry. I've been looking into new construction homes in Eastwood, Orchard Hills and PS and am finding that the price per sq ft is much lower in PS.

I'm all for getting more sq footage for my $$, but I want to make sure I understand what I'm giving up. Why is Elderberry (and PS) cheaper than the other villages? I have read some posts about the landfill near PS, that PS is near the toll roads, or that it's just farther from things, but is that enough to explain the difference? I see some people say that they can't smell the landfill anyway, and the toll roads don't seem like they would be an issue imo.

I actually like the PS area... but my biggest problem (which may be others') is the distance.

I know it's relative, but as traffic to that area of Irvine keeps getting worse (because they keep building neighborhoods between PS and everywhere else), it becomes more evident.

If you don't need to worry about 8am or 5pm commute, or work in the Foothill Ranch area, or you work from home, or are retired... PS is actually a nice place to live.

jjcc88 said:
Hi everyone - really appreciating this forum and the help it provides as my family moves into the area.

I am also very curious about the situation at Elderberry. I've been looking into new construction homes in Eastwood, Orchard Hills and PS and am finding that the price per sq ft is much lower in PS.

I'm all for getting more sq footage for my $$, but I want to make sure I understand what I'm giving up. Why is Elderberry (and PS) cheaper than the other villages? I have read some posts about the landfill near PS, that PS is near the toll roads, or that it's just farther from things, but is that enough to explain the difference? I see some people say that they can't smell the landfill anyway, and the toll roads don't seem like they would be an issue imo.

Portola Springs is a pretty large area, so it's probably best to think of the various areas as their own enclaves.  PS5 is definitely "closer" to things than homes on the other side of Portola Parkway (say, for example, PS4), but it's still more remote and discounted accordingly. 

For what it's worth, other neighborhoods with 1.2+ million property aren't moving as fast right now either, perhaps due to the price point.  OH3, which is touted to be the premiere new land in Irvine, is really struggling to move their homes (Lago, Verdi, etc), too. 

It likely won't appreciate as well as other villages, but in the end, it just depends on what you want the most.  If you envision living in the home for a long time, then it shouldn't really matter as much.  The strategy is a bit different, IMO, if you are buying a starter home, with an eye on later buying a move-up home, as appreciation matters more in that instance.

Also keep in mind the area is still being built out.  There's a new K-6 school (that I hear is actually being converted to a K-8 school?) on Modjeska, there's another elementary school opening up on Portola Parkway in 2019, and there's a very large park opening in Fall of 2018 there, too.  So a lot more "unknown" is involved, too.

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/121-Catalonia-92618/home/58552000?utm_source=myredfin&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ios_share&utm_nooverride=1&utm_content=link

This gem just closed at <$400 PSF.  Would u buy this or elderberry?  Are the move in homes in elderberry on Redfin completely upgraded or still need flooring?

bones said:
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/121-Catalonia-92618/home/58552000?utm_source=myredfin&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ios_share&utm_nooverride=1&utm_content=link

This gem just closed at <$400 PSF.  Would u buy this or elderberry?  Are the move in homes in elderberry on Redfin completely upgraded or still need flooring?

I do remember those Catalina homes (I think they were built by TayMo?) struggled mightily when they were on the market.  I'd say the Elderberry homes are a bit better located in that they're further away from the Toll and closer to Irvine Blvd.

bones said:
Are the move in homes in elderberry on Redfin completely upgraded or still need flooring?

They are fully upgraded.

The biggest issue with these houses is the very small backyard. Accross the street almost all house sold straight away but backyards are at least twice bigger.

KB doesn?t seem to be worried about the unsold inventory because they keep releasing new phases. And these seem to be selling okay. I guess when you can buy the same house with the same backyard but put your own options, it more desirable.

Cal Pac just installed some signage on the right when you enter PS5 and they?ve started working on the slabs. I?m not sure which development is going there, probably an extension of one of their PS3 development.

Burn That Belly said:
paperboyNC said:
Good work B2B, but your 6min is from PS3. PS1 is Arrowhead@Portola (Lomas Valley Park)

eh, ok mr PC. ;D I tend to bunch you all PS guys in the same basket of adorables. If we start from arrowhead, its 1 more minute off.

9 min drive in my M5 is not that big of a deal.

The Cal Pac development is called Montara (tract 17965). Didn?t notice the name on the signs at first.

marmott said:
The Cal Pac development is called Montara (tract 17965). Didn?t notice the name on the signs at first.

the sales office told me they are going to build silverleaf clones in PS5A. this could be it.

firsttimehomebuyer said:
marmott said:

the sales office told me they are going to build silverleaf clones in PS5A. this could be it.

Interesting that they wouldn't just call it a Silverleaf extension, kind of like how Brookfield just called it the Legado extension.  Maybe the plans will be somewhat different.

Back