Eastwood Village Petaluma options

OCVillager said:
Hello all,

This is my first post.
It's time for our options/upgrades selection for Petaluma Residence 1 at  Eastwood. We are planning to stay within budget and after reading many posts on this forum, we have a better idea of what to get from Builder/Design Center and what to get from outside after COE. Before I ask others to provide their opinions, I would mention the upgrades we are looking for from Builder: whole house Cabinets upgrade, pre-wire for fan/light with dimmer switch in great room and bedrooms, counter top in kitchen, water softener hook in garage. Will get our standard flooring with carpet/tile and planning to upgrade after may be a year or two to all tile.
I'm planning to get recessed lights on 1st floor bedrooms, reverse osmosis system setup, custom paints, window coverings done by outside contractor after closing. 
Did anyone in this forum go through the process for Petaluma homes and others also please recommend any upgrades and outside contractor names. Thanks in advance. 

Do the cans with the builder too, especially the first floor.

OCVillager said:
Hello all,

This is my first post.
It's time for our options/upgrades selection for Petaluma Residence 1 at  Eastwood. We are planning to stay within budget and after reading many posts on this forum, we have a better idea of what to get from Builder/Design Center and what to get from outside after COE. Before I ask others to provide their opinions, I would mention the upgrades we are looking for from Builder: whole house Cabinets upgrade, pre-wire for fan/light with dimmer switch in great room and bedrooms, counter top in kitchen, water softener hook in garage. Will get our standard flooring with carpet/tile and planning to upgrade after may be a year or two to all tile.
I'm planning to get recessed lights on 1st floor bedrooms, reverse osmosis system setup, custom paints, window coverings done by outside contractor after closing. 
Did anyone in this forum go through the process for Petaluma homes and others also please recommend any upgrades and outside contractor names. Thanks in advance. 

What are your thoughts regarding the trailers across the street?

Do the paint later if you can, or yourself. I think the price comes out better, and you get much better options, like semi gloss near wet areas.

OCVillager said:
I'm planning to custom paint after closing using 3rd party...Also, we are thinking of getting the "Additional Insulation" option for around $2000. Though it's a personal preference, is anyone here with practical experience with insulation helping reduce noise levels? I feel the upstairs running and kids playing and of course (toilet flushes) noisy and annoying...And I'm not sure if it adds any resale value to the home. Thanks.

i have never seen anyone bought a home because it has extra insulation in. also, isn't it between the walls and not the floors? petaluma isn't a huge home with huge energy cost. i can't imagine the extra benefit you'll get from 2k into this option (of which you'll be paying property tax on forever). whatever supposed energy savings benefit you may have gleam from it will be eaten away IMO.

btw i echo others that for the ceiling cans you should just go with the builders (even if third party is cheaper) - especially if its for 1st floor option (i know you corrected later with it being the 2nd floor)

The extra insulation is in the interior walls and 2nd floor. It's not for energy, it's meant for sound insulation.

acf said:
The extra insulation is in the interior walls and 2nd floor. It's not for energy, it's meant for sound insulation.

i was told that it was for sound/energy but i was skeptical of both benefit. thanks for letting me know

maybe someone that has forked over the money for it can chime in. i can see how it may benefit with a smaller sq ft home where noise easily travels/spread thru the home. i sure as heck hear my daughter running around well enough.

That optional interior insulation is highly recommended.  It's not sound proofing but it certainly will reduce the sound travel in between those otherwise, hollow walls.  Obviously there's no actual benefit in energy  conservation for this interior wall insulation, but the biggest benefit is for sound reduction. 

Of all the hightly mark up upgrades offer by the builders, this is actually one of few reasonable priced option they offer.  I'd recommend to get it. 

I always wonder if they will renovate that Zion Market plaza that's across the street from Eastwood. Maybe update it to something newer like WTC.

acf said:
I always wonder if they will renovate that Zion Market plaza that's across the street from Eastwood. Maybe update it to something newer like WTC.

i believe that's non Irvine co owned property.

OCVillager said:
I saw the strip mall on Yale/Irvine blvd. I was thinking towards the Jeffrey/Irvine blvd intersection and trying to see if anyone knows of any new shopping complex development.

I think the closest would be irvine blvd/sand canyon the Ralphs/Trader Joes one OR Culver/Portola which is dead...for now.

Back