Earthquake insurance

bones said:
irvinehomeowner said:
bones said:
You can use this calculator to check the premiums.  http://www.earthquakeauthority.com/Pages/Calc.aspx

I used the same parameters as my current policy for 92620 and the premium was $1000/year. 
So how did you get yours so cheap? Add-on to your home policy?

I don't live in 92620. When I did, I didn't have an earthquake policy.
Oh... missed that. So if you use your current zip code, it drops down to only $200 per year.

That's insane. I think if any big one hits... all of Irvine gets San Andreas'ed.

irvinehomeowner said:
Oh... missed that. So if you use your current zip code, it drops down to only $200 per year.

That's insane. I think if any big one hits... all of Irvine gets San Andreas'ed.

For whatever reason the CEA has determined that 92620 (Woodbury) has 5X the earthquake risk as 92618 (Woodbury East). Probably made more sense back when 92618 was all south of the Great Park.

I bought ours through State Farm and it was around $600 in 92782 (Tustin Ranch) for a 1,800 square feet home.

paperboyNC said:
irvinehomeowner said:

For whatever reason the CEA has determined that 92620 (Woodbury) has 5X the earthquake risk as 92618 (Woodbury East). Probably made more sense back when 92618 was all south of the Great Park.

I moved from Woodbury to GP and was pleasantly surprised by this.  I'm paying like $160/yr for my insurance now.  Never got it back in Woodbury as it was about $700/yr.  Don't tell the CEA about the zip code creep please!

Does earthquake risk make you not want to own a rental? If you had a rental for next 25 years, decent odds you may face substantial earthquake damage. Insurance costs $ and still doesn't totally protect you.

For ex, after northridge, many in la Canada (25 mi away) had to do large repairs. Some decided to rebuilt. Prices eventually went up since that was early 90s, but costs can be big even if you're 25+ mi away.

Back