Eames Chair

Chairman

What are people's thoughts on the Eames chair? Is Design Within Reach a good place to buy an original? Any of you into buying replicas? Also they are having a 15% off sale starting tomorrow.

Nice Chair!  It's good looking and supper comfy.  Only thing that stop me from getting one is the price.

04624358f825e06c15055fd38808f397_zpsd8c20795.jpg

That's one expensive chair!  I'll wait for the easy life knockoff

You guys like the black or white leather? What matches best with white cabinets, grey wall paint, and medium grey flooring? :)

irvinehomeowner said:
White leather (white white... not off white) is pretty nice actually.

Classy... could dirty easier though. I'm leaning towards the black to have more contrast <shrug>

ps9 said:
So Chairman, do you have a thing for chairs? :)

Just started casually browsing for furniture. I definitely have an appreciation for well designed pieces. Too bad what I like is also expensive! I am going to check out the consignment store in Irvine. Can anyone confirm you can find decent stuff there?

Chairman said:
You guys like the black or white leather? What matches best with white cabinets, grey wall paint, and medium grey flooring? :)

I'm not a fan of the chair whatsoever but with the color scheme mentioned, the white chair would go better, imho. The reason is because the base of the chair provides enough warmth to "ground" the grey & white room and give the eye a place to rest. I agree with you that contrast is a good thing but I'd only go with the black if you are planning on pulling more warm tones into the room with other decor that would repeat the shades of the chair. Otherwise, the black chair is just going to look too heavy in the room. Contrast, imo, is better accomplished with a lighter item on a darker background (ex: white dishes and a white vase in a grey cabinet) than it is with a large, bulky dark item or swaths of dark in a light room (ex: black bedding on a white wall) and is best when broken up. So, if you're dead set on the black, I'd consider putting a light colored or white throw on it. And yes, each color can come in a cool or warm so if your white or grey are warmer then maybe that's a different story but the same rules generally apply.

Depending on the leather (bonded?)... it should actually be pretty dirt resistant.

After white leather, I would get brown or chocolate... black is just too dark... I think it would shrink the room.

It's your money, spend it however you like.  Everyone has a threshold for what they consider too expensive.  I don't begrudge you for wanting that chair.  Some ppl think spending $250 for a pair of designer jeans is crazy.  Or a $7000 TV.  Or a $500 bottle of wine.  Or $100k for a car.  It all depends on one's perceived value.  Most everyone overspends on something they really want and there's nothing wrong with it...unless you can't afford it, then that's a whole different discussion.

OCgasman said:
It's your money, spend it however you like.  Everyone has a threshold for what they consider too expensive.  I don't begrudge you for wanting that chair.  Some ppl think spending $250 for a pair of designer jeans is crazy.  Or a $7000 TV.  Or a $500 bottle of wine.  Or $100k for a car.  It all depends on one's perceived value.  Most everyone overspends on something they really want and there's nothing wrong with it...unless you can't afford it, then that's a whole different discussion.

Hookers for $1,000/hour

qwerty said:
OCgasman said:

Hookers for $1,000/hour

That's outrageous...$500 is the Vegas rate...i wouldn't go a penny more.

http://www.ebates.com/search/all.htm?query=office%5Cd&position=submit&type=suggest&store_name=office+designs
http://www.officedesigns.com

Ebates has 3% cash back for Office Designs

Office Designs has 15% off for HM sale, no tax, and free shipping

Best price I came across.

Happy shopping!

Good Choice, I want to get one of the chair too, but still saving money.. ;D  HM sale always has sale through out the year... so ...  I am not rush into purchase one yet..

Back