DUI causes chain-reaction crash on I-5 transition in Irvine

WTTCHMN

Wonder if there is dashcam video.

Man killed after driver suspected of DUI causes chain-reaction crash on I-5 transition in Irvine

Dec. 3, 2015 Updated 9:04 a.m.

By ALYSSA DURANTY / STAFF WRITER

IRVINE ? A man died early Thursday morning after a series of crashes that started with a man suspected of driving drunk swerving over lanes on the transition from the southbound I-5 to the 133 toll road, officials said.

California Highway Patrol officials were alerted to the crash scene at 5:13 a.m. after a man driving in a black Dodge Charger swerved across several lanes while attempting to transition from the southbound I-5 to the 133 toll road, CHP Officer Florentino Olivera said.

?The driver in the Charger said he got hit by a big-rig which caused him to swerve,? Olivera said.

The driver of the Dodge Charger was interviewed and arrested on suspicion of DUI. His name was not released, but authorities said this was his second DUI arrest.

As the man swerved, he drove in front of a 39-year-old man driving a white SUV, causing a crash that sent the Dodge Charger into the guard rail and then stopping horizontally into lanes of traffic.

Officials said the SUV driver stopped about 100 feet south of the Dodge Charger before he got out of his car and walked over to talk to the other man.

After a brief discussion, the SUV driver began calling someone on his phone and he stopped near his SUV on the highway, standing behind the vehicle, Olivera said.

At that time, a man driving a Nissan 240SX drove onto the transition and swerved when he saw the Dodge Charger blocking lanes.

?The driver in the black Nissan over-corrected to avoid hitting the Charger,? Olivera said.

When the Nissan driver swerved, he slammed into the SUV driver standing in the road, launching him over the guardrail, where he fell 50 feet and died.

His name was not immediately released.

Finally, a man driving a white Camry drove onto the transition and crashed when he failed to avoid the Dodge in the roadway. The Camry driver was hospitalized at Orange County Global Medical Center in Santa Ana and expected to survive his injuries, Olivera said.

CHP officials closed the southbound I-5 transition to the 133 toll road during the investigation and were able to reopen lanes around 8:45 a.m.

WTTCHMN said:
?The driver in the black Nissan over-corrected to avoid hitting the Charger,? Olivera said.

When the Nissan driver swerved, he slammed into the SUV driver standing in the road, launching him over the guardrail, where he fell 50 feet and died.

That just sucks! 

That SUV driver survived the initial crash and only if he would stay in the car or stand clear of the road then thing could end a lot differently. :mad:

RIP man.

This lag of I-5 is quite a hazard. With a major turn, complex transitions, exits and drivers occasionally overcorrect to change lanes when they saw "Toll Road" signs.

In this case, who will likely be charged with the death of the driver?  The DUI driver or the driver of the 240SX who over-corrected?  What if the suspected DUI driver was cleared of DUI?

irvinehusky said:
In this case, who will likely be charged with the death of the driver?  The DUI driver or the driver of the 240SX who over-corrected?  What if the suspected DUI driver was cleared of DUI?

Probably neither. Will be ruled accidental.

Back