Drought tolerant, low maintenance, small tree

Irvine_Dreamer said:
To continue w/ questions on tree, what do you recommend for drought tolerant, low maintenance, small tree for front yard?

It depends on what look you're going for. A dragon tree is low maintenance and quite a specimen tree, but can get quite expensive when you get into more than a several-foot sized tree.

Crepe Myrtles are small flowering trees, have decent fall color, drought tolerant.

Small immature olive trees are relatively slow growing, drought tolerant, but I personally don't care for their look (I like the look of the field-grown olive trees).

Magnolia trees are slow growing, although I consider them boring.

Podocarpus is versatile, can be used as a hedge or as a stand-alone tree.

If your community allows citrus trees in front, that might be a consideration as well.

I'm a big fan of Chinese Pistache trees. Spectacular fall color.

NYT said:
It depends on what look you're going for. A dragon tree is low maintenance and quite a specimen tree, but can get quite expensive when you get into more than a several-foot sized tree.

Crepe Myrtles are small flowering trees, have decent fall color, drought tolerant.

Small immature olive trees are relatively slow growing, drought tolerant, but I personally don't care for their look (I like the look of the field-grown olive trees).

Magnolia trees are slow growing, although I consider them boring.

Podocarpus is versatile, can be used as a hedge or as a stand-alone tree.

If your community allows citrus trees in front, that might be a consideration as well.

I'm a big fan of Chinese Pistache trees. Spectacular fall color.
I'm little tired of seeing Crepe myrtles. 
It seems like they're everywhere. 
Plus, I don't like to clean up flower mess under the tree.
But wow that Chinese Pistache looks fantastic.
Only problem is that it's little too big for our front yard.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Very true about the Crepe Myrtles- they seems to be everywhere.

When we did our landscaping, the master gardener had us go around and take pictures of landscapes we like so that she had an idea of kinds of landscaping/modern/tuscan, etc.  We loved the landscaping over in Irvine Terrace in Newport.  More modern, lots of aeoniums, etc.

After seeing what we liked, she presented us with 3 different plans all based on different color schemes.  We asked for drought tolerant/waterwise.

The trees for the three plans were olive, arbitus marina (strawberry tree- has an interesting reddish bark with green leaves), and Agonis Flexuosa "After Dark" (peppermint tree).  That is an evergreen tree (leaves don't fall) and the leaves are marroon. 

We ultimately liked the color scheme of trees with maroon leaves and green hedges with lots of green/purple aeoniums.  When we went to the nursery to pick the trees, there just wasn't available the size of tree (min 24" box) for the agonis tree- and I needed 2 of them.  Because these are front trees, I didn't want leaves falling- but then I saw a Cercis occidentalis (Western Redbud).  The leaves are purple and heart shaped.  They flower in the spring.  It's a beautiful tree and even when the leaves are dropped, the branch formation is very pretty.  So we went with 2 of those.

We also have a Smoke Tree in our front yard as well (our lot size is around 9000 sq feet-- we also have a guava tree in front)- I don't know how small you want to go- but the smoketree is also a pretty tree with maroon-ish leaves

abcd1234 said:
Very true about the Crepe Myrtles- they seems to be everywhere.

When we did our landscaping, the master gardener had us go around and take pictures of landscapes we like so that she had an idea of kinds of landscaping/modern/tuscan, etc.  We loved the landscaping over in Irvine Terrace in Newport.  More modern, lots of aeoniums, etc.

After seeing what we liked, she presented us with 3 different plans all based on different color schemes.  We asked for drought tolerant/waterwise.

The trees for the three plans were olive, arbitus marina (strawberry tree- has an interesting reddish bark with green leaves), and Agonis Flexuosa "After Dark" (peppermint tree).  That is an evergreen tree (leaves don't fall) and the leaves are marroon. 

We ultimately liked the color scheme of trees with maroon leaves and green hedges with lots of green/purple aeoniums.  When we went to the nursery to pick the trees, there just wasn't available the size of tree (min 24" box) for the agonis tree- and I needed 2 of them.  Because these are front trees, I didn't want leaves falling- but then I saw a Cercis occidentalis (Western Redbud).  The leaves are purple and heart shaped.  They flower in the spring.  It's a beautiful tree and even when the leaves are dropped, the branch formation is very pretty.  So we went with 2 of those.

We also have a Smoke Tree in our front yard as well (our lot size is around 9000 sq feet-- we also have a guava tree in front)- I don't know how small you want to go- but the smoketree is also a pretty tree with maroon-ish leaves
My lot size is nowhere close to yours.  W/ 9000 ft lot, TIC will try to fit in three new homes.

I don't think I've ever seen Cercis and smoke tree before, but they do look very interesting.  Too bad that they're not on the list of trees I can plant.
Strawberry tree is my current choice, if I can't find a better one.

Thanks

Tyler Durden said:
You have to determine if you want an evergreen or deciduous tree.

Crepe Myrtles will drop their leaves in the fall / winter.

You could go with something like an Oak tree, if you wanted it to get to a large size.
Well, I do want evergreen, but not an oak, because it gets way too big.

Irvine_Dreamer said:
I don't think I've ever seen Cercis and smoke tree before, but they do look very interesting.  Too bad that they're not on the list of trees I can plant.

Thanks

Usually, just because it's not on the pre-approved list of trees doesn't mean you can't have it. But you do have to call it out the tree variety on the plans you submit to the HOA to see if it gets approval. I got approval for a Japanese maple in my back yard, and a Chinese pistache in front, even though neither were on the pre-approved list. That said, I've seen a number of homes disregard the plant lists completely. I wanted a Palo verde tree in my front (not on the pre-approved list), but it was nixed by the HOA. Yet, there's a house in my neighborhood that has a huge palo verde tree in front. I don't think they got approval. I wonder how the HOA will deal with that.

I don't think olive trees are a good choice, because they drop olives ... don't they?  Unless you have a gardener who is keeping everything clean for you  ;)

NYT said:
Irvine_Dreamer said:

Thanks

Usually, just because it's not on the pre-approved list of trees doesn't mean you can't have it. But you do have to call it out the tree variety on the plans you submit to the HOA to see if it gets approval. I got approval for a Japanese maple in my back yard, and a Chinese pistache in front, even though neither were on the pre-approved list. That said, I've seen a number of homes disregard the plant lists completely. I wanted a Palo verde tree in my front (not on the pre-approved list), but it was nixed by the HOA. Yet, there's a house in my neighborhood that has a huge palo verde tree in front. I don't think they got approval. I wonder how the HOA will deal with that.

NYT - which variety of Japanese maple did you get approval for? And what was the necessary setback? Thanks!

whome said:
NYT said:
Irvine_Dreamer said:

Thanks

NYT - which variety of Japanese maple did you get approval for? And what was the necessary setback? Thanks!

On our plans, we just called it "Acer Palmatum". It's planted in our courtyard, a couple of feet away from the house, not near any other structures.

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-13%20at%2012.42.00%20PM_zpsqhsmjoub.png

NYT said:
whome said:
NYT said:
Irvine_Dreamer said:

Thanks

On our plans, we just called it "Acer Palmatum". It's planted in our courtyard, a couple of feet away from the house, not near any other structures.

Thanks NYT! That's the one we are planning on - the bloodgood variety (which is the most common). I hope the HOA approves it. *fingers crossed*

whome said:
NYT said:
whome said:
NYT said:
Irvine_Dreamer said:

Thanks

Thanks NYT! That's the one we are planning on - the bloodgood variety (which is the most common). I hope the HOA approves it. *fingers crossed*

Bloodgood is a good variety, I have a couple in my side yard in front of windows and it's mostly shade there with a bit of morning sun. They do well and look nice. The main one I have in my courtyard gets a lot of sun, but I keep it well-watered and it seems to tolerate the sun with only a bit of leaf burn. I'd recommend not putting a Japanese maple in full sun. You will get leaf burn. That said, consider the Osakazuki variety, which is a green-leafed variety that tolerates sun quite well and has one of the best fall color displays amongst Japanese maples. If you go to nurseries in Feb/March, that's when they have the most selection. I've bought mine from Green Thumb Nursery off El Toro. They have a ton of varieties, esp at that time of year. Home Depot/Lowe's only carry a few varieties at that time of year.

NYT said:
whome said:
NYT said:
whome said:
NYT said:
Irvine_Dreamer said:

Thanks

Bloodgood is a good variety, I have a couple in my side yard in front of windows and it's mostly shade there with a bit of morning sun. They do well and look nice. The main one I have in my courtyard gets a lot of sun, but I keep it well-watered and it seems to tolerate the sun with only a bit of leaf burn. I'd recommend not putting a Japanese maple in full sun. You will get leaf burn. That said, consider the Osakazuki variety, which is a green-leafed variety that tolerates sun quite well and has one of the best fall color displays amongst Japanese maples. If you go to nurseries in Feb/March, that's when they have the most selection. I've bought mine from Green Thumb Nursery off El Toro. They have a ton of varieties, esp at that time of year. Home Depot/Lowe's only carry a few varieties at that time of year.

Thanks so much NYT. Is the one in the courtyard also bloodgood? I was looking at some other varieties like the dwarf shaina and fire glow. But since we are getting the plants and tree directly from the landscaper and he didn't have those, we decided to stick with the bloodgood. He did have access to Emperor which I have also heard good things about. I should check with him on Osakazuki - I didn't check with him on that one. It does look gorgeous. Thanks for the rec.
Does bloodgood stay red most of the year (when not shedding that is). Is it redder during fall?

Our backyard faces north which doesn't get much full sun. We are planning on planting it in the northwest corner. So hopefully, it won't get full sun. *fingers crossed*

Japanese maples are such a gorgeous species. It made me regret our tiny backyard, since we can really have only one tree..

whome said:
NYT said:
whome said:
NYT said:
whome said:
NYT said:
Irvine_Dreamer said:

Thanks

Thanks so much NYT. Is the one in the courtyard also bloodgood? I was looking at some other varieties like the dwarf shaina and fire glow. But since we are getting the plants and tree directly from the landscaper and he didn't have those, we decided to stick with the bloodgood. He did have access to Emperor which I have also heard good things about. I should check with him on Osakazuki - I didn't check with him on that one. It does look gorgeous. Thanks for the rec.
Does bloodgood stay red most of the year (when not shedding that is). Is it redder during fall?

Our backyard faces north which doesn't get much full sun. We are planning on planting it in the northwest corner. So hopefully, it won't get full sun. *fingers crossed*

Japanese maples are such a gorgeous species. It made me regret our tiny backyard, since we can really have only one tree..

I prefer the green Japanese maples (non-fall season, that is). The bloodgood tends to be redder the more sun it has, greener with red tinge to leaves in shade. I actually don't know the variety of my tree in the courtyard. All I told my landscaper was I wanted a green variety. Kinda regret not choosing one I knew myself. Here's the tree now as of today; it's about twice as large as it was when it was planted 2 years ago.

IMG_8589_zpsxcpxrvnx.jpg

Back