Drive way space?

I would like to add that I recently went to the model homes in Auburn $1million+ in Stonegate and I was surprised to see the same 2 car garage size in all the smaller homes in stonegate.  I was half expecting a 3 car garage or at least a wider 2 car garage. Weirddddd  :eek:

They need to make the garages just a little wider.  Would like to open our doors without banging into stuff.  lol

I really don't get how people could spend money at that price point for such small lots. It shouldn't even be allowed to make a home that size on that small of a lot. Looks like there is no privacy in that back yard. I don't follow that market cause it is way beyond my price point, but I just couldn't spend that kind of money on a house like that. It just doesn't seem worth it for the cost / benefit. 

Of course I often times think the same thing over most everything I see in Irvine at the price points they are at, but the higher you go, the higher my general expectations. I'm just delusional though. 

Bullsback said:
I really don't get how people could spend money at that price point for such small lots. It shouldn't even be allowed to make a home that size on that small of a lot. Looks like there is no privacy in that back yard. I don't follow that market cause it is way beyond my price point, but I just couldn't spend that kind of money on a house like that. It just doesn't seem worth it for the cost / benefit. 

Of course I often times think the same thing over most everything I see in Irvine at the price points they are at, but the higher you go, the higher my general expectations. I'm just delusional though.

I couldnt agree more.  You are not delusional, the people accepting these homes at these prices are delusional.  At 2.7M, you should have a driveway that comfortably fits four cars.  Sadly this driveway doesnt even fit one...

maybe pic is deceiving.  He probably has to pull that big car up to the front of garage.  I'm sure they can fit two on there easy.  It's tight but it fits two.

The Range Rover fits on this driveway. It's just standard Orchard Hills practice, at least in my neighborhood, to park your car five-plus feet from the garage door extending your car's rear-end into the sidewalk. The people doing this have cars with sensors that will inform them when they're sufficiently close to the garage door. I have no idea why they park this way, much less why they don't park their cars in the garage rather than the driveway.

Perspective said:
The Range Rover fits on this driveway. It's just standard Orchard Hills practice, at least in my neighborhood, to park your car five-plus feet from the garage door extending your car's rear-end into the sidewalk. The people doing this have cars with sensors that will inform them when they're sufficiently close to the garage door. I have no idea why they park this way, much less why they don't park their cars in the garage rather than the driveway.

Isn't that a ticket if they park on the sidewalk?

peppy said:
Perspective said:

Isn't that a ticket if they park on the sidewalk?

It violates our CC&Rs, and if you call the HOA, the security team will come by and ticket the car.

Perspective said:
I have no idea why they park this way, much less why they don't park their cars in the garage rather than the driveway.

Oh!  I can answer this! As a person who makes an effort to use his two car garage to park two cars inside of, I've wondered about and discussed this with others at length.

"Why they don't park their cars in the garage"
-- Some combination of
1) Some people treat their garages like a storage unit instead of a parking port, so there's no room in the garage for 1 or 2 cars.
2) The builder squeezes every last sqft of advertisable living space out of the lots.  One of the ways they do this is making the garage as small as possible.  It's difficult to park two full sized cars or SUVs comfortably in these tiny, yet *legal*, garages, especially if there's anything in the garage like cabinets, shelves, work benches, water treatment equipment, etc

"I have no idea why they park this way"
-- I've found it boils down to one of the following:
1) They are blissfully unaware of the effect their choices have on their neighbors and their visitors
2) They have rationalized their conscious decision to park like this.  "I paid for the driveway and sidewalk (via upfront house cost and HOA dues), I can use it how I want"  "No one told me not to so it's okay"  "I choose not to follow rules that inconvenience me"  "It's someone else's fault I can't park the car in the garage", etc

tldr: some people just dgaf

Perspective said:
It's just standard Orchard Hills practice, at least in my neighborhood, to park your car five-plus feet from the garage door extending your car's rear-end into the sidewalk. The people doing this have cars with sensors that will inform them when they're sufficiently close to the garage door. I have no idea why they park this way, much less why they don't park their cars in the garage rather than the driveway.

Maybe they are used to the old-school swing out garage doors. :)

Perspective said:

Oh! Maybe it's the sensor thing. I had some neighbors in my old tract that ALWAYS parked over the sidewalk even though it was a clear violation of the CC&Rs and there were multiple write-ups in the newsletters regarding fines for doing so.

I can say it's difficult to park 2 cars in a 2 car garage. We do our own gardening so we have garden tools, extra dirt/potting soil, soil additives, etc. Bikes stay in the garage and I do not want them on the ceiling.

I know there are some garages that got some extra space if the area was taken as a suite which provides space for cabinets. We didn't have that option and space is very limited.

We're hoping after all the pots are out of the garage and in the yard and our cabinets are in to fit both cars again but its a very tight fit.

Its hard to say with the pictures, but im sure this car "fits" if he pulled all the way up to the garage with barely any space in front of the car.  The point was that its ridiculous that you have to park so specifically to leave little to no space between the car and garage in order to fit your car on the drive way.  If you want to fit two cars side by side on the driveway, its the same issue.  Again, 2.7M and you have to be careful how you park so that you are not protruding into the sidewalk?  Ridiculous.  Oh and I love the front yard on this 2.7M dollar house.  Have we all lost our mind thinking that this is ok for a 2.7M dollar house?

Back