Don't hold your breadth for the Great Park development

What a waste of money the Great Park project is. I have been an Irvine resident since 2004 and after 7 years all we got is a visitor center, a balloon, a carousel, farmer's market and a parking lot. For any one who is buying homes in Irvine, you will be paying for this giant money sucker indirectly, while the non-home debtors can enjoy the balloon and carousel rides for free.

you would be able to hear the planes from woodbury, but not sure it would kill desireability

test said:
rickr said:
http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-newton-column-great-park-20110521,0,6324772.column

I did not know there was a debate on making it into an airport. That would have killed Woodbury, Stonegate, Portola Springs desirability.

No, it wouldn't.  The planes would fly over the Spectrum area and the hills to the north.

heh, do you actually read anything before you post?

why would the planes fly north (over the spectrum), then east?

during the 'Great Park' debate, it was written many times that planes would take off westward, as they do at SNA, towards quail hill (and now laguna altura).  If the winds reversed, as during santa ana winds, they would take off eastward, into the mountains (where the military crashed a few planes doing so over the years) .

freedomcm said:
test said:
rickr said:
http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-newton-column-great-park-20110521,0,6324772.column

I did not know there was a debate on making it into an airport. That would have killed Woodbury, Stonegate, Portola Springs desirability.

No, it wouldn't.  The planes would fly over the Spectrum area and the hills to the north.

heh, do you actually read anything before you post?

why would the planes fly north (over the spectrum), then east?

during the 'Great Park' debate, it was written many times that planes would take off westward, as they do at SNA, towards quail hill (and now laguna altura).  If the winds reversed, as during santa ana winds, they would take off eastward, into the mountains (where the military crashed a few planes doing so over the years) .

heh, do you actually check your compass before you post?

So, 75 to 100 years to complete The Great Park huh? If I'm still alive, it'll be a sight to see and a testament to medical technology.

I remember before the bubble my wife and I had mapped out areas in OC we definitely wanted to keep an eye on to buy a house in the future.

One of our hot-spots was any area that borders The Great Park as we considered that purchasing there, especially prior to its completion, would only increase the value of the property once it was done. We attended a few of the events there, including the opening weekend of the balloon which included an overview of The Great Park vision, and the ice skating rink last winter.

Over the years of renting in Irvine, and reading all the promotional materials that have ended up in my mailbox over those years, we've pretty much concluded that The Great Park is just your average failed government experiment in trying to do something that is well beyond its capabilities (you know...stuff best left to the private sector). Between the waste, the inefficiency, the political posturing, the fraud, the fact that we can expect this project to be run as efficiently and under-budget as other popular government experiments like the Postal Service, Amtrak and Medicare all point to its impending and utterly pathetic whimpering failure.

And of course, there will be nobody to blame. Fingers will get pointed, stones will be thrown and glass will be broken but not a single person or group will ever be spotlighted as the cause of failure. It will be blamed on amorphous concepts like a failing economy, failure to "reach-across-the-aisle" as it relates to local politics, the state cutting funds (why should people in Modesto, Eureka and Santa Maria be paying for our park in Irvine anyway?) the Tea Party, terrorism, failure to approve more stimulus funding, the weather, gold prices, increased demand in China and India or Donald Trump.

Now I read in that article that Politician (pardon my French) Larry Agran claims a great park takes 75 to 100 years to complete. It doesn't matter that he claims it can be done in 25 years or so. I don't remember any of THOSE timelines in the original propaganda material and by saying it can take up to 100 years, Irvine just gave itself a 100 year margin of error.

Another reason why...Big Government fails...and yet another reason (for us personally) to look outside of Irvine for a house even though we love renting here.

The one thing that the Great Park should always be remembered for is for killing off creating a full service airport at the El Toro Marine Base. Don't know how many of you recall how loud the military jets were, or how loud the airport tests were with the commercial jets they used to showcase the noise mitigation at ET. An airport at El Toro would have killed our quality of life. I thank God every day that project was strangled in its crib.

The Great Park also is delayed due to the Great Housing Bubble. The GP was supposed to be funded by all of the development surrounding the park - most of which are mothballed for the foreseeable future. Had those housing units been built, the GP would be much more than what it is today.

I'm not arguing that they could have moved this along further than where they are today. The alternative uses for that land though is what will make the Great Park area truly great.

sgip, so we know for sure there will be no airport there? I think that is definitely important info. It will be  a disaster if there was an airport in the area.

I'm with SGIP, even if my great grandkids never see a Great Park model home... that's a good trade for the alternative... which I am made aware of daily since I am in proximity to SNA.

The only jets I want to see at El Toro would be if it were a football team.

Does anyone have the old El Toro proposed flight path maps with the noise measurements?  I remember seeing it years ago.

The Cities of Irvine and Lake Forest have already re-zoned some of the areas needed for an Airport of significance to exist at El Toro for use as housing.

An Airport at El Toro is as likely as having a functioning Zeppelin base at Tustin Fields. The un-Led'ed kind of course....  ;) 

Back