Do you need to seal wood tile? or just seal the grout?

pjs4x4

Getting wood tile done and plan on sealing the grout lines with 511 porous plus. However, I was wondering if I need to seal the wood tile as well or just do the grout lines?  Also, how much sealer do I need to get? Home is about 1,400 sq feet and wood tile is in most of the house except the bedrooms. I know I need to seal the shower/bath tiles and granite counters as well. Will I be okay with 1 gallon or will I need several gallons? This is my first time sealing so I don't have any experience.

Thanks for the feedback.

Just the grout.  Most ceramic tile is pretty bulletproof and can be mopped or cleaned easily.  I've had both wood and tile with kids, tile is way easier but grout is annoying to clean, regardless of how thin the grout line is. 

If you have kids, go with a dark wood tile and a dark-ish grout. 

USCTrojanCPA said:
Get epoxy grout...it's a lot more durable and stain resistant.

I don't think that was an option when i picked out flooring.  Thanks you for the tip though.

I found it easier to just apply to everything when I was sealing.  I used 511 throughout our home.  Applying to just the grout seems painful, when you could swab a whole area including the tile and wipe off a few minutes later. 

Back