Do I need to pull permits to upgrade kitchen/bath/floor/paint?

homer_simpson said:
What kind of carpet do the builders provide you?  Is there a choice?

I haven't gotten that far into the design stages yet but I know I get to upgrade the carpet through the builder, not that I'd want to. I don't know what kind of carpet comes with the house but I heard from the designer that it is a very basic kind that's not stain resistant, with standard thickness and basically nothing to be excited about. So I plan on getting a carpet guy to change that out after I move in.

USCTrojanCPA said:
funkychalupa said:
uciguy said:
Many things can be done after closing, but I would seriously consider doing your shower/plumbing through iPac.  The cost of demolition for tile is much higher than ripping out carpet, and the possibility that something goes wrong is not trivial.  Plus, you are going to void your warranty for everything related to it.  Do you really want to be on the hook if you find out that water is leaking out from your shower and has rotted all of the wood any drywall beneath it?

I have a design meeting with IPac coming up this weekend and will get a realistic estimate on how much it would cost to get the same type of bathroom/kitchen upgrade with the builder. At the same time I've already collected a few bids from 3rd party contractors and design shops. I will be happy to post my numbers once I find out.

I have ready a lot about others' poor experience with the builder. Their logic is definitely valid. My game plan right now is to let the builder deal with all the electrical/wiring/lighting/plumbing/insulation related items only in order to keep the cost/benefit ration at the optimal. I also understand the warranty issue. About that, I can only say that even if I look for an outside contractor/designer, I better find a credible provider through references and careful planning/execution. There's no guarantee in this type of business. It's all about risk mitigation, damage control and cost/benefit ratio.

FYI, I would definitely love to have Paris come do some of my homework.
I think you have a pretty good game plan.  I've told my new home buyers to go through the builder when it comes to structural, lighting, cabinet upgrades, and/or significant upgrades like major electrical and plumbing items.  It's the cosmetic stuff like flooring, paint, fixtures, baseboards, built-ins, crown moldings, window coverings, etc that you can get much better pricing from 3rd party reputable contractors.  Keep us posted on your progress.

I heard that builders will still rip-you off for lighting/wiring options.  A friend of mine had recessed cans put in all of the bedrooms in his house and said it was MUCH cheaper than going through the builder.  Sure you have to cut drywall and run wires after the fact, but it is not complicated.  He was happy with the results.  I do agree on all other things that are more "permanent" like cabinetry.

akim997 said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
funkychalupa said:
uciguy said:
Many things can be done after closing, but I would seriously consider doing your shower/plumbing through iPac.  The cost of demolition for tile is much higher than ripping out carpet, and the possibility that something goes wrong is not trivial.  Plus, you are going to void your warranty for everything related to it.  Do you really want to be on the hook if you find out that water is leaking out from your shower and has rotted all of the wood any drywall beneath it?

I have a design meeting with IPac coming up this weekend and will get a realistic estimate on how much it would cost to get the same type of bathroom/kitchen upgrade with the builder. At the same time I've already collected a few bids from 3rd party contractors and design shops. I will be happy to post my numbers once I find out.

I have ready a lot about others' poor experience with the builder. Their logic is definitely valid. My game plan right now is to let the builder deal with all the electrical/wiring/lighting/plumbing/insulation related items only in order to keep the cost/benefit ration at the optimal. I also understand the warranty issue. About that, I can only say that even if I look for an outside contractor/designer, I better find a credible provider through references and careful planning/execution. There's no guarantee in this type of business. It's all about risk mitigation, damage control and cost/benefit ratio.

I think you have a pretty good game plan.  I've told my new home buyers to go through the builder when it comes to structural, lighting, cabinet upgrades, and/or significant upgrades like major electrical and plumbing items.  It's the cosmetic stuff like flooring, paint, fixtures, baseboards, built-ins, crown moldings, window coverings, etc that you can get much better pricing from 3rd party reputable contractors.  Keep us posted on your progress.

I heard that builders will still rip-you off for lighting/wiring options.  A friend of mine had recessed cans put in all of the bedrooms in his house and said it was MUCH cheaper than going through the builder.  Sure you have to cut drywall and run wires after the fact, but it is not complicated.  He was happy with the results.  I do agree on all other things that are more "permanent" like cabinetry.
Depends on the builder on how much they charge for lighting/wiring options.  The prices that Irvine Pac and Taylor Morrision have seem to be reasonable for the lighting/wiring options, but other builders have had higher prices.  Putting in recessed lighting isn't rocket science, but you better have a good electrician doing it.  The biggest ripoffs by far when it comes to upgrades for builders are flooring, window coverings, baseboards/crown moldings (all things that can be up in by a qualified contractor after closing).

USCTrojanCPA said:
akim997 said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
funkychalupa said:
uciguy said:

Depends on the builder on how much they charge for lighting/wiring options.  The prices that Irvine Pac and Taylor Morrision have seem to be reasonable for the lighting/wiring options, but other builders have had higher prices.  Putting in recessed lighting isn't rocket science, but you better have a good electrician doing it.  The biggest ripoffs by far when it comes to upgrades for builders are flooring, window coverings, baseboards/crown moldings (all things that can be up in by a qualified contractor after closing).

Yes and no, it depends. I have numbers here to prove it. I opted to go with builders (IPac) on can/recessed lights in various places throughout the home because, first, the price isn't necessarily higher than what an electrician might charge me. Builder is charging me $375 for 2 can lights ($187.50/per) or $675 for 4 can lights ($168.75/per) in a single room. I have had can lights installed in my condo before and it was $200 to $220 per light. They key is that the labor is more intensive if the job is done afterwards hence the potentially higher cost.

Crown molding is a ripoff from builder. IPac charges me $12.67/ft and I have a quote from a contractor for $8.25/ft materials+install+paint.

Baseboard is tricky. The house comes with 3 1/2" baseboards. So the house price already has this included. IPac charges me $1450 to upgrade to 5 1/4". Estimated linear footage is about 656 feet. I have an estimate from contractor for $2630 to "replace" old baseboard with 5 1/4" ones. So if you're just upgrading baseboards, go with the builder.

However, here comes the catch. If you're upgrading wood flooring, which is a definite NO from builder, you have to change the baseboards with it. You can't reuse the baseboards after they're ripped out for floor installation. So that means you are forced to replace the baseboards anyways. In this case, I'll recommend finding a flooring guy that offers free baseboard installation with flooring purchase. But make sure the bottom line price isn't bloated to a point where it's even more expensive than doing them separately. And don't remember the baseboards upstairs. Typically you don't have wood floors upstairs but rather just carpet. So make sure your flooring guy is willing to work with you on that.

IPac doesn't allow partial baseboard upgrades in the house. Either you get them all or you don't get any.

funkychalupa said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
akim997 said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
funkychalupa said:
uciguy said:

Yes and no, it depends. I have numbers here to prove it. I opted to go with builders (IPac) on can/recessed lights in various places throughout the home because, first, the price isn't necessarily higher than what an electrician might charge me. Builder is charging me $375 for 2 can lights ($187.50/per) or $675 for 4 can lights ($168.75/per) in a single room. I have had can lights installed in my condo before and it was $200 to $220 per light. They key is that the labor is more intensive if the job is done afterwards hence the potentially higher cost.

Crown molding is a ripoff from builder. IPac charges me $12.67/ft and I have a quote from a contractor for $8.25/ft materials+install+paint.

Baseboard is tricky. The house comes with 3 1/2" baseboards. So the house price already has this included. IPac charges me $1450 to upgrade to 5 1/4". Estimated linear footage is about 656 feet. I have an estimate from contractor for $2630 to "replace" old baseboard with 5 1/4" ones. So if you're just upgrading baseboards, go with the builder.

However, here comes the catch. If you're upgrading wood flooring, which is a definite NO from builder, you have to change the baseboards with it. You can't reuse the baseboards after they're ripped out for floor installation. So that means you are forced to replace the baseboards anyways. In this case, I'll recommend finding a flooring guy that offers free baseboard installation with flooring purchase. But make sure the bottom line price isn't bloated to a point where it's even more expensive than doing them separately. And don't remember the baseboards upstairs. Typically you don't have wood floors upstairs but rather just carpet. So make sure your flooring guy is willing to work with you on that.

IPac doesn't allow partial baseboard upgrades in the house. Either you get them all or you don't get any.
That quote you got for baseboards is way too high.  Go to World of Moldings in Santa Ana where you can pick up 4-6 inch baseboards for less than $1 per linear foot (MDF type).  Then have a painter or handyman come in to paint and install them.  Should run you about about $1,250.

USCTrojanCPA said:
funkychalupa said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
akim997 said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
funkychalupa said:
uciguy said:

Ya, for the baseboard, both the builder and contractor bid too high. That's why I've tentatively decided to go with this flooring guy who would do the baseboard for free with the wood floors. But your suggestion is also helpful for those who just wanna upgrade baseboards.

That quote you got for baseboards is way too high.  Go to World of Moldings in Santa Ana where you can pick up 4-6 inch baseboards for less than $1 per linear foot (MDF type).  Then have a painter or handyman come in to paint and install them.  Should run you about about $1,250.

Back