Distance learning?

bones said:
qwerty said:
With that said, I do agree that they provide some level of protection, to what extent we will probably never know.

Wowsa. One small step for calves, one giant leap for calvekind.

Baby steps, or perhaps baby calves :)

qwerty said:
bones said:
qwerty said:
With that said, I do agree that they provide some level of protection, to what extent we will probably never know.

Wowsa. One small step for calves, one giant leap for calvekind.

Baby steps, or perhaps baby calves :)

People wearing masks and properly social distancing is what will keep our opening process going. No masks and poor distancing will result in much faster spread and more hospitalizations.  Our trend is up nearly ten fold since the beach protest started, it?s almost July and a ?flu? like illness is still making hundreds sick daily. Eventually those increases will catch up to Joe public who will go back to hunkering down like the end of March.

Let?s go back to the distance learning question.

If a child has a cough but has not had covid test, should they be allowed in the classroom?

nosuchreality said:

If a child has a cough but has not had covid test, should they be allowed in the classroom?
No - I think everyone just has to be stricter regarding this. And I'm a culrpit - in the past, if they had a small cough (but no fever), I was sending them. Fever was usually when I would keep the kids home (or obviously if they were throwing up or you could just see behaviorally they weren't themselves (usually a pretty good indicator that they are feeling pretty rough). 

But with COVID - I think it is one where you got to get them tested just to confirm (for a few reasons - 1, selfishly you probably want to know, but also, you want to know so you can inform the school and/or others that they may have been exposed to ensure you minimize the chance that others unknowingly have it / have been exposed plus you want to know whether you all need to be self quarantining or not). 

Bullsback said:
nosuchreality said:

No - I think everyone just has to be stricter regarding this. And I'm a culrpit - in the past, if they had a small cough (but no fever), I was sending them. Fever was usually when I would keep the kids home (or obviously if they were throwing up or you could just see behaviorally they weren't themselves (usually a pretty good indicator that they are feeling pretty rough). 

But with COVID - I think it is one where you got to get them tested just to confirm (for a few reasons - 1, selfishly you probably want to know, but also, you want to know so you can inform the school and/or others that they may have been exposed to ensure you minimize the chance that others unknowingly have it / have been exposed plus you want to know whether you all need to be self quarantining or not). 

But therein likes the problem. Even with Covid, there is a segment of parents (cough qwerty cough) who may not think that it's a big deal and despite showing symptoms, will not test and will not keep their child home. There also could be other reasons (socioeconomic, work schedule, etc) why they send their kids to school sick but this is going to happen.

And not many kids are going to go home and say their BFF little Suzie or Johnnie was coughing on them before they go play with Poppops or Nana.

I think if you have at-risk family members at home, you need to be careful about what program choice you make and educate everyone on safety protocols.

I talked to my kids about this and they actually want to do traditional 5-days a week... but... we want to see how this latest surge pans out and also get more information on what kind of safety protocols will be put in place as most of the emails are just about the education programs.

What kind of cough?  How many times per minute cough?  What does the cough sound like?  Is it a qwerty cough?
Schools won't be able to monitor coughs.  They may do temperature checks but that also doesn't catch everyone.  I think this question is why the numbers show that there is a portion of the population that will opt for DL.

Yeah my sons school is going to be pretty strict. Need to be free of covid-like symptoms for 72 hours before going back or you have a doctors note essentially saying they don?t have covid.

So a traditional cold will keep my kid out of school for probably over a week. As soon as he is sick I would have to get a covid test for him and then his doctor would have to write a note saying he doesn?t have covid. And who knows how comfortable a doctor would be saying that given the lack of accuracy of these things.

It?s a good thing work from home arrangements are now more acceptable because to the extent parents have to go into the office they will likely have to work from home throughout the kids recovery from a cold plus 72 hours. Although I?m guessing most parents will just say the kids have been symptom free for 72 hours as soon as all of the symptoms are gone.

As IUSD considers a hybrid model, will they require all staff and students to wear NON-valved masks (i.e. masks WITHOUT exhalation valves).

Do NOT Use a Mask With a Filtered Valve (It Can Spread COVID-19)
"As you inhale, the incoming air is filtered. As you exhale, the outgoing mixture of carbon dioxide, oxygen, water vapor and, yes, possibly COVID-19 viral particles releases unfiltered. The San Francisco Department of Public Health actually tweeted a warning that these masks ?may actually propel your germs further." https://healthnewshub.org/health-ne...with-a-filtered-valve-it-can-spread-covid-19/

bones said:
What kind of cough?  How many times per minute cough?  What does the cough sound like?  Is it a qwerty cough?
Schools won't be able to monitor coughs.  They may do temperature checks but that also doesn't catch everyone.  I think this question is why the numbers show that there is a portion of the population that will opt for DL.

Well the guidelines say

Check for Signs and Symptoms
? Prevent discrimination against students who (or whose families) were or
are diagnosed with COVID-19.
? Actively encourage staff and students who are sick or who have recently
had close contact with a person with COVID-19 to stay home. Develop
policies that encourage sick staff and students to stay at home without
fear of reprisal, and ensure staff, students and students? families are
aware of these policies.
? Implement screening and other procedures for all staff and students
entering the facility.
o Conduct visual wellness checks of all students and take students?
temperature with a no-touch thermometer.
o Ask all individuals about COVID-19 symptoms within the last 24 hours
and whether anyone in their home has had COVID-19 symptoms or a
positive test.
o Make available and encourage use of hand-washing stations or
hand sanitizer.
o Document/track incidents of possible exposure and notify local
health officials, staff and families immediately of any positive case of
COVID-19 while maintaining confidentiality, as required under FERPA
and state law related to privacy of educational records. Additional
guidance can be found here. As noted in Section 9 below, the staff
liaison can serve a coordinating role to ensure prompt and
responsible notification.
o If a student is exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19, staff should
communicate with the parent/caregiver and refer to the student?s
health history form and/or emergency card to identify if the student
has a history of allergies.
? Monitor staff and students throughout the day for signs of illness; send
home students and staff with a fever of 100.4 degrees or higher, cough or
other COVID-19 symptoms.
? Policies should not penalize students and families for missing class.

And the Covid-19 symptom iinks to the CDC showing
Fever or chills
Cough
Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
Fatigue
Muscle or body aches
Headache
New loss of taste or smell
Sore throat
Congestion or runny nose
Nausea or vomiting
Diarrhea

Question to the District, kid has a cough, drippy nose, complains his throat is scratchy?  Check the health records for allergies and wave their hands?

I already hear, I have a health condition whenever people don't have masks and are asked.  The kid has allergies will be next?

My kid does have mild allergies, sometimes the oddball cough caused by nasal drip, or stuffy/runny nose a lot. 

Given IUSD's statement saying DL will have limited resources, don't they have an obligation to provide a safe environment?  Other Districts planning the same.

Will they get sued for turning kids away and sued for failing to turn kids away? 

Well, maybe that's their plan.  Spend homeroom every morning conducting COVID screening.  Send half the kids home because they exhibit symptoms.  Isolate them in the gymnasium with one credentialed teacher while the parents and administration sort/argue through it all.  The remaining half gets taught.  Distancing issues solved.

nosuchreality said:
bones said:

Well the guidelines say

%u2022 Prevent discrimination against students who (or whose families) were or
%u2022 Actively encourage staff and students who are sick or who have recently
fear of reprisal, and ensure staff, students and students%u2019 families are
aware of these policies.
%u2022 Implement screening and other procedures for all staff and students
entering the facility.
o Conduct visual wellness checks of all students and take students%u2019
positive test.
hand sanitizer.
communicate with the parent/caregiver and refer to the student%u2019s
%u2022 Monitor staff and students throughout the day for signs of illness; send
other COVID-19 symptoms.
%u2022 Policies should not penalize students and families for missing class.

Fever or chills
Cough
Fatigue
Muscle or body aches
Headache
Sore throat
Congestion or runny nose
Nausea or vomiting
Diarrhea

Question to the District, kid has a cough, drippy nose, complains his throat is scratchy?  Check the health records for allergies and wave their hands?

I already hear, I have a health condition whenever people don't have masks and are asked.  The kid has allergies will be next?

My kid does have mild allergies, sometimes the oddball cough caused by nasal drip, or stuffy/runny nose a lot. 

Given IUSD's statement saying DL will have limited resources, don't they have an obligation to provide a safe environment?  Other Districts planning the same.

Will they get sued for turning kids away and sued for failing to turn kids away?

You live in Orange so it does not matter.

The other wrinkle here is Covid can be asymptomatic but still contagious.

That's how all those bars are becoming super spreader sites.

eyephone said:
nosuchreality said:
bones said:

Well the guidelines say

%u2022 Prevent discrimination against students who (or whose families) were or
%u2022 Actively encourage staff and students who are sick or who have recently
fear of reprisal, and ensure staff, students and students%u2019 families are
aware of these policies.
%u2022 Implement screening and other procedures for all staff and students
entering the facility.
o Conduct visual wellness checks of all students and take students%u2019
positive test.
hand sanitizer.
communicate with the parent/caregiver and refer to the student%u2019s
%u2022 Monitor staff and students throughout the day for signs of illness; send
other COVID-19 symptoms.
%u2022 Policies should not penalize students and families for missing class.

Fever or chills
Cough
Fatigue
Muscle or body aches
Headache
Sore throat
Congestion or runny nose
Nausea or vomiting
Diarrhea

You live in Orange so it does not matter.

Wrong.

Today I watched Rand Paul showing graphs of European countries reopening schools and their covid cases staying low.  If he is right, then we can re-open in AUG w/o a significant uptick in cases. 

Every image I've seen and read of European schools include nasal swab checks, temperature scans and classrooms that are at 20% capacity of a typical American Classroom.

At least in Irvine, high school summer athletic camps have been postoned. Some started today.

How was qwerjunior's in-person school?

irvinehomeowner said:
At least in Irvine, high school summer athletic camps have been postoned. Some started today.

How was qwerjunior's in-person school?

It?s only been 3 days now. So far so good. They have their own desk and their own supply box so they don?t share anything. They don?t have to wear mask. While adults can wear mask I?m not big on the idea of kids wearing masks. They both like being with their friends and working from home is easier. They stay with their own group to minimize any potential spread. Checking in/out is via an app which is helpful.

qwerty said:
They both like being with their friends and working from home is easier.

Waitaminnut.

You send your kids out but you are still staying at home? What happened to "If I die, I die"? :)

#doasqwersaysnotasqwerdoes

Back