"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war".

aquabliss said:
CNN sends alerts and blasts news stories all over the front of their website every time Trump sneezes.  Now this story breaks and no alert and I can barely even find this story on their website, it was buried under all the Cohen news.

Tragic and extremely sad and upsetting as this news  is , if your main point is being upset about media bias I don?t think you are convincing anyone one way or another . Incidentally , this story was all that Fox News channel  covered wall to wall , ignoring everything else that happened that day . It was just one click away wasn?t it .

Now if you are being truly objective and apolitical here think about how should the media coverage yesterday have been if this was a democratic president . And there is your look-in-the-mirror answer.  We apply the lens we choose ,  to make every incident political and tribal (or not)  when it doesn?t need to be .

fortune11 said:
aquabliss said:
CNN sends alerts and blasts news stories all over the front of their website every time Trump sneezes.  Now this story breaks and no alert and I can barely even find this story on their website, it was buried under all the Cohen news.

Tragic and extremely sad and upsetting as this news  is , if your main point is being upset about media bias I don?t think you are convincing anyone one way or another . Incidentally , this story was all that Fox News channel  covered wall to wall , ignoring everything else that happened that day . It was just one click away wasn?t it .

Now if you are being truly objective and apolitical here think about how should the media coverage yesterday have been if this was a democratic president . And there is your look-in-the-mirror answer.  We apply the lens we choose ,  to make every incident political and tribal (or not)  when it doesn?t need to be .

if you actually watched fox news, you'd know what you just said is fake news.  manafort news and cohen news was covered as soon as it was released and every hour thereafter.  i know you don't really watch though because you can't stand it  :)

Kings said:
fortune11 said:
aquabliss said:

if you actually watched fox news, you'd know what you just said is fake news.  manafort news and cohen news was covered as soon as it was released and every hour thereafter.  i know you don't really watch though because you can't stand it  :)

On a lighter note , here is a meme  gif from Tucker on  Fox :)

Attachments

• PNG image.png
    PNG image.png
    682.1 KB · Views: 137
fortune11 said:
aquabliss said:

I?m not upset nor trying to convince anyone, simply being observant.  After awhile both Fox and CNN are annoying because of the games they play and the sway attempts they use.  I should rely on TI for news.

aquabliss said:
fortune11 said:
aquabliss said:

I?m not upset nor trying to convince anyone, simply being observant.  After awhile both Fox and CNN are annoying because of the games they play and the sway attempts they use.  I should rely on TI for news.

As a practical matter , I find abc 7 quite relevant ? good mix of local and national , David Muir (world news) is quite balanced in His approach as well .

To be fair to CNN, getting murdered by an unauthorized immigrant is hardly news. I'm sure MS13 kills people every week. The only thing particularly noteworthy about Mollie Tibbets is it happened in Idaho. Stuff like this isn't supposed to happen in the heartland.

Happiness said:
To be fair to CNN, getting murdered by an unauthorized immigrant is hardly news. I'm sure MS13 kills people every week. The only thing particularly noteworthy about Mollie Tibbets is it happened in Idaho. Stuff like this isn't supposed to happen in the heartland.

Thank you for being so candid  ? And this in a nutshell is the GOP strategy for fall midterms

Whip up racial and tribal hysteria ? after all if tax cuts and deregulation were as popular w the masses as they are w the rich self employed people on this forum, that would be the main issue.

But we will be back to ads about big bad pelosi and her MS13 gang which she is the fundraiser for .

Being intellectually honest would require comparing statistical data on murders and how many are committed by illegals (again , not passing judgement before the accused is found guilty) versus native born citizens.

aquabliss said:
fortune11 said:
aquabliss said:

that would be even worse  ;)

fortune11 said:
Happiness said:

Thank you for being so candid  ? And this in a nutshell is the GOP strategy for fall midterms

Whip up racial and tribal hysteria ? after all if tax cuts and deregulation were as popular w the masses as they are w the rich self employed people on this forum, that would be the main issue.

But we will be back to ads about big bad pelosi and her MS13 gang which she is the fundraiser for .

Being intellectually honest would require comparing statistical data on murders and how many are committed by illegals (again , not passing judgement before the accused is found guilty) versus native born citizens.

the difference being murders by illegals are avoidable, while murders by native born citizens will happen to matter what country you're in.  i think you would be hard pressed to argue that if all illegal aliens were deported tomorrow, murders would stay the same.  there is no supply and demand curve for murders.

Being intellectually honest would require comparing statistical data on murders and how many are committed by illegals (again , not passing judgement before the accused is found guilty) versus native born citizens

This itself is not an honest comparison. The number if illegal aliens in this country range from 8m to 22m. There's no way to compare as the measuring standard for one group is unknown.

What do we know? If you are in the country in violation of current law, you must be deported back to your country of origin. According to news reports though this person passed e-verify so who knows what's going on with this single case.

But... but... the strawberries, and restaurants... and you can't deport 30 million undocumented. Sure, there will be disruption... as there is disruption NOW. Cash, under the table wages suppress all wages. Being in favor of illegal immigration is akin to be in favor of wage slavery, and that's unacceptable IMHO. I'd rather see people out of the shadows being paid a decent wage while also paying $4.00 for an avocado - it's true price when wages are fairly paid.

All things are possible, but not all things can be done when there are so many unwilling to maintain the rule of law. To be very clear on this - I want a migrant worker program that works. I want immigration handled as quickly as possible and not by a system that's worse than the DMV. In the mean time, it's best to deport, fix the system so that free and fair immigration can take place, then also build a wall because no matter what, people will break the law. It's not too much to ask.

My .02c 

Kings said:
fortune11 said:
Happiness said:

the difference being murders by illegals are avoidable, while murders by native born citizens will happen to matter what country you're in.  i think you would be hard pressed to argue that if all illegal aliens were deported tomorrow, murders would stay the same.  there is no supply and demand curve for murders.

Well, thats the type of fantasy that sells in the right wing sphere without any substantiation  ?- If all illegals including those manicuring your lawns and picking your fruits were to vanish tomorrow , there would be an immediate hit to the economy and possibly a recession . Now crime does tend to statistically go up in a recession , and way more than the violent crime generated by illegals

So maybe our energies would be better spent creating conditions where ALL criminals (including gangs) would be deterred as opposed to solely focusing on otherwise law abiding undocumented .

And to be fair - our attention span when it comes to victims of such horrific tragedies is skewed by their closeness to our social-economic tribe .

Happiness said:

CNN deemed the story newsworthy right up until the suspect was named.  The 'Missing Iowa College Student' angle had been receiving coverage for about the past month.  They even reported breaking news on the missing body being found yesterday.  It's only when CNN realized the suspect was illegal and saw how damaging it was going to be politically that they decided the newsworthiness of the story wasn't there.

Also, I don't buy your 'heartland' premise.  The killing of Kate Steinle on Fishermans Wharf received lots of coverage even before Trump decided to make it a campaign issue.  It is newsworthy when illegal aliens kill people, and I agree it happens every week.

fortune11 said:
So maybe our energies would be better spent creating conditions where ALL criminals (including gangs) would be deterred as opposed to solely focusing on otherwise law abiding undocumented .

So eliminate sanctuary cities?

Sad as it may be , it is newsworthy only when the victims are white and photogenic . And this phenomenon well predates trump and the new race-baiting GOP .

So how come whenever an illegal alien commits murder the media reminds us about the millions of illegal immigrants who don't commit murder but when some crazy person commits a mass shooting the media does not remind us of the millions of law abiding gun owners who don't commit murder?

I don't necessarily disagree with the media's take on illegals but shouldn't everyone get the benefit of not being tarred by the actions of a bad apple?

Liar Loan said:
Happiness said:

CNN deemed the story newsworthy right up until the suspect was named.  The 'Missing Iowa College Student' angle had been receiving coverage for about the past month.  They even reported breaking news on the missing body being found yesterday.  It's only when CNN realized the suspect was illegal and saw how damaging it was going to be politically that they decided the newsworthiness of the story wasn't there.

Also, I don't buy your 'heartland' premise.  The killing of Kate Steinle on Fishermans Wharf received lots of coverage even before Trump decided to make it a campaign issue.  It is newsworthy when illegal aliens kill people, and I agree it happens every week.
But we expect that from the media. Rememer how fast the DC sniper media frenzy fizzled out when the media found out he was African American? The media killed the DC sniper story so fast they didn't even have time to blame the NRA.

fortune11 said:
Sad as it may be , it is newsworthy only when the victims are white and photogenic . And this phenomenon well predates trump and the new race-baiting GOP .

It's true.  The media prefers beautiful looking people for their stories, preferably with a sensational angle that will generate viewership.  You won't find much coverage of the 2,000 killed in Chicago each year, or even the local killings in Santa Ana or Anaheim.  It's too commonplace and there's nothing exceptional about any of the stories.

Back