Crickets

Chairman

Anyone else getting crickets in their home? I have come across three since I have moved in (mid March). I assume they must be behind the dry walls and finding ways out. One time one fell out of the ceiling in my bathroom as I was brushing my teeth. The little bugger lands right in the sink I am using. This morning I came across a live one downstairs. The other time I just came across one that was already dead. I also saw a dead baby cricket body on my driveway as I went to let the one I found this morning out.

I had a ton of them when we first got the house.  Remember that I have the issue with the garage door not able to complete seal at the bottom,  so whole tribes of crickets move in to my garage.  Also due to workers forgot to close the doors overnight during the last stage of construction and during renovations, many of crickets, bugs were inside of the house. 

However, after all the work was done and we clean up the place, no more crickets nor bugs.  We also been spraying around the house to keep ants, spiders out.  The one you found might be the last remnant from the construction/renovation days.

lnc said:
I had a ton of them when we first got the house.  Remember that I have the issue with the garage door not able to complete seal at the bottom,  so whole tribes of crickets move in to my garage.  Also due to workers forgot to close the doors overnight during the last stage of construction and during renovations, many of crickets, bugs were inside of the house. 

However, after all the work was done and we clean up the place, no more crickets nor bugs.  We also been spraying around the house to keep ants, spiders out.  The one you found might be the last remnant from the construction/renovation days.

does your garage door still not close all the way? i noticed im starting to get some gaps so probably need to adjust it. going to have to check out a youtube video first though.

qwerty said:
lnc said:

does your garage door still not close all the way? i noticed im starting to get some gaps so probably need to adjust it. going to have to check out a youtube video first though.

The garage door already been fixed, and all it need is a little adjustment on the travel. 

Thank zubs for the instruction.

zubs said:
I just installed a chamberlain garage opener last weekend.  After you secure the garage door opener to your garage, and door, there is a way to adjust the garage door to the open and closed position.  On my chamberlain garage opener, there is:
~up arrow button
~set button
~down arrow button

To set the garage open and close position, you manipulate these 3 buttons.  It will remember where you set the garage door at the open and closed position after you complete the adjustment.

Here are some images to help you.
Adjustmentbutton.jpg

Adjust-the-Travel-of-Your-Garage-Door-by-Turning-the-Travel-Screws.png

Since I just bought the Chamberlain 2 weeks ago, it has these buttons.  Older models uses the "turn with screwdriver" method for travel control.

So that's what I was swatting in my garage the other day? It was on it's back and still moving, and near the door to the entrance of the house.  I'm in Dove Canyon, so I guess anything is possible around here.

I hear them all night but I have found only dead ones in the garage and the backyard.  I signed up for quarterly sprays and that's taken care of my cricket problems ... and ant problems ... etc.

Now spider problems ... that's still a pain.

ZeroLot said:
I hear them all night but I have found only dead ones in the garage and the backyard.  I signed up for quarterly sprays and that's taken care of my cricket problems ... and ant problems ... etc.

Can you PM me your bug sprayer guy? Thinking about getting house sprayed outside. Thanks.

seems like they don't want to go outside either.  I try shooing them away and they just jump right back in the garage.  Sucks.. they eventually starve and then the ants come to eat.  ughhhhh.

Chairman said:
ZeroLot said:

Can you PM me your bug sprayer guy? Thinking about getting house sprayed outside. Thanks.

Done, just sent the PM to you.

You should call the HOA.  The HOA most likely has a pre-existing contract with a pest control company who comes out a few times a month to spray the common areas.  If you schedule them to come to your house on the same day they are already out in CV, it shouldn't cost too much.

I know PCM uses APM:http://animalpest.com/

APM only charges $35 to spray your house if they are in your community on the same day.  Pretty good deal especially compared to the rip-off services who keep knocking on your door trying to get you to sign a quarterly contract.

Crickets are also difficult to kill.  I recommend rolling up a newspaper to just knock them off the walls, and then kill them on the ground.  If you smash their guts while they are still crawling on your walls, you will end up staining your newly painted house.

Back