Creating Great Room like New Home Collection floorplan?

rkp

My wife loves the great room concept of the new homes in Woodbury and Stonegate.  San Marino and a couple Maricopa floorplans make her drool.  Actually her dream floorplan is Carmel 2B like this one: http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/27-Cassidy-92620/home/28931873.  Problem with that Carmel house is super small lot size and doesnt mix with rest of Woodbury.  Maricopa has horribly small lots and San Marino is much more expensive than resale in Woodbury and very close to Trabuco.

One idea I had was taking an existing home and butting out the kitchen to have that same glass conservatory dining area that all the San Marino homes have.  I was hoping to get some TI advice on a ballpark of how much this would cost and if communities like Woodbury would even allow it. 

We saw a Rosemoor plan C and we liked the location, the pseudo 3-car garage, lot size, etc.  Only thing missing was the expansive kitchen feeling and glass dining area.  I took a paintbrush stab at what I am envisioning.  If this is ~$50-100K, its worth looking into.  It involves breaking the wall and building out the new area.  Ripping out the island and putting a bigger one in with sink and dishwasher in the island.  Finally, I imagine I would need to replace cabinets to make everything match so really, its a full kitchen remodel + adding that extra space.

Original floorplan:http://floorplans.irvinerealtorsite.com/Woodbury/Rosemoor/RosemoorC2776.JPG
A sold house that shows the inside well:http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/62-Logan-92620/home/5958734

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    236.6 KB · Views: 304
I'm not a contractor but 3 things that stick out to me:

1. Plumbing for the sink in the island.

2. Busting out the back wall and how that affects the structural integrity of the floor above

3. Getting the HOA to sign-off on such an exterior change (easier if only lower floor I assume)

Reactions: rkp
thanks IHO - i had a feeling you would respond right away to this :) 

i didnt think about the structural integrity and the more i think about it, that might be the toughest part.

i guess the hard part is not knowing for sure what the HOA will approve before buying. 

yeah, im not contractor, but you have two issues to deal with.  the first, like IHO said - structural integrity - unless you don't mind ending up with posts to support where you demolished a load bearing wall (and i've seen this before in turtle rock).    second, is what you would do on the outside to the roof?  I've also seen houses with flat spots in turtle rock that eventually have water issues (siena streets).   

maybe you'd be better off executing such a strategy in an older single story home? 

after speaking to a few friends that did some extensive remodels, this feels like it would be somewhere between $50K-$75K.  the biggest challenge is whether or not the HOA approves. 

any one have experience making an offer with contingency that HOA approves your vision?  if that can be done, then i can take a contractor in who can provide a real estimate and something for HOA to look at. 

and to clarify my analysis, the san marino homes are about $1M plus upgrades and landscaping so assuming total outlay at about $1.1M.  san marino isnt located well and have small lots

the resale rosemoor 3 is $950K and has landscaping in front and back and is in better location with bigger lot.  it simply is missing that great room but makes up with more bedrooms and bigger garage.  if i can get the glass dining room plus california room worked out for under $100K, i think its worth the effort. 

what am i missing?

I'm still wondering if they can even move that plumbing... not just for water supply but for drainage to the sewer main.

2nd floor plumbing changes are easier because you aren't cutting into the slab... I remember something about newer homes using some type of tension slab where you can't cut into it because of the tension bars(?).

1) Removing the entire kitchen wall eliminated the 2 shear panels that resist lateral forces is a bad idea.

2) The new extension requires a concrete slab and there is no method to tack on to an existing post tension slab.

3) water and sewer lines are both buried and encased in the existing post tension slab that you will not be able cut or drill.

4) The rear kitchen wall is a load bearing wall. There is nothing holding up the second floor with the new design. A steel moment frame is required but the existing slab could not be amended to accept the steel columns.

5) Unless there is a lot of room at the rear yard the addition will likely violate setbacks.

6) The new design has more glass and a title 24 energy calculation is required.

thank you IHS!  i dont think this endeavor will work out...have to get my wife to like the rosemoor plan the way it is

my parents WLA 1930s house is built on a crawlspace and remodeling was pretty easy.  plus their house is 1 story...

irvinehomeshopper said:
Where about in WLA. Cheviot Hills, Marvista or Century proper?

i don't think our area had an official name...people called it WLA and palms....near intersection of sepulveda & venice.  you spent some time in WLA?

Back